[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/
>>
File: slide5.jpg (316 KB, 930x400) Image search: [Google]
slide5.jpg
316 KB, 930x400
>>
33 days until The Great Ordeal is released.

Is your body ready for more Kelmomas killan, Sorweel getting cucked and Achamian daughter fuckab?

Get hyped.
>>
>>8115580
S E R W A
E
R
W
A
>>
File: 3059605-inline-bdpresskit2111.jpg (82 KB, 640x467) Image search: [Google]
3059605-inline-bdpresskit2111.jpg
82 KB, 640x467
>>
>>8115507
You better stop with that shit.
40+ of the posts we could use for shitpostin- I mean discussion of sff books was wasted with your pics.
>>
rec some post apoc stuff pls. read metro, CfL, boy and his dog
>>
>>8115596
S L U T W A
L
U
T
W
A
>>
>>8115605
Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged
>>
File: Alpha and Omega (1908).jpg (2 MB, 2129x1189) Image search: [Google]
Alpha and Omega (1908).jpg
2 MB, 2129x1189
>>8115603
I was just getting the thread started off so it didn't die getting hidden. You should be thanking me.

I would talk Dune but, I haven't really had any good thoughts about it people haven't thought before. I have some questions about how the world works exactly that I'm elaborating on in my head reading it, but I don't think anyone wants to talk about it.
>>
>"There's three of you" - he looked at them - "And there's one of me. But there's not more of you than me. That's a mathematical paradox and an exception to the rule"
>"But... how?"
>"Fuck off, that's how"

Oy, banter got me rolling.
>>
>>8115650
Talk about Dinosaurs and their impact in our SFFG culture.
>>
>>8115650
I don't know much about Dune and would like to hear more about it. Summer brought in new /lit/izens that could use some light as well, so talk about whatever topics you want.
>>
>>8115650
>>8115685
I also am (very slowly) reading Dune for the first time. 100 pages in, nothing really happened yet except some hunter bat assassination thingie being caught and them talking about how cinnamon affects the economy. I'm guesing this is one of those books where the first 3/4 is build up and shit goes down towards the ending.
>>
File: Manola.jpg (42 KB, 268x600) Image search: [Google]
Manola.jpg
42 KB, 268x600
>>8115705
It takes Dune Messiah and Children of Dune to really properly snap as a full plot. Everything after is just cherry on top.
>>
I read Dune years ago and disliked it. Want to try again, but still waiting on a copy of Messiah.
>>
>>8115716
>reading past the first book
>>
>>8115721
Like I said last thread, the series has always had a place in my heart. It's what inspired me to get interested in writing when I was a kid that's carried on today. Now I just want to write non-fiction and a lot has changed, however. Anyways, like I said you can call the interest generic, I still find the world of it all so beautiful and striking.
>>
File: Old Woman (1909).jpg (377 KB, 490x990) Image search: [Google]
Old Woman (1909).jpg
377 KB, 490x990
What I always find so striking about Dune, is how Paul is both the antagonist and the protagonist. But it's never really ever, ever in a million years shouted down he's the antagonist. It's just gradally making you sympathize with him, as he himself comes to term with his thoughts and his future. It was written as why power is a negative, but it's always one step ahead in compromising your every day morals into getting the alien-ness of Paul himself. That's something that I'm excited to explore more in my reread.
>>
>>8115716
You don't include God Emperor of Dune even though it encapsulates the running themes of the series? Why not?
>>
>>8115823
Because it isn't needed, the initial three books are their own trilogy. You don't need it spelled out to you, though through God Emperor it's spelled out further, beautifully. I just think the further down you go, the even further you need to

The only running themes in the books is to convince you that someone going insane is actually far more sane than anyone else, just as in their minds. God Emperor shouts that down at you wonderfully, but I find the story of Paul to be more compelling as a tragic villain, than Leto II.
>>
>>8115836
To me that sounds like saying that the story of Moses renders the story of Jesus pointless. I consider GEoD necessary to form a complete circular story, but it's just a matter of opinion.
>>
>>8115854
It does. But I'm suggesting to people who first start on Dune, it may not be fully to their liking. Dune and its two other novels are alien enough to get into, and the story of a man given ultimate power inside of a worm might not be for the people who didn't like the philosophizing. I've run into that problem a lot.

I love GEoD, but I remember it still being a tough read.
>>
>>8115721
Without the sequels the first book isn't nearly as good since they give the original a different context.
>>
File: Musik (Lithograph) (1901).jpg (3 MB, 1650x3228) Image search: [Google]
Musik (Lithograph) (1901).jpg
3 MB, 1650x3228
In the sense of looking at Dune from the eye of knowing the author's intentions. You see Duke Leto as almost Kennedy like in nobility, and Paul as a justified hero. But if we're to see it through the eyes unbiased by soothe saying from the narritive built to trick you, it is interesting that you have the Baron Vladmir Harkonnen existing for the audience of everything wrong with power. Orgies, corruption, slavery, sex, all these things that make us repulse. But is it not hypocritical for the reader not to see Paul as similar, since he is responsible for endless death? Duke Leto for being responsible for the death of his house? Shaddam for conspiring?

Everyone is doing something justifiable to themselves, except for the Baron, and I always found his character odd and out of place and too abrasive. But reading it now, I think his character has significance as a cruel irony, that Paul despite his knowing of all things he will be, he still not self aware enough to see his parallel in Baron Harkonnen. Fitting still, narrative wise, it is revealed related to them. It's obvious knowing about it after the fact, but this stuff is so hidden inside of it wound up nobody would ever catch it. It's still clever.

I think the protagonist of the 3 stories really is either Alia or Lady Jessica.
>>
>>8115919
*revealed he is related to them
>>
>>8115643
why troll
>>
Did anyone read Stand on Zanzibar? Thoughts? It is pretty long I don't want to dive into shit.
>>
>all this dune posting
Are you all sandhuggers or something?
>>
>>8115605
Anthem - Ayn Rand
>>
>>8116159
There are many dimensions to how ass fart this post is.
>>
>>8115919
Dune dosent really have a set protag, its more of a grand tapestry told from many perspectives.
>>
File: 1456483003456.jpg (37 KB, 500x725) Image search: [Google]
1456483003456.jpg
37 KB, 500x725
What's some good military sci-fi beyond the big three? (Them being Starship Troopers, Forever War and Old Mans War.)
>>
>>8116185
>big three
>Old Mans War
???

Ender's Game, The Forge of God, The Mote in God's Eye. Dune?
>>
>>8116273
I wouldn't call Dune military SF because there's only two battles and it doesn't really focus on the military technology or war lifestyle.
>>
>>8115643
>>8116164
Sage - 3, 2, 1
>>
>>8116185
Neal Asher, BV Larson
>>
>>8116185
Hammer's Slammers: Armored cavalry mercenaries with plasma guns and hover tanks. A good starting place is are the short stories "The Butcher's Bill" and "The Interrogation Team"

RCN/Lt. Leary series: By the above author, essentially a Hornblower or Aubrey/Maturin style series in space.

Lost Fleet series: Fleet combat focused series, main character was in cryosleep for 100 years before being rescued by a retreating fleet. He finds that a century of warfare has resulted in both sides of the war basically degenerating to "just rush right at them bro."

The Dread Empire's Fall: Thousands of years in the future humanity is part of a vast interstellar empire, the race that created the empire eventually dies off/ascends and a civil war is started by one of the other races. Has both space combat and guerrilla warfare stuff.
>>
>>8115493
I want a book that has the world building and great story of ASOIAF..
>>
File: WoR_MAP-STORMSEAT_v02_fmt.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1364) Image search: [Google]
WoR_MAP-STORMSEAT_v02_fmt.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1364
>try to reread WoR
>the Shallan chapters
>oh god
>end up reading all of Kaladin's chapters from the arena fight to the end with some of Dalinar's and the whole ending bit
>call it a day
>>
File: 1447724887870.gif (1 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
1447724887870.gif
1 KB, 210x230
>>8116436
>ASOIAF
>Great story
>Worldbuilding
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102281.The_Big_Time
anyone got this? cant find it anywhere.
>>
Anyone read The Faded Sun triology?
>>
File: Ez pz.png (4 KB, 236x75) Image search: [Google]
Ez pz.png
4 KB, 236x75
>>8116523
>>
>>8116555
Faded Sun? Cherryh? Yes.
>>
File: Glass of wine and a good book.jpg (558 KB, 2048x1744) Image search: [Google]
Glass of wine and a good book.jpg
558 KB, 2048x1744
>you are walking minding your own business
>feel someone smack your ass
>turn around see pic related
>what do?
>>
>>8115680
What's this from?
>>
File: Stephen_Hickman_Magnus_Rex.jpg (39 KB, 510x700) Image search: [Google]
Stephen_Hickman_Magnus_Rex.jpg
39 KB, 510x700
>>8116683
>you are walking minding your own business
>feel someone smack your ass
>turn around see pic related
>what do?
>>
>>8116683
>>8116771
fuck off this isn't /b/
>>
>tfw 90% of the arabian nights is dull and completely unmemorable
>tfw so few fantasy novels old or new have a sense of wonder or whimsy
>>
>>
>tfw you like fairytale fantasy but cringe at romance
>tfw every book with a concept you like is romance
>>
>>
>>
>>
Anyone here read Robin Hobb? The Liveship Traders is pretty good desu senpai.
>>
File: 1462502860368.jpg (26 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1462502860368.jpg
26 KB, 720x405
Who is the Zizek of SFF?
>>
>>8115219
>Once it's done downloading I could upload it tomorrow if people are interested.

Go ahead
>>
>>8117040
I only read the first Farseer book, but the other anons said the rest of the series blows. What distinguishes Liveship Traders from other generic fantasy?
>>
File: DTB_DVD.jpg (47 KB, 355x500) Image search: [Google]
DTB_DVD.jpg
47 KB, 355x500
>>8113949
Sanderson's magic systems are generic as a fuck. The only time he really does rip off anime is pic related for his YA series (and he clearly can't into science fiction at all. Perfect State was clearly a watered down version of the Matrix too.)

The Reckoners
>Has Epics which appear following the appearance of Calamity, appearing as a red glowing star in the sky, which gifts powers to humans
>Upon becoming an Epic a human becomes an immoral sociopath who instinctively kills everyone in their vicinity and hunts down people they know in the interests of self preservation
>Each Epic has a seemingly random weakness (but relevant to them) tied to them that invalidates their powers eg music
>Each Epic obtains a power set which can range from anything from electrical powers to precognition
>MC (David) joins an elite underground organisation dedicated to killing Epics which actually contains Epics

Darker than Black
>Has Contractors who appear following the replacement of the real sky with the fake sky and Contractors are denoted by glowing stars in the sky
>Upon becoming a Contractor a human becomes an immoral sociopath who thinks rationally and prioritises their self preservation to the point of genocide
>Each Contractor has a seemingly random price which they must pay following the use of their powers which often weakens them or reduces the amount of time they can dedicate to combat
>Each Contracotr obtains a power set which can range from anywhere from electrical powers to chronokinesis
>MC (Hei) is part of an elite secret organisation dedicated to killing Contractors which actually contains Contractors

The difference between the two is that Reckoners goes to complete shit with Megan's 'imma access alternate dimesnion' powers, insane power levels and making Calamity into a whingy boy as well as having far worse worlbuilding than Darker than Black, whilst the latter only goes to shit in S2.
>>
>>8117040
I've read the farseer, liveship and tawny man trilogies. They were good for what they were, Fitz really should have gotten together with The Fool though, was very disappointed with the ending to the tawny man trilogy.
>>
>>8117044
Who's an overrated hack? GRRM I guess?
>>
>>8117092
Living ships?
>>
>>8117100
The other anons tell me the 2nd and 3rd Farseer books were overbearingly long and unrewarding. Are they wrong? Should I finish the trilogy?
>>
>>8117117
But those are in Banks' Culture novels, and if science fiction can't make it interesting, how can fantasy?
>>
>>8117120
>>8117092
The second one is very slow, but I liked the third one. I highly recommend finishing the trilogy because I don't think the first book stands very well on its own. Very few of her books do. They're written as trilogies for a reason.

She gets the pace a bit better with the Tawny Man trilogy. The Liveshop Trader trilogy is certainly the best-written though, despite the lack of a lovable first person perspective.
>>
>>8117129
The Culture series is shit tho.
>>
>>8117173
>expecting people to read a bloated 2k page trilogy just because the author keeps sandbagging their readers to maintain her royalty check.

thanks for replying, but that was one of the worst persuasive reviews i've ever read. i was really being open minded, but i'll sit this one out.
>>
>>8117194
lol culture ship names sooooo randum XD
>>
>>8117120
If you didn't like the first part I doubt you'll like the rest. I read it back in 2000 and I liked the trilogy a lot at the time but I've never reread it so I can't say how it holds up for me. There are much better stuff out there for sure but I think it's an above average series.

Not a must read by any means.
>>
>>8117203
Hey up to you m8. I think it depends on your perspective. She's not like a classic fantasy author who focuses on kings and the fate of empires. Instead she weaves a vast web of unique characters and creates a world full of mystery and mysticism. That's not for everyone, and in fact I personally think it suits female readers more.

That said, if you read Hobb, you need to consider what you want to get out of it. If you're hoping for good vs evil, epic battles, or divine beings and fireballs and shit, you're out of luck. If you want to read about real characters slowly uncovering shocking or unexpected secrets of the world's past in an environment of human failings and complex interaction, then Hobb is the author for you.

She does not have a concise manner of writing, so if you hate books for being overlong, or for not being self-contained, then that's fair enough. The revelations typically come in the third book, or late in the second book, of her trilogies, making the first 3/4s of the second book in every trilogy the most difficult to get through. That said, I think that Royal Assassin is by far the most bloated of her works, as most of the rest of her books use most of the words that they include.
>>
>>8117221
I liked the first part but I'm told the rest of the story hasn't earned the length.
>>
I have to confess that anything I read which isn't Sanderson feels bloated.
>>
>>8117224
Jesus, you're a really fair minded person. I can't even flame you.
>>
>>8117230
Sanderson doesn't have to be bloat, but he is empty calories.

Have you really examined his prose? It's like an ugly, uneven, barely nailed floor, just waiting for the planks to be ripped out.
>>
>>8117231
Well if you read the Rain Wild Chronicles on my advice then I'd be okay with you flaming me. It's fucking awful desu. Four books instead of three, and nothing happens for three and a half, and then the ending is rushed as fuck. And the characters read like they're from a Mills and Boon novel. And there are faggots everywhere. I haven't started her most recent trilogy yet as it's unfinished, but after reading the Rain Wild Chronicles I'm concerned that she's lost her way.
>>
>>8117225
I really can't comment on individual parts since I read it as a whole and they sort of float together in my memory. I don't remember any filler though.
>>
Just finished Brave New World, about to move onto Nineteen Eighty-Four. Afterwards I'm thinking of moving on to Asimov, and I was wondering if there is any recommended reading order for him/preferred books? My brother has a copy of The Caves of Steel and I'm thinking of just diving into it.
>>
>>8117214
Yeah, Iain Banks is pretty much reddit tier.
>>
>>8117249
Most modern readers who read Asimov will eventually mature and see that his writing sorely required better prose and characterization.

I'd recommend none of his novels, but if you have to, read the robot short stories, then Foundation.
>>
>>8117264
You're reddit tier baka faggot desu
>>
>>8117194
>>8117214
>>8117264
Hmm.
>>
Wow, actual productive discussion and reviews (Dune and Farseer), instead of disjointed one-off statements and shitposting. Who woulda thunk it?
>>
>>8117286
I'm a newfag to the thread and I don't know the conventions yet, so I had little choice but to offer productive discussion. Sorry.
>>
>>8117029
That looks gay as fuck. Please stop posting desu
>>
I've read all of Hobb's Fitz books but none of the others (Liveships, Soldier Son, Rain Wild). I read them as they came out so I can't remember enough for constructive discussion, but I agree that Hobb in general is very slow-paced.

If you like her characters, she can be a goldmine, however. Any book involving Fitz is basically a guaranteed read for me. I read to find out what's happening in his story, and not the world's (I'm not really sure the distinction makes sense).
>>
What are some non romance fantasy books with all the wonder and world building of Harry Potter or The Orphan's Tales?

No boring medieval euro fantasy pls
>>
>>8117365
You realise that Liveship Traders is better than any Fitz book right? And that when you were introduced to characters in The Golden Fool from Bingtown, you were supposed to know who they were?
>>
>>8117372
I knew there were characters from Liveship Traders in Golden Fool, and I didn't care.
>>
>>8117374
Have you read any of the Fitz and the Fool series? I'm holding off until the third book comes out, but I wanna know if it's on the same level as the other trilogies.
>>
Any end of the world caused by pathogen novels featuring a little girl protagonist?
>>
What's the best modern sci-fi and fantasy? I've read a good amount already but still need to fill in the gaps. A chart would help. Danke.
>>
>>8116705
The Witcher: Season of Storms
It's quite good, but doesn't hold up with the spirit of the old ones well.
Half of the book is banter, so yeah...
>>
>>8117400

Literally the first post
>>
>>8117376
Yes, I've read both of them. After the Tawny Man, I'd say this is a return to form from Hobb (Fool's Errand is excellent, but I thought Golden Fool and Fool's Fate to be comparatively weak).

That said, the first book is slooow even by Hobb's standards. The second book has some points in the story that have been long in coming for the series, and it really feels like I'm reading the final installment of Fitz's story. All in all, I'd rate it super comfy, even if Fitz is his usual frustrating self.

I think holding off until the third is a wise decision.
>>
Anyone reading the Expanse series? Just about done with book 2. I really like it so far.
>>
>>8117376
>>8117409
By the way, I forgot to mention, characters from the Liveships and Rain Wilds appear in the second book, so if you take the optimum path (like in >>8117372), then you might consider reading both before tackling the new Fitz.
>>
>>8117409
>(Fool's Errand is excellent, but I thought Golden Fool and Fool's Fate to be comparatively weak)
I also agree that Fool's Errand is the best book in the trilogy - and possibly the closest her Realm of the Elderlings stuff has come to a stand-alone book - but I liked Fool's Fate. The reveals weren't quite as good as in her other series, but learning about Outislanders was fun, and the whole saving the Fool thing felt suitably epic and characterful.

I'd still call it a return to form if its good though, because the Rain Wild Chronicles were pretty bad.

>That said, the first book is slooow even by Hobb's standards. The second book has some points in the story that have been long in coming for the series, and it really feels like I'm reading the final installment of Fitz's story. All in all, I'd rate it super comfy, even if Fitz is his usual frustrating self.

Sounds good, I look forward to reading it. Shame that the third book's not due to be released this year. And I'm glad that it's called "Fitz and the Fool", because the Fool running off at the end of the last book was annoying after everything that had happened.

>>8117416
Awesome thanks.
>>
>>8117420
I remember only rough impressions from the Tawny Man (it's amazing how bad my memory is with books...), but with regard to Fool's Fate, I remember being left off with a bitter taste because of Burrich's death. Not in itself specifically, but that I felt he was killed off just so Fitz's story could be bow-wrapped with a happy ending with Molly. Now, I like Fitz, and I certainly hoped for a different kind of ending from Farseer, but I didn't feel good about how it was done. That said, since that one event overshadows pretty much everything I remember about the book, perhaps I'm being unfair to it.

Yeah, I hoped Hobb could keep up with the book a year routine, but alas. I won't comment on the Fool thing, since if you'll be holding off until the third I don't want to give you any shakes!
>>
>>8117447
I agree entirely with what you just said. Burrich's death was shoe-horned in massively. He's happily living with Molly and for pretty much no reason Fitz tells him that he's still alive, after decades of concealing the truth, and then somehow Burrich (despite being blind) manages to get to Aslevjal just in time to die in front of Fitz. It was a terrible, anti-climactic end to a character who appeared to be fading gracefully into the night with age.

And thanks for not commenting on the trilogy so as not to spoil it. Have you read her short stories? I read the Piebald Prince and I have Inheritance, but I've only just started it.

You said above that you took "the optimum path". What did you make of the ending of the Rain Wild Chronicles? I was really looking forward to learning where the white acid in the river came from, and what destroyed the Elderlings, and why there were so many earthquakes in the Cursed Shores, but we didn't seem to be told any of that.
>>
>>8117465
I have "The Inheritance and Other Stories" on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. I don't think I've stumbled on any Hobb/Lindholm short stories in anthologies either, now that I think of it...

Nah man, I'm the pleb who explicitly did not take the optimum path. I know what the path was, but I was impatient in getting my Fitz fix satisfied and I ignored it totally.

I've had the Liveship Traders books on my shelf for about 14 years now. I've even lent them to others, and have them read the series, but I haven't read them myself. I've really blown it with the amount of unread books I have...
>>
>>8117511
Hah wow. I mean I have a lot of unread books on my bookshelves, but my autism demands that I completely finish every universe before starting a new one. You should definitely go back to it, even if you don't remember the Fitz books well, you don't really need to, and they're superb.
>>
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24 KB, 285x352
you have 10 seconds to name the best short story by this man
>>
>>8117519
The Dunwich Horror.
>>
>>8117516
Mine only extends to the current book at hand, luckily. Yeah I really should, maybe this'll be the wake up call I need...
>>
I just caught up to the released material in The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss, and I've quite enjoyed it. The fantasy elements are excellent, it's only a little grating where it touches on the way real things work, which the author seems to have a loose grip on (maturation, learning, the effects of malnutrition, physical combat, music).

Lev Grossman's Magicians Trilogy was also very good (the first book better than the others, though).
>>
>>8117519
The Negro Eggs
>>
>>8117519
The Rats in the Walls
Why isn't this one more popular? It's the only story of lovecraft that made me feel uncomfortable
>>
>>8117565
That makes me think of "Survivor Type" by Stephen King.
>>
>>8117565
Ooooooo my fucking nigger came here to post this
RitW is easily my fav after Mountains of Madness, but I never see it get any love.

Also really enjoyed Colour out of Space, probably taking the #3 spot
>>
>>8117667

>the n-word

I get it that this is 4chan and all but please could you not do that?
>>
>>8117670
He just said nigger.
Are you a special snowflake?
>>
>>8117670
Nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger
>>
>>8117708
>>8117710

Yeah, no.
I thought I could have discussion with like minded individuals who enjoy scifi and fantasy here and all I'm presented with is racism and sexism.
>>
>>8117714
neo-/lit/ has been full of immature newshits and retarded /pol/fags.
>>
What's up with Malazan and chauvinism?

>Woman woman woman woman woman woman woman woman

She has a fucking name, jesus christ, and it's not "woman"
>>
>>8117760
Nice b8 retard.
>>
>>8117714
NIGGER
(not even a /pol/tard, you're just a spineless faggot)
>>
File: kek.jpg (21 KB, 291x302) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
21 KB, 291x302
>>8117768
>falling for this fucktard's b8
>>8117760
>>
>>8117120
If you liked the first book keep reading, if you didn't then don't. It's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>8117714
>>>>>>>>tumblr
>>
File: 1507-0.jpg (47 KB, 400x596) Image search: [Google]
1507-0.jpg
47 KB, 400x596
Pre-2000 Terry Brooks stuff is great. The first Shannara book is very derivative of LOTR, but it's still a fun read, and the Heritage of Shannara is the absolute best Shannara sub-series.
Walker Boh is GOAT.

After 2000, just fucking stop. His prose becomes shit and he starts rehashing old plots.
>>
>>8117108
Sandkings is a GOAT short story

And most of GRRM stuff is fun to read, he is not better than most other fantasy/sci-fi writers, but he is definetly good.
>>
>>8117519
Music of Eric Zahn
>>
>>8117714
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
>>
>>8117814
And called the thing a shitposter
>>
>sffg
>no discussion on bakker
this general has become intelectually bankrupt. barely better than reddit
>>
>>8117841
Always report this 12 year old redditor.
>>
>>8117519
I'm not sure which is "the best" but I liked Polaris, The Doom that Came to Sarnath and The Tree the most.
>>
>>8117852
>Libcuck wants to report triggering posts
>Calls someone else a redditor
To be fair you could just be a sensitive tumblrina.
>>
>>8117410
I've read it but it's trash.
>>
>>8117670
>>8117714
lmao im mixed anyway I'll use my racial bonus however I like.
>>
File: ebin.png (194 KB, 359x542) Image search: [Google]
ebin.png
194 KB, 359x542
>>8115680
>This is the epitome of contemporary Polish literature
>>
File: 1458142450198.png (376 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1458142450198.png
376 KB, 1000x500
Who, character or author, is the Donald Trump of /sffg/?
>>
>>8117900
Mongrels have shit tier racial bonuses, always worse than any of the pure ones since they don't go all the way in either direction. The only exception is half orcs since pure orcs are too dumb and evil to fight with the good guys.
>>
>>8117928
Mace Tyrell/Joffery
>>
>>8116436
Prince of Nothing
>>
>>8117945
>half Orc
>half black

Literally the same thing
>>
File: IMG_387129381103198.jpg (28 KB, 526x402) Image search: [Google]
IMG_387129381103198.jpg
28 KB, 526x402
>>8117834
>bakker
>intellectual
>not reddit
Mate...
>>
>>8117404
I thought Sapkowski would never write another Witcher novel?
>>
>>8117519
There wasn't. Lovecraft was a shit writer who inspired the worst tropes in that genre of fiction.
>>
>>8118053
As much as I loathe the modern nerd culture devoid of imagination, Lovecraft did from time to time write a good story. In around 1000 pages of his works you'll have 300 worth reading, with A Color Out of Space being the best.
>>
>>8117916
Actually, Dukaj was named the best Polish author in the last 20 years and some even went as far as calling him "the heir of Lem".
Sapkowski is fun to read, but no sane person will call him the best Polish writer. He's a literate version of that one guy that sits outside of the bar and tells you funny stories when you buy him a beer.
>>
>>8118009
Need to get those royalties man.
Also, it's not a sequel, so he just squeezed it in as an "expansion" of the "untold stories in-between" and called it a day.
>>
>>8117987
this level of hypocrisy can only come from a follower of christ
>>
>>8118085
Hello Muhammad, please go away and take your "religion of peace" with you.
>>
>>8118085
>>8118090
Blaming religions for the problems of the world is like blaming a pimple appearing for nothing, and not someone's uncleanliness.
>>
File: IMG_243003665012292.jpg (51 KB, 960x658) Image search: [Google]
IMG_243003665012292.jpg
51 KB, 960x658
>>8118085
This level of trash meme game can come only from a Muslim
>>
>>8118090
>>8118092
>>8118100

stay buttrustled frienderinos
>>
>>8118109
This is a board where posting quality is important. Please, post on /mu/, /b/, /v/, /pol/, or /trash/. This is not the time and place for you. Thank you, I hope you understand.
>>
File: 1327974741374.png (252 KB, 357x346) Image search: [Google]
1327974741374.png
252 KB, 357x346
>>8118114
i like how i got that response but not the faggot with nothing more to say about bakker than that he's "reddit"

This place died long ago, let us learn the joy of the decomposing worm.
>>
>>8118129
It may be dead, but it's still the only board where I like to discuss books from time to time. Mostly non-fiction. I would appreciate if the genre fiction crowd didn't shit up this place as much as it was prophesied they would. Thanks.
>>
>>8118129
Bakker is quite popular amongst the redditors, it's a simple fact.
>>
/lit/'s pleb general
>>
>>8118136
well, I wouldn't know

you on the other hand, are obviously a reddit expert
>>
>>8117519
The Whisperer in the Dark.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-03-15-35-57.png (146 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-03-15-35-57.png
146 KB, 540x960
>>8118142
>>
>>8118159
So is Wolfe.
>>
>>8118170
That doesn't make Bakker a non reddit author
>>
>>8118172
Everyone is a reddit author.
>>
>>8118173
Except Hilaire Belloc and Graham Greene
>>
>>8118129
>>8118135
>/sffg/ was alive at some point.

Newfag here. How was it like?
>>
>>8118177
back in my day newfags lurked more
>>
>>8117794
terrible advice. first books don't have complete correlation with the quality of further entries. you're too stupid for rocket science. hell, you're probably too dumb for algebra.
>>
>>8118177
Good posters were 2/3rd of threads instead of 1/5th or less.
>>
>>8118177
I thought it was decent as recently as one/two months ago. We just need to exercise some communal self-control and stop taking the bait.

Currently reading Malazan book 4. Too much of a pain to drag it to work, so I'm also going through various novels as usual.
>>
>>8118273
I only take the bait 1/200th of the time (and that's when i get bored), especially when I'm not tripfagging. What's stopping you schmucks from exercising self control?
>>
>>8118279
The writer is a cuck.
>>
>>8118279
Shut up

>>8118294
Shut up
>>
>>8118302
Hello nigga feminist
>>
File: 1456137093382.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1456137093382.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>8118279
>Desert people are strongest
>This means the writer is a black supremacist

You're just as bad as the fuckers that think elves are a sign of white supremacy, maybe less pervasive.

Fuck off lad.
>>
File: Separation II.jpg (225 KB, 1000x678) Image search: [Google]
Separation II.jpg
225 KB, 1000x678
>>8118308
If you want to post random bullshit please go to /b/, /v/, /mu/, /pol/, /trash/. There are many boards that offer you the release of your stupidity, this is not one of them and quality is important. Thank you, I hope you understand. Shoo, shoo
>>
>>8118170
Redditors will circlejerk about the 'difficulty' of New Sun but won't actually discuss Wolfe's works.
>>
File: 1464250581358.jpg (4 MB, 4000x7700) Image search: [Google]
1464250581358.jpg
4 MB, 4000x7700
>>8117396
I had to look through a shot load of old threads to find this, now fuck off this should keep you occupied for a long time.
>>
>>8118315
Go back to your home reddit subhuman nigga
>>
>>8118326
Don't talk to yourself.
>>
The amount of new posters who only read genre fiction coming in has never been this high, this is embarrassing. This place is turning into /tv/ fast.
>>
>>8118319
There's actual useful discussion of Wolfe, but you have to prune for it. It's the same here.

Reddit isn't as bad as the memers make it out to be; 4chan is angrier, reddit's criticism isn't as incisive, but read together they cover each other's weaknesses.

>>8118315
I like your effort. I'm going to copypasta some of your other mom posts (no offense, I really do like them, lol).
>>
>>8118333
>saying this in the genre fiction general
>>
>>8118333
You know you sound stupid right?
>>
>>8118337
There's enough reason to read genre fiction, I love talking about it. But it's still embarassing that the most active threads now are genre fiction dedicated threads, and the political threads aren't anything more than screeching and harping about "duh jewz" by 18 year year with no desire to ever go to college or participate critically and skeptically.

It's just depressing seeing this place like this.
>>
>>8118341
If you're bitching about that and not,
>>8118326
>>8118308
>>8118294
>>8118279
That.
You have your priorities very straight.
>>
>>8118347
I'm not a /pol/ poster lol
>>
>>8118349
A bigger problem is SJW guys like
>>8118302
>>8118315
>>8118328

though.
>>
>>8118352
No they're not. People like you are a new phenomenon to /lit/. And a problem. You kill all discussions with your drooling lip hanging bullshit.
>>
>>8118356
Yes you are, sorry. If you like to discuss SJW centric works Reddit is the way to go.
>>
>>8118352
Oh shut up
>>
>>8118357
Spamming is a violation of rule.

>>8118358
What is your discussion? Screaming and shitting yourself over people you disagree with? Drooling and using buzzwords you heard on /pol/?

If you want to post random bullshit please go to /b/, /v/, /mu/, /pol/, /trash/. There are many boards that offer you the release of your stupidity, this is not one of them and quality is important. Thank you, I hope you understand. Shoo, shoo
>>
>>8117928
Walder Frey
>>
>>8118360
There is no disagreement from my side because it's not an opinion. If useless niggers are presented as intelligent or women made strong for no reason it's SJW fiction and doesn't belong here.

If you like to discuss SJW centric works Reddit is the way to go.
>>
>>8118366
Man, ever since moot broke /pol/ and made all these unemployed, bored idiots come here this place really went down the toilet. Here's your (You)
>>
File: Vampire II (1902).jpg (108 KB, 800x563) Image search: [Google]
Vampire II (1902).jpg
108 KB, 800x563
>>8118366
>There is no disagreement from my side

Then you shouldn't be wasting my time by disagreeing with me.

>it's not an opinion

The terrible quality of your posting is not an opinion. You probably only read genre.

>If useless niggers are presented as intelligent or women made strong for no reason it's SJW fiction and doesn't belong here

See? You can't go a second without proving to me you don't deserve to post on /lit/. You are a crossie and you need to leave.

>>
>>8117714
>and all I'm presented with is racism and sexism.
I'm serious here, go to Reddit you will find what you are looking for there.
>>
>>8118371
>>8118372
If you like to discuss SJW centric works Reddit is the way to go.
>>
I want all the non sffg people to leave, the dfw crowd is bored and shitposting up the thread.
>>
>>8118159
Does that mean Tolkien is a Reddit author too?
>>
>>8118374
You're talking with different anons. This place was never the place you thought it was. You are the one who needs to go back from whatever shithole you crawled out of.
>>
File: 1454122711565.jpg (12 KB, 273x270) Image search: [Google]
1454122711565.jpg
12 KB, 273x270
>/sffg/ pretending to be better than Reddit when all they read is anime in book form
>>
>>8118250
You're completely wrong. And gay.
>>
>>8118378
When was he ever not?
>>
>>8118376
No

>>8118385
It's interesting you're posting like you've been here for more than a month or less.
>>
>>8118391
>10. No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.
>>
>>8118391
Ssshhhhh you can stop now
>>
>>8117760
If you get triggered by the most common literally concept (don't repeat yourself too often) then you seriously should reevaluate your life.

Writers say "women" for the same reason they use "men" when referring to a character that reason is that it sounds retarded.

Also Malazan is literally the least chauvinistic(nice buzzword) fantasy book out there.
>>
>>8118397
Why are you typing like that. Why are you caring about criticism towards genre
>>
Holy shit, STFU.

This is /lit/ not /pol/, talk about book. If you want to talk about politics then fuck off to >>>/pol/
>>
>>8118279
Consider killing yourself. If you get triggered by the colour of someone's skin you are the problem.

Refugees are bad because of their violent ideology and unwillingness to integrate.
Not because their skin has a different colour.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61 KB, 800x600
>>8118345
Then make your own fucking general and shill it. I see the stupid questions general is taking off, so is the critique general.

After the first fag made this general i used to argue with my self and stay up till 3 in the morning bumping the general from page 10, I've personally made 8 threads(people were to lazy to make them then) and I uploaded 3 of the charts to imgur. I used to go into the archive, find charts that people made and up thme to imgur.

If you want something to happen you have to work for it, just like in real life. It doesn't just drop in your lap.

Want more discussion of non fantasy books? Think of a general that is close to a catch all, and shill it to kingdom come.
>>
>>8118416
Can you stop shitposting and read Iron Daughter already you useless nigger
>>
>>8118416
>i used to argue with my self and stay up till 3 in the morning bumping the general from page 10, I've personally made 8 threads(people were to lazy to make them then) and I uploaded 3 of the charts to imgur. I used to go into the archive, find charts that people made and up thme to imgur.
I hope this is satire.
>>
>>8118416
Are you honestly complaining about me and not the crying child lost in Costco shitting up the thread with his cleft palette.
>>
Which cyberpunk novel is the best?
>>
File: Melancholy III.jpg (112 KB, 1000x804) Image search: [Google]
Melancholy III.jpg
112 KB, 1000x804
>>8118429
Anything by Philip K Dick really. William Gibson's work is mostly hit and miss. Everything else is, various shades of mediocrity.
>>
Ok, cut the bickering and answer me this, /lit/

what are some good fantasy books that deconstruct this idea of "strong female characters"

Every time an author brags about this they take it so literally that every woman in the book has to be some type of all-powerful gay amazon with no flaws whatsoever

all I want is a human being, not some kind of overcompensation for the days of good old pulp, is it too much to ask?
>>
>>8118429
None are actually good afaik, unless you count Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
>>
>>8118437
Any decent book desu

start with Bakker, hell even GRRM
>>
>>8118419
Why do you want me to read Iron Daughter so bad? Is it that you actually trust my opinion?

Does this trust extend to your fine bred all white meat sister?
>>
>>8118437
Book of the New Sun honestly. Dorcas, Agia, Jolenta are all probably the only female characters I actually remember from all the sff I've read.
>>
>>8118437
What you're looking for, in answers in fantasy, likely doesn't exist. There's a reason genre exists in such a state, and it's not because it's good. George R.R. has wonderful characters of women, but it's still short.

You're likely to read non-fiction first before delving into fiction about the subject to craft deconstructions. It's been said better.
>>
>>8118437
What are you people even reading to the point this is actually a problem?

Do I just have an inbuilt shit detector or something?
>>
>>8118450
They're reading mostly only science fiction and fantasy probably.
>>
>>8118437
The Scar
Best Served Cold
Last Dragon by JM McDermott
>>
>>8118443
No but I don't think anyone except the shill has read it here, so I can only rely on you for a second opinion now since you seem to be the only one considering reading it. The description of the book sounds like my kind of thing too.
>>
>>8118420
Sadly it not, it does sound more autistic than it actually was though. I just did it till the general was self sufficient.

I can stay away for two days, come back, read out the old thread and find a new one up. My work is done. Didn't even like the scifi books much, but upped it to imgur all the same because using those 2 charts the anon made 5+ years ago was stupid.

If I still used to shill and make new threads, I would have upped the Cheryyl fag's list and maybe make a new category, mixed or some shit.
>>
>>8118448
>>8118437
>>8118453

I think this is only a problem with people who only read like 3 authors in the entire genre (from the same generation too, most likely) then act like its such a big deal
>>
>>8118437
sabriel, tigana
>>
>>8118459
lol your full of shit. i made and carried /sff/ until it became popular. i don't even know the fuck you are.
>>
>>8118466
Pushing out a shit the hardest isn't admirable. But it's impressive.
>>
>>8118466
>i made and carried /sff/ until it became popular.
No, I made and carried /sff/, you can't even distinguish your/you're
>>
>>8118442
Read Martin's A Storm of Swords, chapters Jaime III-VI, for a significant episode of the Brienne story.

Brienne is the female knight in Game of Thrones who isn't particularly pretty, smart, or likeable. She's also idealistic and naive, with an impractical sense of honor. And despite being ill treated by everyone and their mom, she still has a desperate desire to be liked by others. If that's the multifaceted characterization you're looking for.

God, I found a reason to actually rec GRRM. I feel dirty now, gonna go scrub my hands clean, desu.
>>
>>8118468
i didn't need to, i was too busy creating and single handedly working to keep /sffg/ going and posting 90% of new threads.
>>
File: King Arthur.jpg (95 KB, 804x604) Image search: [Google]
King Arthur.jpg
95 KB, 804x604
>>8118473
>Brienne is the female knight in Game of Thrones who isn't particularly pretty, smart, or likeable. She's also idealistic and naive, with an impractical sense of honor. And despite being ill treated by everyone and their mom, she still has a desperate desire to be liked by others. If that's the multifaceted characterization you're looking for.
Reminds me of someone.
>>
>>8118473
GRRM isnt even a bad author, just slow as all hell.
>>
>>8118477
No, I was busy creating and working to keep /sff/ going, you're just a cheap impostor
>>
>>8118380
Reddit is the place if you want to have moderated spaces without all the shouting at each other.

That is not an opinion just a fact.
>>
>>8118422
I'm not complaining, sorry it came across as that, just saying if you like non fantasy more, try and make a general with a catch all to garner as much posters as possible.

Prose and Rhyme general? You can get deep books, poems and shake-a-spear plays.
>>
>>8118383
And Reddit doesn't?
Have you seen their fantasy top list?
>>
>>8118445
No love for Valeria? :( She's literally the best waifu material of them. Dorcas is nice, but she wouldn't survive shark tank politics.
>>
>>8118363
>>8117969

>Anti-Trumpers are redditor ASOIAF fans
>>
>>8118429
Altered Carbon is bretty gud for what it's worth.
>>
>>8118487
Enjoy getting downvoted to fuck for saying that ASOIAF or whatever mainstream shit is waay overrated and forgetting to add a gay "but dass juss my opinion lolz XD" at the end of your post
>>
>>8118437
You are looking for Malazan.
>>
>>8118491
Valeria is my favorite of them all too

Agia a qt though
>>
>>8118485
He used to be good when his books were moving towards an end with a plan on how to execute it.
He doesn't seem to have an idea where to go and it's drawn out too much.
>>8118491
She's just kind of there. Not particularly interesting. She also doesn't get much screen time.
>>
File: Cupid and Psyche.jpg (57 KB, 463x600) Image search: [Google]
Cupid and Psyche.jpg
57 KB, 463x600
One thing, as a woman, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of pregnancy in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our rights and unwillingness. It's terrible body horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like forever. It breaks your pelvis in microfractures. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's desires for heirs in the past, or just their mindless desires in the present, override our own autonomy and emotions towards them, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish women weren't constantly written as "Men! But different!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable after shock and sobbing of it wear off as a child, for some people, and for many people, it doesn't wear off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of choice involved.
>>
>>8118499
That's why I'm here.

But apparently you don't understand that this comes at a price.
That price is that if someone sais something you don't want them to say you can't make them shut up.
>>
>>8118488
I want to discuss genre here. I really really do. It's hard when we have a tiny boy lost in the frozen food aisle screaming "ANTI-TRUMP! REDDIT! REDDIT! TUMBLR! REDDIT TUMBLR! SJW! REDDIT! SJW! REDDIT! ANTI-TRUMP! REDDIT!" like it's lost it's mom or something.

It kills discussions when it limits what you have to say about a topic "they" disagree with and if you talk about it more the harder they scream.
>>
>>8118509
Maybe you are looking in the wrong places?

SFF doesn't seem like the type of genre that explores pregnancies.
>>
>>8118510
>That price is that if someone sais something you don't want them to say you can't make them shut up.
>Implying that would be desirable in the first place

Just ignore the shitposters and pray that they'll leave faggot.

>>8118509
t. "Child free womyn" white trash
>>
>>8118510
The only problem is as long as it doesn't come at the cost of you repeating yourself. If you have issue go ahead and say it, but you cannot spam buzz words without argument and expect anyone to take you seriously enough to engage. This isn't disagreement this is shouting out people you don't like. Improve your posting quality, that is the bottom line.
>>
>>8118518
>Just ignore the shitposters and pray that they'll leave faggot.
That's the point.
>>
>>8118509
You may enjoy Parasite Eve. It's not particularly good - especially the beginning drags on forever - but it does have some pregnancy-inspired body horror going on.
>>
>>8118516
I was discussing genre fiction's failure to explore feminine themes, as others were.

>>8118518
>t. "Child free womyn" white trash

*farts*
>>
>>8118509
Probably because 80% of the publishing industry are women, attempting to even lightly tread on their egos results in blacklisting and broken contracts.

You've only got yourself to blame tumblr.
>>
>>8118508
Are you really accusing a fictional waifu of being boring. You, who browse a /sffg/?

She has an understated personality, yes. She's also knowledgeable, graceful, and methodical, which qualifies her as one of Wolfe's less blatantly masturbatory females. Those are great criteria for a woman, what's with you?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.