[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any late night lurkers? Wondering if you could critique this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1st-draft-shit.jpg (72 KB, 440x550) Image search: [Google]
1st-draft-shit.jpg
72 KB, 440x550
Any late night lurkers?

Wondering if you could critique this flash story. I am willing to take some insults, but maybe you could offer some general critique as well.

Thanks for your time.

I've finished my two eggs. Scrambled. With pepper. Two and a
half shakes of pepper. I

left one bite full on the plate. Have to leave the one bite full on the plate.

I have to turn off the light above my stove. Off. On again to make sure it's working. And off. Good. Everything is good.

I have to make sure the outside is still there. I don't have to. I want to. It's just a joke really. I do it every morning. But still. It's just a joke.

I have to put my shoes on before I open the door to check if the outside is still there. It doesn't matter that I'm not stepping outside. I have to wear the shoes before I can check. I don't have to. I want to. It's just a joke. Really, it is.

I tie the laces tight. Left shoe first. Always the left shoe first. And then the right. I cannot do the right one first, it wouldn't be right. Left. Then right. It's the right way.

Shoes on. I can go check. I unlock the door. I lock the door. I have to make sure the lock is working. I unlock the door. I lock the door. I unlock the door. I lock the door. I unlock the door.

No. No, no, no, no. Did I check it twice? Unlock, then lock, then unlock, then lock, then unlock? Or did I only do unlock, lock, then unlock? This isn't good. If I check it again, will it be right, or will I have done it too many times? I have to do it the right amount of times. I can't do it less. I can't do it more. No, no, no, no. Why is this happening? It's just a joke, really. I don't have to....

Twice or three times? This is not good. How many times? Do I check it again? I could just walk away from it. But I have to check to see if the outside is still there. I don't have to. I want to. It's just a joke, really. I have to check, I have to check, I have to decide on the lock.

One more time. I'm sure of it. That will be two. It has to be two. It doesn't have to be. Lock. Was that two, or three? I have to check if the outside is still there. Unlock.

I open the door.

The outside is not there.

That's not the outside. That's not the normal outside. It's yellow. It's bright yellow space. And dogs. Dogs are flying. I think they are dogs. They are animals. And they have children in their teeth? Or dolls? It doesn't matter. I checked to see if the outside was there. I did do that. I did check. I didn't have to. It's just a joke, really. I have more pressing concerns.

Did I check the lock twice or three times? I can undo it if I did it three times instead of two. Before I close it. I don't have to. I want to. It's a joke, really.

Lock. Unlock. That's minus one. Is it at two now, or did I make it one? Lock. Unlock.

The outside that is not there is being loud. I have to concentrate.

Lock. Unlock.
>>
Wtf. Bit different but interested in where this ocd madman is going. Please continue for further appraisal
>>
>>8096326
Very good depiction of OCD.
good job on not breaking the present-tense narrative.
Flying dogs aren't terribly creative, but I don't think that's the point.

Good job, I like it
>>
I wonder if that was the first draft of his quote.
>>
>>8096335
Uh oh.

This is always kind of the biggest critique of all my work. A lot of people say it just doesn't look like there is an ending.

That was a perfectly valid ending in my head when I wrote it. Like the setup, you see this guy has a thing, he opens the door and it is utter chaos absurdity outside, and he immediately dismisses and concentrates on his rituals again. That being the ending.

Although, so many people say this about most of my work, last workshop I had, there was a bunch about no ending or no explanation (different story)
>>
>>8096342
>342 ▶
>I wonder if that was the first draft of his quo
top kek
>>
>>8096336
Thanks, man. I appreciate you taking the time.
>>
>>8096336
Echo all this. The dog flying sentence stood out (negatively) for me as well.

Good job
>>
>>8096356
I was just coming up with something kind of absurd, end of the world, totally out of the realm of reality, to kind of hilight one, how he has a kind of madness, or and two, that his condition, getting everything perfect outweighs even something so drastic that is happening outside, and if he even caused that by not going outside correctly.

You, and the other anon, pointing this out though, maybe I can change the scene. Equally out there, but maybe not a dog
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.