[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes writing good? What makes writing bad? Most people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: fuckingamazing2.jpg (350 KB, 867x1300) Image search: [Google]
fuckingamazing2.jpg
350 KB, 867x1300
What makes writing good? What makes writing bad? Most people can recognize good writing, deep characters, a solid plot. Personally, I have never been able to articulate what makes any of these things (characters, plot, themes), poor or good. Do you guys have any resources into maybe some basics of this? How does a writer make a "good" character?
>>
>>8108525

>What makes writing good?

Is it obscure and needless convoluted?

>What makes writing bad?

Is it popular?
>>
>>8108525

Truth + good craft.
>>
>>8108527
I'm being genuine.

>>8108529
What exactly do you mean by truth?

What makes writing "well crafted"? It's easy to point at a painting and say "Yes, the brush strokes emulate a tree perfectly." Even if it's not a evocative or inspiring painting, you can see that it is crafted well. How do you do the same for writing?
>>
You keep asking yourself these things to nurture a sense of depth in yourself, and I'll keep improving my writing.
>>
>>8108538
It's more like "I don't really have any sort of objective standards I can think about and compare it to, so how do I actually improve my writing"

It's not like drawing or something where I can look at a person and see that it doesn't look like it's supposed to.
>>
>>8108542
How about you read say, The Old Man and the Sea, and then read Divergent.

Congratulations! You now see the difference. Now continue to read quality literature and continue to write and you will improve you writing.
>>
>>8108525
There's many ways to write well, but I think a good writer writes for himself and nobody else: he writes what he means and not what he thinks reads well.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.