[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I learn to write prose like a professional? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1464176994798.jpg (88 KB, 417x498) Image search: [Google]
1464176994798.jpg
88 KB, 417x498
How can I learn to write prose like a professional? I'm willing to put in the effort it takes. I have a novella outlined out but I don't think I have the skills to do it well.
>>
nigga is u dumb

how do you learn to fight like an MMA fighter? how do you learn to drive a car? how do you learn mathematics?

nigga u practise

u start out shit, but u practise everyday senpai

then we all gon make it
>>
File: goodthinking.jpg (112 KB, 594x691) Image search: [Google]
goodthinking.jpg
112 KB, 594x691
>>8082162
>nigga is u dumb
>how do you learn to fight like an MMA fighter? how do you learn to drive a car? how do you learn mathematics?
>nigga u practise
>u start out shit, but u practise everyday senpai
>then we all gon make it
this. Ironically this post is prose, it's authentic and truthful.
>>
>>8082152
Read more, live more, write more.
>>
>dont take anyone's advice ever
>be irony or circular or whatever, but all you can do is write your ass off
>figure out what you like (Jamesian multi-clause masterpiece or diamon-cut Hemingway prose, etc) and copy it
>develop a good ear by reading a lot
>never sacrifice content for artsiness. beautiful, hollow prose is a waste of time. people want stories,not flowers.
>write until you have a sentence you actually want to read (assuming you have good taste)
>>
>>8082152
Just start fucking writing it, if you read over it and its bad edit it, if you read over it and its still bad edit it again
>>
>>8082243
>>dont take anyone's advice ever

retarded advice
>>
>>8082253
and i didn't mean to be ironic or meta
>>
If there was ever one piece of advice that would determine being a good writer or not, there would be more good writers. You can't teach good writing, and not any one person can say what is and what is not condusive to good writing definitively. It's a bit of a generalization on my behalf, sure, and maybe I'm muddling the difference between friendly advice and education, but at the end of the day a writer must write how they write. And if its shitty then they have to figure that out. Ain't no one got time or any special advice that's gonna transform you from pleb tier fucktard to Joycean protege.
>>
>>8082267
retarded advice again
>>
>>8082277
Thats confirming his point
>>
>>8082281
how's that? i could instantly dole out advice that would chop off 100% of the shitty mistakes amateurs pull and stuff even intermediates and masters haven't figured out.

advice that would save them 10-50 years of producing pablum that you'd wipe your ass with.

that's worth taking advice.
>>
all of you are retarded.

stop bitching, take a bunch of cw classes at uni, shell out the cash and get an mfa, and write nice and juicy hallmark sentences so you can get published by the Alice Munro derivative loving cucks at the New Yorker.

or just give up on the whole deal bc i whens the last time youve read a paris review interview where the author credits an image board for giving him the turn around to write the next great novel.
>>
>>8082292
Sure, but whether what you says translates to actual style means jack shit. You're assuming there are universals that all writers can avoid in every sigle case to get a good product. But give me one piece of advice and I can find you a confirmation where ignoring your advice led to the overall benefit of the writers style. Barthelme would bitchslap your ass.
>>
>>8082302
sorry, dude. some advice i could give is even applicable to prosody, not just mechanics. there's certain distillations of style you can be made aware of that all of the best literary authors use.
>>
Just write the story OP, most of these idiots dont even write themselves so they cant possibly tell you anything you cant learn on your own.

Literally if you want to git gud, dont ask /lit/ for shit
>>
>>8082316
more shitty advice!
>>
>>8082318
>just finishing the story and learning from the experience
versus
>asking a bunch of wankers who can barely finish their own work on how to write anything, and getting confused between all these varying gradations of shit

gee i dunno senpai
>>
>>8082327
nigga i'm not saying he should ask you guys, i'm saying he should ask me desu :^)
>>
>>8082243
>don't take anyone's advice ever

Okay, so I should not take your advice as well, therefore I should take everyone'a advice, including yours, which says not to take advice. It's a paradox
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.