[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any self-help books that are actually good? Looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: oblomo_gontcharov_ivan-300x225.jpg (30 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
oblomo_gontcharov_ivan-300x225.jpg
30 KB, 300x225
Are there any self-help books that are actually good?

Looking for something that will make me stop being a lazy fuck and stop wasting time on 4chan and vidya and shit.

Please help, you are my only hope.
>>
>>8090986
I guess your best bet will be Ego and its Own by Max Stirner. Ignore it's meme status and don't get discouraged if you're new to philosophy, it's an easy read.

Self-help books just don't cut it anymore once you're well-read enough and can see past the bullshit that those books are full off.
>>
>>8091045
Have it on my shelf actually, never got around to reading more than a few chapters, though. Might give it a go, thanks for the rec.
>>
>>8091058
Also I'd suggest to simply pick up some philosophy books on a subject you're interested in and study like a madman. If you're anything like me, you'll get obsessed with it and get into a state of pleasant tension and focus, which is beneficial to you in getting the other shit done
>>
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, OP. Seriously. To paraphrase a really good quote: "God didn't make me to spend the day warm in bed" or something.
>>
>>8090986
The Way to Wealth by Benjamin Franklin
>>
Feelin Good - David Burns
This is a book on CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)mostly for depression.
He has a chapter called Do-Nothingism that deals with the topic of procrastination.
>>
Succeed:How We Can Reach Our Goals - Heidi Grant Halvorson

Written by an actual social psychologist.Focuses on aplication of some research applicable in everyday life.
Nothing earth-shattering but you can pick up some useful details.
>>
>>8092287
Marcus Aurelius wasn't a monotheist, dumbass. And his book is garbage.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 670x424) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 670x424
>>8092287
>God didn't make me to spend the day warm in bed"
Oh?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.