[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ernest Hemingway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: hemingway.jpg (104 KB, 1025x1024) Image search: [Google]
hemingway.jpg
104 KB, 1025x1024
So tell me /lit/, are his books entry level tier easy reading, or is his supposed "iceberg" bullshit a real thing?
>>
>>8099021
He's high school English class-tier at best. Don't let anyone meme you into thinking otherwise.
>>
>>8099025
More like entry college tier.
>>
>>8099021
I love hemingway and no it's not an iceberg. Everything is laid out on the surface

also he is a giant poser

but then faggots like this >>8099025 somehow can't understand good prose when it is staring them in the face and hate him for the wrong reasons
probably because they had to read him in high school and as they hate actual reading or things that disagree with their accepted in-crowd in the literary community they have to make threads moaning about him
>>
>>8099032
Not even. That'd be like, Kafka or something. Memeingway's a notch below that.
>>
File: ErnieMemeingway.jpg (69 KB, 900x743) Image search: [Google]
ErnieMemeingway.jpg
69 KB, 900x743
>>8099035
>good prose
-Yeah. So this guy is only wearing a pair of dungarees, tight-fitting, see? He's well-built, wearing a pair of tight-fitting dungarees. You got that?
-Yes.
-How do you say it?
-He was a well-built fellow wearing tight-fitting dungarees.
-O.K. So he goes into town and finds a girl in a bar. She wants to go to bed with him. But he can't take no chances on account of that cargo. The police, see? The girl visits him at his house, but he can't take no chances. So he tells her, take it easy . . . Jesse stopped and looked at Otto. -You're goin to get paid for this and I ain't goin to get nothin.
-I've never sold anything yet, Otto said.
-Yeah. Well you can sell this, see. This is what people like to read about. Where was I? O.K. So she wants to stay, but he wants everything he has in his mind for shark-fishing. Chilano Bay, that's the place for shark-fishing. So he dives for sharks. The white ones and the nigger sharks. Those are the black ones. They don't kill the white ones, but he'll do it, see? He's not scared. He'll dive for any shark. Period.
Otto waited.
-How's that? asked the author.
-Well it isn't quite a story yet . . .
-What do you mean it isn't a story. You think I don't know what a story is? This is what people like to read about, realism, real men doing something, not a lot of crap in fancy trimmings.
You get me?
-Yes I . . .
-You're goin to get paid for it and I ain't goin to get nothin.
Jesse returned to admiring his chest.
>>
>>8099025
That's giving him some credit. The Great Gatsby is considered high school english tier, Hemingway doesn't even remotely reach the level of prose stylism displayed in that book.
>>
>>8099047
>I could remember Catherine but I knew I would get crazy if I thought about her when I was not sure yet I would see her, so I would not think about her, only about her a little, only about her with the car going slowly and clickingly, and some light through the canvas and my lying with Catherine on the floor of the car. Hard as the floor of the car to lie not thinking only feeling, having been away too long, the clothes wet and the floor moving only a little each time and lonesome inside and alone with wet clothing and hard floor for a wife. You did not love the floor of a flat-car nor guns with canvas jackets and the smell of vaselined metal or a canvas that rain leaked through, although it is very fine under a canvas and pleasant with guns; but you loved some one else whom now you knew was not even to be pretended there; you seeing now very clearly and coldly—not so coldly as clearly and emptily.
>>
The prose is really simple, but not as stone-cold as people describe it. You need to figure out what's going using your common sense, Hemingway rarely gives interpretations, i'd call it high school senior class level.
>>
>>8099021
I've learned one thing, if you want any positive recognition in critique threads write exactly like him.
>>
>>8099140
It doesn't seem worth saying that you will get a positive reception if you write exactly like a great writer. Are you retarded?
>>
>>8099140
t. Recktall Brown
>>
>>8099021
he looks old school as fuck, damn.
>>
His books are both easy and good.
>>
>>8099946
Your mom's both easy and good.
>>
>>8100042
> /LIT/ THE MOST INTELLIGENT BOARD ON 4CHAN, EVERYBODY
>>
>>8099021
I'll be a contrarian and say that the ice berg thing is absolutely true. Hemingway's biggest fault is his sentence by sentence lack of complexity, which is more of a turn off than a turn on to me. But his overarching stories, and even occasionally his prose, creates very broken images and symbolic resonances that are very impressive.

But otherwise, go to Raymond Carver for truly immaculate minimalism.
>>
>>8099021
hemmingway*
>>
I've only read "Hills look like white elephants" or something out of my Norton short stories collection

Did anyone else read it? What did you make out of it?
>>
I remember reading The Old Man and the Sea in 8th grade and laughing how he used the word "phosphorescent" every time he described the old man taking a piss off the side of the boat (probably 4 times in total).
>>
>>8099025
>Don't let anyone meme you into thinking otherwise
>meme you into thinking
Learn to speak properly, retard.
>>
>>8100943
Old man semen guzzling memester detected.
>>
>>8099047
kek
>>
>>8099021
Hemingway's influence is in the water

He figured out the science of writing 40 years before the writing workshop

Some of his short stories still PACK A WALLOP

Definitely a great writer but not a genius. Too systematic
>>
>>8101248
>the science of writing
This is exactly what makes him so terrible. Writing isn't a science. It's an artform. Conflating the two or denying the artistic aspects of writing leads to mass-produced workshoppy drivel that anyone can churn out by following a formula. That style and its proponents are all worthless without exception. He's patient zero of the epidemic and deserves to be treated like the leper that he is.
>>
I really enjoyed The Sun Also Rises

Moving onto Farewell to Arms and for whom the bell tolls after that. Then a reread of the old man and the sea, becauase it's supposed to be an allegory for his overall body of works, I should get more out of it then.

Remake this thread in a couple of months and I'll tell you what I think of Hemingway
>>
>>8099162
No I just mean that I have seen some pretty good imitations of other writers and they usually just get slapped with thesaurus abuse or some other accusation of pretentiousness but if someone writes like Hemingway its almost always lauded. And no, I don't have a dog in this fight. I think you need one hell of a bloated ego to have the hubris to write.
>>
>>8101993
>I think you need one hell of a bloated ego to have the hubris to write.
This is 100% true, but the average workshop-addled MFAutist's insistence that one must take their ego out of their work is disgusting for precisely that reason; they refuse to acknowledge that writing is an inherently selfish act by taking a perverse sort of pride in sucking Hemmmmmmmingway's dessicated old cock instead of trying to develop their own styles or even just choosing who they want to be influenced by for themselves because everyone else tells them that memeimalism is the way to go. The guys who praise him and writing like his should be mercilessly ridiculed because they're a cancer.
>>
>>8101966
farewell to arms is one of the best books I've ever read
>>
>>8099047
>Dialogue is an accurate example of prose.
You played yourself.
>>
>>8101966
The Sun Also Rises is my favorite book. To be read outside in the Summer, if possible.
>>
>>8102422
>thinking this is even from a Hemingway book
Who played who, exactly?
>>
>>8099047

this is what i got trying to google the text of the pasta...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817659/Mum-thinks-m-idiot-Dad-s-not-proud-Man-says-jumped-dead-whale-thought-funny-didn-t-realise-close-mauled-great-white-shark.html
>>
File: People can't be this retarded.jpg (164 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
People can't be this retarded.jpg
164 KB, 1024x1024
>"iceberg" bullshit
You seem to have already made up your mind. Why make this thread?

And what do you mean "real thing?" Are you asking whether literature can express things without explicitly stating them? Are you really asking that?
>>
>>8102694
As appropriate as that is, you would've gotten it by googling the first sentence (without the dash in the beginning).
>>
>>8102809

i'm not kidding though, that story about a guy, who climbed on the whale in distress (pic related) to help it, comes the first (at least for me) if you google the following line which i randomly selected:

He was a well-built fellow wearing tight-fitting dungarees.-O.K. So he goes into town and finds a girl in a bar. She wants to go to bed with him. But he can't take no chances on account of that cargo. The police, see?
>>
File: google_is.png (16 KB, 807x332) Image search: [Google]
google_is.png
16 KB, 807x332
actually, the further tests showed that googling it while selecting from >>8099047 gives one result and while selecting from my post - another

google, how it even works
>>
>>8102859
>>8102878
I know you're not kidding. I don't doubt your search results, and I honestly think it's hilariously appropriate for that story to come up in reference to that quote for all sorts of reasons.

I'm just saying that if you put this in, without the quotation marks "Yeah. So this guy is only wearing a pair of dungarees, tight-fitting, see? He's well-built, wearing a pair of tight-fitting dungarees. You got that?" should work as seen in pic related.

Though I suppose it depends on which regional flavor of google you're using, since there may be algorithmic discrepancies.
>>
>>8102779
Why so pissy? Pose your opinion if you think you're so fucking correct. Virgin.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.