[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished pic related and I honestly did not anticipate the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 413HGXT0H8L.jpg (23 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
413HGXT0H8L.jpg
23 KB, 333x500
Just finished pic related and I honestly did not anticipate the sorrow I felt reading the last couple of chapters.

Is there supposed to be some sort of ultimate point to this story? Was it supposed to be a parody reflecting Cervantes's thoughts on Chivalry? Or was Cervantes's goal to write an emotionally provocative story with no 2deep4u meaning?
>>
What do you think?
>>
Does anyone really think this book is sorrowful or did they just get meme'd by Dostoevsky and other romantics?

It's hilarious and it would be impossible for Quixote's death to be more melodramatic. IIRC, Cervantes even explicitly states that he is killing off Don so that no one else can use them for their stories.

I mean I guess you could interpret that as 2 DEEP 4 U 27th dimension tragedy but come on, be real.
>>
Still have to read this translation.
>>
It makes (some) people mad that life isn't taken seriously.
>>
>>8080474
I'm not entirely sure, but I think Cervantes main purpose was to get the readers to react to every little detail of the story. Considering the spectrum of reactions I have experienced while reading this book--whether it be sorrow, laughter, pensiveness, anger, confusion, etc--, I think Cervantes was flexing his ability to direct the readers psyche into a phantasmagoria of emotions. It's kind of hard to pinpoint an ultimate purpose when this book covers so many "points", such as nihilism, hedonism, greed, exploitation, etc. Cervantes became enthralled with the character(s) and story he though of, and seemed to want his readers to experience that same excitement. He did refer to the book as his child after all (or something of the sort). This a very vague interpretation of a story, and can be possibly applied to ever work of fiction created, but OH WELL.
>>8080496
It is a hilarious book, however, I could not help but to feel bad for how Don Quixote's delusions were exploited particularly in the second part. What made the ending so dreadful for me was how Don Quixote realizes his insanity. Dunno, perhaps I'm just a little bitch.
>>
>>8080383
Oh, God almighty, how can you appriciate him in this lousy translation? And why is this simplified version so popular amongst literary normies?
>>
Which translation should i aim for?
>>
File: Don_Quixote_2.jpg (324 KB, 1210x964) Image search: [Google]
Don_Quixote_2.jpg
324 KB, 1210x964
The main theme and point is this:

"O senor," said Don Antonio, "may God forgive you the wrong you have done the whole world in trying to bring the most amusing madman in it back to his senses. Do you not see, senor, that the gain by Don Quixote's sanity can never equal the enjoyment his crazies give? But my belief is that all the senor bachelor's pains will be of no avail to bring a man so hopelessly cracked to his senses again; and if it were not uncharitable, I would say may Don Quixote never be cured, for by his recovery we lose not only his own drolleries, but his squire Sancho Panza's too, any one of which is enough to turn melancholy itself into merriment."
>>
>>8080609
Special snowflake
>>
>>8080383
>no 2deep4u meaning
Believe it or not, not every fucking novel is like this, which might be contrary to what you were taught in 10th grade.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.