[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ever since the beats, poetry has either been black people (poorly)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1463634701163.jpg (1 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1463634701163.jpg
1 KB, 125x125
ever since the beats, poetry has either been black people (poorly) imitating Langston hughes and maya angelou, women writing about feminism in a "quirky" and "ironic" way, or white people pumping their work full of lazy references to other writers.

pretty sure I sound snobbish here, but I haven't found anything good except for the remaining beats and new York school poets, and their days are numbered (Lawrence ferlinghetti is fucking 98). are there any young poets (millennials, 30s, 40s) who are as good as, say, John Ashbury?
>>
>>8089475
Дaшeвcкий.
>>
>>8089475
Neil Hilborn is pretty decent, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.
>>
>>8089475
I really like Mexican modern poets. But you really need to choose who you read. Most of these people don't write for a living so they do it because they really feel it.
>>
>>8089499
is that that fucking ocd slam dude
>>
>>8089531
Yeah. That one is shit, but he also has some really good ones. The ones he performs are never as good as his others.
>>
>>8089475
It's because the best minds of our generation are starving, hysterical and naked.

And were expelled from the academies for crazy and publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull.

All joking aside though SJWism has an entire lost generation of intellectuals to answer for
>>
>>8089475
Who are some of these poets you're talking about, could you give some examples? Since you know so much and I'm not quite familiar with the poetry you mention.
>>
>>8089475
ashbery is shit though
>>
>>8089640
the alt lits, spearheaded by mira Gonzalez, tao lin, and steve roddenbuck, African American poets like Amari Baraka, frank marshal davis, Dudley randall, jay wright, Margaret walker (this could go on forever really), and feminist poets who've ventured beyond slam, like patricia lockwood (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/magazine/the-smutty-metaphor-queen-of-lawrence-kansas.html?_r=0) and throngs of other poets whos names I didn't care to remember.
>>
File: 1463800883241.jpg (58 KB, 640x474) Image search: [Google]
1463800883241.jpg
58 KB, 640x474
>>8089499
Fucking kill yourself holy shit Neil Hilborne is a tryhard quirky hack for creative writing majors to reference to pretend they're aware of contemporary poetry between marathoning Dr. Who and playing Magic The Gathering.

>>8089475
You don't sound snobbish, most of /lit/ refuses to admit the Beats had value.

Try these:
>Terrance Hayes
>Michael Dickman
>Karla Kelsey
>Sherman Alexie
>>
Henri Cole
Robert Fernandez
>>
bump (I like this thread)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.