[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Walter Benjamin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: walterbenjamin.jpg (102 KB, 685x1024) Image search: [Google]
walterbenjamin.jpg
102 KB, 685x1024
What does /lit/ think of Walter Benjamin?
>>
>>8116942
bad
>>
Required reading at my secret cabal of atheist jewish bankers trying to destroy christianity and the white man.
>>
File: 1464465699679.jpg (22 KB, 483x695) Image search: [Google]
1464465699679.jpg
22 KB, 483x695
>>8116959
>>
>>8116942
I enjoyed Age of Mechanical Reproduction (read it alongside the work of >>8117015
this guy), but I haven't gotten around to any of his other work.
>>
File: vertov.jpg (256 KB, 2048x680) Image search: [Google]
vertov.jpg
256 KB, 2048x680
>>8117077

Yeah, I read that one first- now I am currently reading through the rest of Illuminations: Essays & Reflections.

Really interesting essay. I feel like a lot of his ideas about film were influenced by Dziga Vertov (soviet marxist filmmaker) e.g. perceiving the work of art through the means of production (camera) or the use of film techniques (freeze frame, slow motion, etc) to reveal the bias of standard perception just as psychoanalysis does with language. In fact, he even references Vertov in the essay. Would definitely recommend watching Man With A Movie Camera if you enjoyed Benjamin's essay and haven't seen it already.
>>
>>8117107
good taste here my man

for any Benjamin newcomers, I recommend Surrealism: The Last Snapshot of the European Intelligentsia, Theses on the Concept of History and The Work of Art on the Age of It's Mechanical Reproduction
>>
>>8117107
>Man With A Movie Camera
I haven't seen it; thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out. I actually read the Benjamin as part of a larger book on Film Theory and Criticism (ed. Braudy & Cohen). If you're into film, it's turning out to be a pretty decent collection of writings so far.
>>
>>8117162

Thanks!

>>8117167

>Film Theory and Criticism (ed. Braudy & Cohen)

Sounds cool, I'll check it out.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.