[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>If someone were to assign to every person in the world the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Herodotos_Met_91.8.jpg (165 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
800px-Herodotos_Met_91.8.jpg
165 KB, 800x1200
>If someone were to assign to every person in the world the task of selecting the best of all customs, each one, after thorough consideration, would choose those of his own people, so strongly do humans believe that their own customs are the best ones. Therefore only a madman would treat such things as a laughing matter. There are many weighty proofs which confirm that all people have these strong attachments to their own customs, but let me describe this particularly interesting one: During his reign, Darius summoned the Hellenes at his court and asked them how much money they would accept for eating the bodies of their dead fathers. They answered that they would not do that for any amount of money. Later, Darius summoned some Indians called Kallatiai, who do eat their dead parents. In the presence of the Hellenes, with an interpreter to inform them of what was said, he asked the Indians how much money they would accept to burn the bodies of their dead fathers. They responded with an outcry, ordering him to shut his mouth lest he offend the gods. Well, then, that is how people think, and so it seems to me that Pindar was right when he said in his poetry that custom is king of all.

Why do people discount Herodotus based on trivialities about animals in far-off regions when he is sharp as a fucking razor on the stuff that really matters?
>>
MUH REALPOLITIK HELLENE

*grabs pais and shuffles feet*
>>
>>8094581
Because most people are ruled by custom, and it is popular to dislike Herodotus. If you ever find an unpopular thinker interesting you'll be met with ridicule by most. Remember anon: most people are more affected by connotation than meaning.

Thucydides is based too.

"The strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must."
>>
>>8094581
>'It's all subjective!! XD'

Take the fucking redpill already, cuck

White customs are superior
>>
>>8094581
So what's the fucking point? People have customs? Pretty obvious shit, dude.
>>
>>8094581
>Why do people discount Herodotus

I've never heard a real, genuine historian discount him. Mistakes are to be expected when dealing with ancient times. However, there's a reason he's known as the Father of History, and why he's remembered

He got a lot more correct than he got wrong
>>
>>8094641
You're missing the important point faggot.

People subjectively believe that their customs are correct, and will fight for them and irrationally support them.

What you're talking about is which culture is competitively advantageous, and to that the answer was whites, but that's quickly changing
>>
>>8094646
the fuck are you trying to achieve?
i've seen you posting on half-dozen threads today in /lit/ with the same ridiculous parody of /pol/ rhetoric
>>
>>8094671
oops meant to >>8094641
>>
>>8094659
>People subjectively believe that their customs are correct, and will fight for them and irrationally support them.

Naaawwwwwww, really? That's some deep shit, bro. How did he come up with such penetrating insights?
>>
>>8094695
It's easy to be a sarcastic cocksucker, but if you thought about it for a second you'd realize it is a unique insight. 2,5000 years after he wrote those words Conservatives tried to implant democracy into the middle east with disastrous results, and the left today thinks that imported refugee's will work just fine in our society. The vast majority of people have no idea how right he is
>>
>>8094789
yeah um, I don't care.
>>
File: 1433772273922.jpg (234 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
1433772273922.jpg
234 KB, 1032x774
>>8096628
>>
>>8094789
Yeah though technically if you're only trying to implant ""democracy"" in order to get the oil, the lies that you say aren't necessarily as smart as your actual conception of the truth. It just means that you weren't too dedicated whilst thinking up the lie. And why would you when the sheepish american masses will turn a blind eye and even thank their masters for bluepilling them while they also enjoy the economic benefits of that same oil americanization with none of the guilty conscience?

All of this is not to say "fuck the establishment", but simply that your example/argument is invalid
>>
>>8096628
Then don't post
>>
>>8094659
>People subjectively believe that their customs are correct, and will fight for them and irrationally support them.

Except of course if you're a white, university educated American from California. Then all your customs are "oppressive" and "colonialist".
>>
>>8098482
How far did you put your stick in your ass today? Personally I was bold and went for 15cms and I'm really happy I did.
>>
>>8094646

This. The passage wasn't very insightful.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.