[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ What were the names of the contrasting schools of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1463843818724.png (223 KB, 369x429) Image search: [Google]
1463843818724.png
223 KB, 369x429
Hey /lit/

What were the names of the contrasting schools of thought as far as interpreting novels, on whether the author's personal life should be taken into account and the text should be used as a way to understand the author's feeling/intention/motive, versus judging the work as standalone and independent of who wrote it

I was going to say auteurism but that's a film thing.

The term for it in literature seems to have escaped my mind

thanks guys
>>
>whether the author's personal life should be taken into account

Never. This is why prefaces are useless and cancerous.
>>
>>8120389
I tend to agree, but I'm just looking for the term for it. I'm retarded so I have forgotten it.
>>
>>8120380
Contre Sainte-Beuve? Death of the author?
>>
>>8120453
Yes, death of the author. That's it. Thank you anon.
>>
>>8120568
You're welcome.
>>
>>8120380
>the author's personal life should be taken into account
this just gave me flashbacks to when i had to read hemmingway in highschool and its horrible
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.