[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a case of an author that has gained popularity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1430922332866.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1430922332866.png
21 KB, 900x900
Has there ever been a case of an author that has gained popularity by solely writing cliche genre fiction for all of his career, suddenly completely changing the way he writes and publishing an unconventional book that actually has some depth and literary value? And then the fans end up rejecting it and hating the author for it because it wasn't the book they were expecting from him?
>>
>>8120087
Go back to /r9k/
>>
>>8120096
This wasn't the reply I was expecting from this thread. Did you not like the image I posted?
>>
Mark Twain in a way. Hence the shitty stapled on ending of Huckleberry Finn
>>
File: 1464743608815.jpg (345 KB, 872x925) Image search: [Google]
1464743608815.jpg
345 KB, 872x925
>>8120096
>le dumb frogposter meme
>>
Herman Melville, who was well known for his travel book Typee was completely forgotten after Moby-Dick.
>>
>>8120087
If you're asking whether or not anybody will take you seriously after you self-publish your first "book" then the answer is no.
>>
>>8120108
>ending
mark twain was writing lterary fiction though...
>>
>>8120515
Before Huck Finn? lolno
>>
Charles Dickens tried it with Great Expectations but then everyone flipped out on him and made him rewrite the ending
>>
>>8120354
yeah, but Typee is fantastic, and The Confidence man is one of my favorite novels of all time
>>
>>8120728
>but Typee is fantastic
>implying Mardi isn't superior
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.