[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
iliad facing commentary which one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1370445471_DPChka6.jpg (60 KB, 480x399) Image search: [Google]
1370445471_DPChka6.jpg
60 KB, 480x399
I wish to memorize the iliad and odyssey in original ionian. I am going to learn attican greek first then ionian. what is a good version with facing translation and transliteration and commentary?
>>
The Loeb editions have the Greek and English face to face. There are no good commentaries on Homer besides the ones in the Cambridge Greek and Latin (Greek and Yellow) series which only cover a few books of each poem. There's also Geoffrey Steadman's editions of 6 & 22 of Iliad and 6-12 of Odyssey, which have the vocab and grammar on the same page or facing the text.

Also the Homeric dialect is just an older form of Attic/Ionic with a few differences in inflection.
>>
>>8111510
thanks. I went with Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek and got a facing copy of plato's symposium with translation by John Burnet and commentary by steadman. and the loeb book 1-12 of the illiad.

I figure symposium is as good a place as any to start.
>>
How long would it take someone to recite the entire thing from memory? Each one takes several hours just to read, I can't imagine saying them all at once
If you actually manage to learn it that'll be cool as fuck op
>>
>>8112367
I am a NEET. I might get bored of it. but I struggle to find shit to keep me busy. at the very least I can make money out of it by busking. think of it like the bored vampire problem. what do with all of eternity?

it would probably take a few years to fully memorize. essentially the greek version of the bard's apprenticeship was just learning to memorize the stories which were passed on entirely verbally.

I've just reached the point in my reading where not being able to read greek is causing problems because so much work is really a commentary on greek works.
>>
>>8112385
I feel like busking with it would be a waste, most people passing by would just assume you were a crazy guy speaking in gibberish. I was gonna say you could impress girls or use it as a party trick, but if you're neet...
>>
>>8112439
I'm australia. australians are like niggers in that if you use fancy words they get buttmad. i'd be more likely to get my head kicked in if i used it in a social situation.
>>
>>8112367
Boris Johnson can do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKRAJTgEuo
>>
>>8112530
hello australia, i'm writer.
>>
>>8111417
>I wish to memorize the iliad and odyssey in original ionian

Why? You want to be a hack fraud like Ion?
>>
>>8113660
lol no he can't.

OP if you actually manage to memorize the stuff at least don't try actually pronouncing any of it.
It sounds ridiculous and unintelligible like in that video.
t. greek
>>
>>8113885
Modern Greek obviously doesn't sound like ancient Greek so you don't have any authority on that.
>>
>>8114589
How do you know that anon isn't an ancient greek shitposting from across the acheron?
>>
>>8114589
>Modern Greek obviously doesn't sound like ancient Greek
>obviously
Are you baiting or something?
We're taught ancient greek at school here, what's your authority on the subject?
>>
bagles, f scott fizgerlad, lettucemore, edgar allen pope, chapstick
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.