[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been struggling to force myself to read recently. Since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1446326615045.jpg (173 KB, 555x503) Image search: [Google]
1446326615045.jpg
173 KB, 555x503
I've been struggling to force myself to read recently. Since I was a child I've had trouble paying attention and when I try to read my mind wanders quite a lot. My reading ability is fine, however. Do any of you struggle with similar issues? If so, how do you combat them?
>>
>>8080563
You might unlock the gates to heaven here.

It's called concentration and it takes practice.
>>
diogenes was literally me
>>
>>8080629
you're not diogenes until you go to your town square and make a fool of yourself.
>>
>>8080656
and make obama or trump come to your shack so you could drive him away
>>
>>8080656
ive been know to have autistic episodes at the grocery store.
>>
>>8080664
that's something, work your courage up to a town square + broadcast on your social medias
>>
>>8080563
Epicurus lived in a garden. "Other philosophers" is wrong
>>
Set a specific time each day to read for at least an hour at that time, and follow it every day; you can take the weekend off if you want. If you're already doing this and your mind is still wandering, perhaps you should try switching the medium to audiobooks for a while, and see if there is any change.

I like to read an hour before I go to sleep, and I also read for around half an hour after waking up.
>>
>>8080563
Take a 30mg dose of adderall IR.
>>
>>8080563
My first answer is going to sound kind of stupid to those who haven't tried it but I promise you it has 100 percent worked for me. No-mind/zen meditation. I know, I know it sounds like hippy garbage. However there are a lot of scientific studies that show meditation has the ability to boost brain function.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation) Basically what happens to your brain when you meditate in the traditional japanese sense of the word is you're separating frontal lobe activity from the rest of your brain, thus temporarily training your brain to lock out distractions. Repeated daily practice of 10-30minutes a day of meditation will definitely improve your focus no matter what, however its more of a question of willpower to make your brain go through extensive periods of nothingness(here is a guided meditation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpUNAFHgxM). Another way to train your willpower to improve your attention is running but i'm sure alot of people wont be to excited to pick that up as a hobby. If your lazy as fuck and want to take the easy way around this just buy adrafinil online (instead of taking an amphetamine like aderall that shit sucks after a while). [http://www.powdercity.com/products/adrafinil-dosage-review?gclid=Cj0KEQjw94-6BRDkk568hcyg3-YBEiQAnmuwkg-HGs9g_fRnithNTBiPgo63w7Ib0YmdtWamCwnGybIaAodx8P8HAQ]
>>
>>8080858
Good advice now he will have not only trouble concentrating but also an adderall dependency
>>
>>8080563
I'm bored doing most other things, so reading isn't hard for me unless the book sux
>>
File: 1452368496133.jpg (147 KB, 625x621) Image search: [Google]
1452368496133.jpg
147 KB, 625x621
>>8080906
This is pretty much the "easiest" way to train your concentration. And it has a transfer-effect on other activities in your life like reading, studying, anything that requires any kind of effort of the mind. If you are into zen, look up mushin and try to maintain that mindset of "flow". The ideology and the dogma of buddhism/zen (in my opinion) was just made up to make the monks that practiced the religions feel purposeful in their lives.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.