[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on The Witcher series by Andrjez Sapkowski?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: The Witcher Series.jpg (504 KB, 1500x746) Image search: [Google]
The Witcher Series.jpg
504 KB, 1500x746
Thoughts on The Witcher series by Andrjez Sapkowski?
>>
>>>/v/

you have to go back
>>
I listen to fantasy and sci-fi books on my commute to work and daily walks. I really liked the Last Wish. Blood of Elves I'm not done with, but it's decent.

Never played any Witcher games, and I know audiobooks are probably heretical on this board, but honestly I tend to prefer listening to books instead of music sometimes. Especially when you're sitting in traffic. I still read too, but usually higher-brow stuff or nonfiction.
>>
File: Witcher 2077.jpg (221 KB, 700x1016) Image search: [Google]
Witcher 2077.jpg
221 KB, 700x1016
>>8083398
I don't play video games.
Besides that's a retarded opinion, the books came before the games and were wildly successful in Poland before anyone even thought of translating them.
You could send most posters here to >>>/tv/ by that logic.
>>
>>8083410
I find it difficult to get into audiobooks. There's something about not being wholly focussed on the story that leaves me feeling as though I'm missing out on a great level of implicit understanding I could get by reading.
This is why I mostly stick to podcasts.
>>
>>8083453
Some narrators are much better than others. I think it's a good medium for really entertaining stuff that doesn't have a ton of substance or whatever. Using fantasy books as an example: Stormlight Archive is a great listen. I wouldn't listen to the Prince of Nothing books or Urth of the New Sun if you gave them to me for free though.

The Last Wish on Audible has a fantastic narrator, but it takes a little to grow accustomed to his accent (at least it did for me).
>>
>>8083387
The short stories were good. The novels are cool too, but I don't like serialized fiction.
>>
File: 60154.jpg (129 KB, 288x475) Image search: [Google]
60154.jpg
129 KB, 288x475
I bought The last Wish some time ago but never got around to reading it, a friend of mine noticed it in my bookshelf and went on a rampage about how much of a shameless Michael Moorcock knockoff is and how much Geralt is basically a reskin of Elric.

Mind you, Im currently reading The sailor at the seas of fate, so I guess I will have to see it for myself once I finish it, but what does /lit/ think? was he right?
>>
>>8083530
There are superficial similarities between the two. I've only read the Witcher short stories, so I don't know if we see deeper into Geralt or if he changes over the course of the serialized novels, but I don't really think the two have much in common other than albinism and using herbs/drugs.
>>
Am also curious. I haven't read fantasy since I was in middle school like a decade ago but enjoy the writing and lore in the games enough that I would read these.
>>
>>8083807
start with the short stories. Sword of Destiny is the first compilation, The Last Wish is the second.
>>
>'There's a grain of truth in every fairy tale,' said the witcher quietly. 'Love and blood. They both possess a mighty power. Wizards and learned men have been racking their brains over this for years, but they haven't arrived at anything except that—’
>‘That what, Geralt?’
>‘It has to be true love.'
Ebin, simply ebin.
>>
>>8083880
Nigga it's a fucking fantasy series. Go read a "real" book if some sappy writing upsets your pseudo-intellectual tummy.
>>
>>8083387
Nothing like the games.
>>
>>8083813
You have the order of those mixed. Sword of Destiny is second yet was published first.
>>
>>8083415
The main fanbases here are Gene Wolfe, Joyce, DFW, Stirner, Hegel and Christfriends.

None of those are really TV friendly, with the exception of the very platitudinous Jason Segel vehicle about Wallace
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.