[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misery of the English language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 21
File: anal_or_not_anal.jpg (32 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
anal_or_not_anal.jpg
32 KB, 600x337
Hello there, my little literary friends. Is there anyone of you who felt disgust and disrespect at English after having learned another, more advanced European language? I personally have been living in Russia for almost 10 years now and reading Russian classics made me really wonder at all those people saying that English is the finest and most refined language. English grammar's rigidity is colossal compared to that of Russian. There are so many things in Russian that don't exist in English. What are your experiences?
>>
>>8078247
>English is the finest and most refined language
Lol, no. Who the fuck says that?
>>
>>8078256
I had read elsewhere on the internet.
>>
>>8078247
As a non-native speaker I quite like English for its simplicity. It's quite easy to write something half-way decent in your language.

Nonetheless, I can see where you're coming from. I love German for its flexibility.
>>
>>8078247
English transcends all the other by far. OP is an anglophobe.
>>
The worst language desu
>>
>>8078256
I hear it called the most flexible and nuanced language a lot
>>
>>8078292
>not being an anglophobe
pleb
>>
>>8078385
Go back to your 3d world shit hole
>>
OP makes the point.
>>
>>8078399
*nglo pleb detected
>>
synthetic language > analytic language
>>
>>8078475
no
>>
lmao it doesn't even matter that english sucks since the vast majority of meritable literature is written in english so what you gonna do rly
>>
I am a non-native English speaker with a background in linguistics, and let me tell you, English can give any language in the world a run for its money in terms of how nuanced and refined the semantics of it are. Not to mention it has the largest vocabulary of all the spoken languages, and a syntax so complex it will give your everyday быдлo daytime seizures.
>>
>>8078542
engrish is shit by its pronunciation.
>>
>>8078542
>English can give any language in the world a run for its money in terms of how nuanced and refined the semantics of it are.
>a syntax so complex
And you're comparing this to how many languages...? Something like Montague Semantics isn't even that hard to learn.
>>
File: 1439090053041.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1439090053041.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
>>8078542
>>8078247
English has been a misery since the eternal anglo refuses to use these words

(‘here-’ words) here; hereabout, hereabouts, hereafter, hereagain, hereagainst, hereas, hereat, herebefore, hereby, herefore, herefrom, herein, hereinafter, hereinbefore, hereinto, hereof, hereon, hereto, heretofore, hereunder, hereunto, hereupon, herewith, herewithal
(‘there-’ words) there; thereabout, thereabouts, thereafter, thereagain, thereagainst, thereamong, thereas, thereat, therebefore, therebeside, thereby, therefore, therefrom, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore, thereinto, thereof, thereon, thereto, theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, thereupon, therewith, therewithal
(‘where-’ words) where; whereabout, whereabouts, whereafter, whereagain, whereagainst, whereamong, whereas, whereat, wherebefore, whereby, wherefore, wherefrom, wherein, whereinafter, whereinbefore, whereinto, whereof, whereon, whereto, wheretofore, whereunder, whereunto, whereupon, wherewith, wherewithal
>>
>>8078247

Ha. That scene is pretty funny. Although I would have preferred they fuck the chick who played Cervantes' travel companion rather than the chick who played Shakespeare's wife. Could have turned it into a 4 way, too. Could have been great but I remember being disappointed.
>>
>>8078627
>stick 2 words
>call it new word
why is this allowed?
>>
>>8078627
I see what you're trying to say, but sadly you make no fucking point. Using native Germanic words over Latin/Anglo-Norman French borrowings offers no real benefit to anyone other than transitory pleasure to snobs like yourself.

Misery, and eternal are both non-Germanic words, like hundreds of thousands of others which are now a part and parcel of the English language.

Further, most of those words are still in use in literature and legal documents. Using some of these in informal contexts is downright stupid, if not merely pretentious.
>>
>>8078675
This is a common process by which languages come up with new words. A lot of native Germanic words are formed this way, such as understand, therefore, hereafter, and so on.

Quit being a retard.
>>
>>8078675
>Non native speaker detected

If you dont get it on the natch a true understanding of english will be forever inaccessible 2U
>>
>>8078658
>I would have preferred they fuck the chick who played Cervantes' travel companion
I felt pretty much the same while fapping on the video
>>
>>8078542
>with a background in linguistics
only within your mind
>>
I like English for its versatility and flexibility and for how efficiently descriptive it can be (I particularly enjoy all those onomatopoeic verbs like buzzing, whirring, clanking, don't know if there are other languages that have this too), but I hate how arbitrary it can be in regards to pronunciation and how you can't know how to pronounce a word just by reading it. I remember mispronouncing words despite being a decently-read native speaker just because I had never said or heard the word out loud before.

Being also a native French speaker who studies Spanish, the simplicity and clarity of Spanish and how beautifully logical it is most of the time made me realize how bogged down in needlessly complicated arcane bullshit French is in a lot of ways. But its complexity is its charm, I suppose.
>>
>>8078745
>English
>flexibility
flexibility with a fixed word order compared to those languages with free? seriously?
>onomatopoeic verbs
Russian also has a lot of them, and maybe every language does in a way.
>>
>>8078627
wtf are you talking about?
who refuses to use "whereas"?

also
>eternal anglo

fuck off to /pol/ ya gimp
>>
English is for speaking
French is for writing
German is for thinking
>>
>>8078788
and Russian is for drinking vodka then, I take it
>>
>there are people on this board right now (RIGHT NOW) who speak only one language
makes me shiver in disgust
>>
>>8078788
Why would it matter what language you think in?
You can think on a subject without having words for it. That's the great part about it since you can just loosely associate various thoughts and feelings to Make more complex compound without language
>>
>>8078803

Yeah my bad, should have written " writing philosophy" but it's less neat that way.
>>
>>8078695
Fuckyou (yes, this is a new word i invented)
>>
>>8078788
>muh special uniquely untranslateable thoughts

oh do fuck off
>>
>>8078247
After learning Spanish I had the opposite reaction. So much of Spanish is contextual and informal, and after speaking it for four months straight during an extended stay in Spain I really began to miss the precision of English.
>>
>>8078910
>contextual
Isn't English the most 'contextual' among other European languages? You have this false impression due to cognitive dissonance. Besides since English is your mother tongue you may have never even thought about its ambiguity and a multitude of word meanings in there.
>>
>>8078788
We seem to be writing in English here and expressing ourselves adequately.
What do you think we would gain by writing in French?
>>
>>8078892

I'm French though.
>>
>>8078247
No because what you say isn't true.
>>
>>8079174
it is
>>
Surely English is fucking shite
>>
>>8079391
agreed
>>
How can we have a board and make sure that no Anglos get in? I think this is a bigger problem.
>>
>>8078788
>German is for thinking
Not once you spend years of your life on 4chin.
German is my native language, but i think in english shitposting 24/7
>>
>>8079084
Not a thing.
French is a disaster of a language.
Everything shitty about English can be attributed to French influence.
>>
>>8079640

Germans are truly a cuck race at this point.
>>
>>8078247
That's why I hate the French and the Negroes near me. Degenerated English from the good old Beowulf Tongue
>>
>>8079084
>>8079689

French literature blows a lot of English lit out of the water though.
Its attention to style, its meticulousness , the almost obsessive search for la belle phrase is something you rarely read in English. Someone like Proust or Segalen, or Nerval springs to mind
You've got Dumas who did the historical novel better than Scott, hugo who was the main inspiration for Lev Tolstoy to write War and peace etc.
When the English wonder how the French of the 19th century were so enthralled by a pulpy writer like poe it is because Baudelaire translated it and and turned an at times mediocre work into something sumblime

I'll admit that the modern French novel spearheaded by hacks like Houellebecq and other pseudo cynics is abysmal but calling French a bad language is deliberately being obtuse
>>
>>8080158
I should agree with you on that. Hugo's Notre-Dame de Paris impressed me too much when I was reading it as a kid. And then I of course beloved many other great authors that simply can't be compered to that shite that exists in English.
>>
>>8079713
>>Germans are truly a cuck race at this point.
this is what you gt once you have liberated women
>>
>>8080693
hard to argue with this desu
>>
>>8078773
>flexibility with a fixed word order compared to those languages with free? seriously?
Care to explain how free word order makes a language versatile?
>>
>>8081155
Can't do some research on your own?
http://blogs.transparent.com/russian/word-order-and-logical-emphasis/
http://waytorussia.net/WhatIsRussia/Russian/Grammar.html
http://www.study-languages-online.com/russian-words-order.html
http://masterrussian.com/aa060500a.shtml
>>
>>8078538
Of course not, the majority of memorable literature isn't written in English, even less by USA Citizens if that's what you're saying.
>>
anglophobe and proud desu
>>
If you had the tiniest idea of linguistics, you'd know all languages are equally complex and eloquent.

The only reason why we favour certain languages over others is based on the prestige of its history and on the quality of its literature. Shakespeare would have been just as good in Polish or Vietnamese.
>>
>>8080158
J'avoue ne pas avoir vraiment entendu parler de Segalen; tu as des suggestions quant à ce qu'il faut lire de lui ?
>>
>>8078627
Why the fuck do you have such a hardon for a few prepositions? Get your life together senpai
>>
>>8078675
>Stick two humans together
>Make a new human
Why is this allowed?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>8082071
>soon
>>
>>8082071
HOW IS BABBY FORMED?
>>
>>8082085
from women not thinking about the consequences of their actions
>>
>>8082008
you're totally wrong, different languages can't be 'equally complex'
>>
>>8078247
I'm french and I think english was made for rap.
I like rap a lot, and english too, but that's all.
>>
>>8082112
or men thinking the consequences will be "you fucked HER dude ? so great"
or daulphins thinking it will create a healthy hybrid, sometimes.
>>
>>8078267
>As a non-native speaker I quite like English for its simplicity. It's quite easy to write something half-way decent in your language.

this so motherfucking hard
>>
>>8082303
nah, english has no syntax
>>
>>8078292
English """"major"""" here.
It's shit, but it's really good for poetry.
>>
>>8082392
>English doesn't have syntax
>>
File: EE9tHc2.jpg (45 KB, 555x689) Image search: [Google]
EE9tHc2.jpg
45 KB, 555x689
English is a bastardized German grammar with poorly pronounced French loan-words.
>>
Native Russian & German speaker here
English is shit
German is the best literary language
>>
>>8082699
Native German speaker here. Speaking Russian as well. I think Russian is a little bit better for poetry and songs, because you can easy fit words together concerning there endings... Very flexive language
>>
>>8082739
That is also correct
>>
>>8083119
there were at least three errors in that post you goddam scrub

consider that your finding of english as awkward is the fault of your own clumsy tongue
>>
>fucking plebs don't respect the greatest language on the face of this earth
What would you rather speak?
Koki kaki japanesey?
Fein stein wein and dein german?
Je ja ju le jo french?
Puta nino jajaja spanish?
Chutzputz chuzzy chutz hebrew?
Eeyeh eeyo mirvrov russian?
Hung tao chinese?

Fuck all of that bullshit, english is literally the best language
>>
>>8083130
Excuse me?
>>
>>8082395
>has an undergrad degree
>thinks he has any sort of authority on a subject as big as the English language
>>
>>8078247
>mfw all these people calling English shit whilst ignoring that some of the greatest works of literature and greatest authors wrote in English.
>>
>>8083138
no
>>
>>8083145
aw
>>
>>8078247
As somebody who speaks Russian and German fluently, I have to disagree. English might be pretty simple but it makes working with it much easier too and offers a bigger vocabulary. Besides that, it offers you the reach no other language has. Russian is probably better for nuance but that alone isn't enough. There is a reason why writer who could use it, choose English.

>>8078267
German is a horrible language for writing and even worse for reading, Goethe is admirable as fuck for making it work.

>>8083144
That's just dumb reasoning. And wrong. At least your conclusion is right though.
>>
>>8078247

>Russian
>Doesn't even have a word for the colour blue
>>
Reconstructed Proto-Indo-European and Middle Chinese are clearly the top shelf literary languages.

Finnish is also highly decent.
>>
>>8083208
? Troll? Russian has several words for blue...гoлyбoй, cиний...
>>
>>8080158
Poe is already sublime.
>>
pierre trys to FLIRT with ANTOINETTE with his NATIVE FRENCH

while PETER slaps her ass and quotes OTHELLO, and she WANKS his WILLY
>>
le jemuple FAGGOT more like

LOL
>>
>>8083382
>Reconstructed Proto-Indo-European
Where would I learn this?

Duolingo? ;^)
>>
>>8078542
>the largest vocabulary
this is real
i speak french as my second language and its so much more difficult to write in a nuanced way. There just aren't enough words.
>>
>>8082287
it does have a fuckton of rhyming potential
really that's where I think its biggest strength is, not so much in prose but in song (and poetry but who cares)
>>
i like English because you can say a bunch of stuff in any way you wanna and as long as you think youre right it doesnt matter lmao
>>
>>8083131
You mean row raw row around American? Or u wot m8 britbong with those horrible glottal clicks and all that spitting
>>
>>8083144
Btits tend to overhype shit and treated well their artists. Shakespeare didn't die poor living under a rock and his name and works were remembered after his death.
>>
>>8084084
glottal stops, not clicks, and there are plenty of English English accents that don't have that and plenty of American English accents that do
>>
>>8083191
>German is a horrible language for writing and even worse for reading, Goethe is admirable as fuck for making it work.
And what is it that makes it be so horrible? How much harder is it in comparison to Russian in your mind?
>>
>>8084053
>i like English because you can say a bunch of stuff in any way you wanna
agreed other languages are so primitive and you can say things in only one way possible with no returning
>>
Hardly anybody on the planet has native fluency in numerous languages AND sufficient interest/knowledge of lit. theory to make any meaningful comparisons int his way.
>>
>>8083191
goethe has some weird ass rhymes though. it's good but german is rarely pretty or poetic
>>
>>8085290
Well, I can speak fluently 3 languages, and even have pretty much the same passive vocabulary in each of them.
>>
>>8083131
this guy gets it
>>
File: 1440662945459.gif (3 MB, 250x209) Image search: [Google]
1440662945459.gif
3 MB, 250x209
>>8084011
>There just aren't enough words.
there are enough words if you do not stick to pleb vocabulary, and the best part is that the older words are the same in english. but plebs and companies love to put english words everywhere now, even when the english word is pure recent french, so there are less old words used by your average speaker.
>>
>>8084011
Spanish, Italian and Turkish are rich AF in terms of vocabulary. The only issue is that they don't merge words as much as English does. It's great how English is very flexible and gives you the tools to bullshit a new word into existence. Based Shakespeare exploited this in his writing.
>>
>>8085392
Romanian sounds surprisingly good when not spoken by a running mugger.
>>
>>8085392
>The only issue is that they don't merge words as much as English does
Why then I oftentimes hear from Russians completely opposite complaints about english
>>
File: 1456385477616.jpg (854 KB, 2013x1606) Image search: [Google]
1456385477616.jpg
854 KB, 2013x1606
English is designed for the middle class: short words for short sentence so that the the middle class feels creative and overall crappy.
>>
The best poets are from England and, for some reason, Iran. Don't know if its been discussed but it may not be a coincidence that English and Persian are stress timed languages. It has to be way more dofficult to write poetry in a syllable timed language.
>>
Funny, I'm rather into linguistics and always loved English the most, even though it's my native language.

I think there's certainly the appeal of the exotic that leads people to prioritise other languages. But English has a malleability that makes it the ideal medium for thought and the communication of subtle ideas. It is the universal language – translate Russian into English as literally as you want and it provides prose just as beautiful and comprehensible as the original. What other language possesses the nuance to capture foreign thoughts and wrap them within itself?

Russian is the only language that approaches English in its sophistication. German trails behind some. Finnish and Hungarian are back quite a bit further – more as curiosities. The rest of the lot belong in the fucking bin. French in particular is an abomination. It looks and feels like shit, and that's reflected by how fucking terrible translations from it read in English. Crack a copy of English Camus and try telling me it doesn't make you want to tear your own eyes out to prevent yourself from having to read another word. Utter bastardisation.

I will argue that a language's ability to be translated into beautiful English while still retaining literal meaning is directly correlated to its worth as a language. It is no accident that Russian and German provide the best translations to English, and that non-European languages simply cannot be translated properly at all. Worthless culture, worthless language. That same subhuman mentality is reflected in their abysmal/nonexistent artistic output.
>>
>>8085646
>translate Russian into English as literally as you want and it provides prose just as beautiful and comprehensible as the original
You're ABSOLUTELY wrong. You can't translate word order in exactly same way which is relatively free in Russian, and you cannot translate adjective diminutives that don't exist in English at all, even noun diminutives don't have as much variety as Russian, if we're speaking about words that at least have them. Everything is different. Don't say anything about Russian if you can't speak it. Sorry for some mistakes, I do know English very badly in terms of punctuation.
>>
>>8085646
>>8085706
Btw, after my comparing I've come to conclusion that all the translation from Russian are basically garbage.
>>
>>8085646
You obviously know jack shit about linguistics.

Tell me, what does "dep" mean in the context of phonology?
>>
>>8085397
This desu. It is the closest language to Latin, it has lots of Slavic influences so Russian translates way better than it does in English, also a pretty big and dynamic vocabulary. Just listen to this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsYmuS2SnFM
>>
And still why do some of you guys thing that German is too hard to use? Is it even harder that Russian?
>>
>>8085899
In Russian you can switch words in a sentence. Also there are endings related to the words genus, which makes it more easy, or let's say, you have a larger pool of rhymes for poetry etc. German is more strickt. Btw. Native German speaker learning Russian for several years
>>
It's not either way and I hate the extremists that believe either end of it.
>>
>>8078966
Nope.
>>
>>8085979
any arguments?
>>
>>8078247
I speak Hungarian, English and French. Hungarian is probably the single most complicated (geographically) European language, but being complicated grammatically doesn't necessarily make for a 'superior' language.

English is ridiculously easy to learn to a decent extent, yes. The grammar is simple, declination and conjugation is almost nonexistant, word order is quite rigid compared to many other languages and it's easy to think that there aren't many ways to express your thoughts in a nuanced manner. For the reasons above, many people dismiss English as a "primitive" language, but this is only due to their low understanding and knowledge of English.

The learning curve of English is the opposite of French, Hungarian and other languages that are considered more sophisticated in comparison. In the beginning, you cut through the material like butter, but as you progress more and more, it slows down. You learn new and new words but don't really know how you could make true progress anymore and you feel that you have reached the "skill cap" of the language. However, with French, for example, you struggle in the beginning to memorise all the endings and distinguish tenses that literally sound the same when spoken, the pronounciation sounds like it's from another planet and natives speak so quickly it's impossible to understand them at first. But once you got the difficult basics, you are allowed to combine these elements in almost any way you want and you will feel that you progress very quickly and easily towards "literature" level.

You see, it's easier to be (seem) creative, complex and sophisticated if you are allowed to work with so much more basic elements and less restrictions on how to put them together. English gives you seemingly less options to work with and much more restrictions, but this is where the mastery of the language can truly come in. The extremely rich vocabulary that no one uses, the innate cheeky humour of the language and all these other elements that are difficult to pour into words (I'm not a linguist) give you enormous, almost infinite space to be creative within these otherwise narrow confines, resulting in completely unique character and depth for those who are truly proficient.

To put into a metaphor: two people decide to make art. One of them uses a wide range of pastells, watercolours and everything of all colours, while the other uses nothing but a chunk of charcoal. As far as "art" goes, the two sets of equipment are equally capable of creating something captivating and beautiful. The person using the former will probably be able to create something that's at least superficially great - after all, he is restricted by nothing. However, the one using the latter can possibly match or exceed their work, but only if he is truly a master artist - and the fact that he used only so much will further contribute to the depth and value of his work.
>>
>>8086493
>I speak Hungarian, English and French. Hungarian is probably the single most complicated (geographically) European language, but being complicated grammatically doesn't necessarily make for a 'superior' language.
Hmm, not Polish? I heard that it has more exceptions than rules. What about Finish then? Isn't that more or less the same cup of tea as Hungarian? That's interesting.
>>
>>8086493
what fucking restrictions are you, moron, talking about?
>>
>>8086531
>has more exceptions than rules
perhaps you're talking about different patterns for certain groups of words, stop overhyping its difficulty based on your ignorance or wrong understanding
>>
>>8078788
>>8078793
Russian is for definitely for cursing.
>>
>>8086547
Mainly the very rigid word order compared to other languages. On a lower level, English really doesn't allow you as much creativity as the other languages I have experience with. Ask any multilingual person and they will tell you this.
>>
>>8086607
I disagree utterly
>>
>>8086531
Don't know about Polish. Finnish might be just as difficult, I don't know. Maybe even more difficult. Yes, it's also a Finno-Ugric language with similar grammar and pronounciation. Still, Hungarian is one of the most difficult languages to learn and more complicated grammatically than any Germanic or Romance language which I assume to be the mother language-groups of most of the posters here.
>>
>>8086607
>multilingual person

I am just that and I can tell you you're wrong
>>
>>8086620
>Hungarian is one of the most difficult languages to learn
it's hard but definitely not even close to be one of THE MOST difficult ones
>>
>>8086615
>>8086626
Well, interesting. That's my own experience and I've heard that from other people as well.
>>
>>8086637
what were the problems that you had while typing this shit in the primitive language and which you could've avoid if were to speak in your mother tongue?
>>
>>8086632
Yes, I was still talking within the context of geographically European languages
>>
>>8086646
avoided*
fix
>>
>>8085565
>x timed
I've never heard of those terms before, what do they mean?
>>
>>8078247
I like English. My most fluent language is Vietnamese, then Czech. The misery of English will probably be that most words are not pronounced the same way that it is written (take "dough" and "trough"). With Vietnamese and Czech, the pronunciation and length of certain vowels are WRITTEN into the word itself with hooks and marks and spaces.

English is also the most calculative and less-emotive language I've learned. I like arguing in English because o can make my point crystal clear, while arguing in any other language will take me twice the time to get to the point.
>>
>>8086666
I have to also add that Vietnamese is the best language to swear in. Imagine the sass and cut the word "cunt" has but for every swear word there is.
>>
>>8086646
I am sorry? The entire point of my post was that English is a deep and complicated language that's capable to be as nuanced as any other as a reply to those in the thread who claimed the opposite and labelled it a primitive language.

And I was never stating that you would face any problems expressing anything in English. It's just that it seems that you just have less room for creativity in expressing yourself until you become truly proficient with the language.
>>
>>8086666
>English is also the most calculative and less-emotive language I've learned
such pathetic bullshit, that's your most likely subjective impression based off of bad knowledge
>>
>>8086673
>Imagine the sass and cut the word "cunt" has but for every swear word there is.
you gave me a headache, haven't understood a thing
>>
>>8086677
I am sorry? How do you define creativeness language-wise?
>>
>>8086688
People can't find another word that is as harsh to hear as the word "cunt" in English. With Vietnamese, every swear word is harsh to ear and degrading to one's morals. Vietnamese is great, don't get me wrong. I actually prefer a lot of Vietnamese poetry over Anglo poetry.
>>
>>8086715
>I've learned and spoken English for almost 15 years now
what? and you still make these pathetic grammatical mistakes?
>>
>>8086704
With great difficulty and I'm not going to do that.

I said "it seems". And it really does. I remember how amazed I was at the freedom French gave you in arranging your sentences compared to English. The same goes for Hungarian, where you also have the freedom to merge words into new ones spontaneously for example.

There is a reason why people who don't understand English well enough tend to proclaim that it's a brutish, uncreative language after getting to know other European ones.
>>
>>8079640
lmao
>>
Yeah I surely prefer the nosepinched brin me mah beikeen English
>>
>>8085290
>Hardly anybody on the planet has native fluency in numerous languages AND sufficient interest/knowledge of lit.
Fuck off you retarded Usonian, monoglots are the minority.
>>
>>8085710
Same with Spanish.
>>
>>8087359
wanna learn Spanish, what could be the possible downsides of doing so in your opinion?
>>
>>8087385
None
>>
>>8087395
then what are the pros compared to English?
>>
>>8087406
http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/spanish.htm
>>
>>8087416
i had read it
>>
>>8087416
I was actually more interested in your own take on it
>>
>>8087439
The differences allow for "freer" prose and wordplay which isn't possible in English.
>>
File: 1463533947718.gif (32 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1463533947718.gif
32 KB, 250x250
If you don't have an epic poem written in Homeric fashion in your language , then it's shit.
>>
>>8078267
>It's quite easy to write something half-way decent in your language.
This is an illusion resulting from ignorance.
>>
>>8078256
Anglos usually know just english and rarely a bit of french. It starts by the fact that they only know one language and with it a very narrow view of literature.
>>
>>8087592
fuck french
>>
>>8087539
talk to americans
>>
>>8088066
what's wrong about 'em?
>>
>>8085255
Andwhatisit thatmakesit besohorrible?
>>
>>8088272
Is it sort of feigning the way German works through English?
>>
>>8088283
I just guessed that was what he meant by 'even worse for reading'.

Making new words by joining old ones is fun, but the Germans take it too far.
>>
File: english_best.jpg (100 KB, 728x697) Image search: [Google]
english_best.jpg
100 KB, 728x697
English is for when you want to get things done.
>>
>>8085646
>>I will argue that a language's ability to be translated into beautiful English while still retaining literal meaning is directly correlated to its worth as a language. It is no accident that Russian and German provide the best translations to English
this. shit languages translate well into the shit language that english is.

nice observation cuck nigger
>>
Italian is worth to mention, plebs.
>>
>>8088500
pretty much the same spanish but useless
>>
>>8087406
I speak Spanish, and I prefer to communicate in English for the sake of brevity. In terms of nuances, Spanish has so many adjectives it's hard to be precise when you're speaking. In terms of grammar, it's not as backwards as English (what you see is what you get, no over the top backwards grammar exceptions for every little thing), but I would understand if you find it a bit hard due to the long sentence structures. Since Spanish is a highly descriptive language, we tend to write and speak in long sentences and it's not rare to find full paragraphs with no stops at all. As for phonetics, the main difference is the comparative lack of vowel sounds (v/s English) and the Rs. That's the reason why gringos sound slightly weird while speaking in Spanish: they add sounds we don't have and can't produce decent Rs. But then again, it's a matter of building muscle. You will use muscles in your mouth you didn't use while speaking English, so the best way to develop good pronunciation is to talk.
>>
>>8085303
>Rilke
>Moerike
>Hesse
>Storm
>Fontane
>Uhland
>not poetic
>>
File: 1461726259655.jpg (114 KB, 867x816) Image search: [Google]
1461726259655.jpg
114 KB, 867x816
>>8089194
>but I would understand if you find it a bit hard due to the long sentence structures. Since Spanish is a highly descriptive language, we tend to write and speak in long sentences and it's not rare to find full paragraphs with no stops at all.
this indeed
people do not like long sentences since they are not able to understand them, to follow them and they are not trained into this anyway.

Reminder that english speakers are so thick plebs that they use spaces instead of commas and commas instead of semi-colon and semicolon instead of long dash.
English speakers need their fix of shortness, otherwise they get bored on their little phones.

English is the ugly child of the ugly German and the French. As expected, no miracles happens.
>>
>>8089194
Still you can't compare your mostly analytical shit to Russian, fucking plebs
>>
>>8089231
Schleiermacher said you can only make philosophy in German and Greek. I think he's right.
>>
>>8089236
Wrong. Correct answer: Mathematics.
>>
>>8089222
So basically what this image is trying to convey is that Hegel didn't want people to understand in terms of Vorstellung but in terms of
>tfw
?
>>
File: 1402573295027.jpg (7 KB, 235x222) Image search: [Google]
1402573295027.jpg
7 KB, 235x222
When will this meme that languages can be objectively better or worse die
>>
>>8089318
At the same time as when the meme that all races are the same and it's just skin color dies.
>>
the best part is that people do not give a shit.
most english speakers rape english rules and they love it, which destroys english bit by bit. it is beautiful

fuck anglos
>>
>>8086748
You're right, especially concerning grammar. Fuck those haters.
>>
>>8089702
It doesn't destroy it, it makes it stronger.
>>
>>8078538
English is just poor man's French from that perspective.
>>
>>8089231
I haven't learnt Russian yet, so I wouldn't know. I do believe there's an inherent advantage in learning multiple languages, due to the fact that human language basically defines how people see the world. Having multiple perspectives not only gives you a comparative advantage perspective-wise with the rest of the world, but it also allows you to read and comprehend stuff without someone else's brain in the middle. Is learning Russian hard? I can speak 6 languages with different grades of proficiency, but I would say English and Spanish are my best.
>>
>>8090857
What are your other languages? I personally wouldn't say that Russian is very hard, you just need to go into it knowing a lot of the rules are not at all like Germanic or Romance languages. I went English>French>Russian and currently B1 speaker of Russian. It might be hard for you if you're learning without a teacher though.
>>
bimp
>>
>>8081618
English has other ways to carry the same nuance conveyed by word order in Russian. My native language has a relatively free word order and it isn't any more sublime than English.

You are merely fetishising a language with some "cool" feature that you read about on Facebook or somewhere.
>>
>>8091688
fuck off prom english is shit
fucking self-hating cuck
>>
Here is something which I think most of you retards, and memesters should read https://www.quora.com/Are-some-languages-more-complex-than-others

>>8090857
There is new evidence that bilingualism doesn't do shit to your cognition. It's all a meme.
>>
>>8091695
t. monoglot
Because I'd totally believe some monoglot pleb over what's taught in universities.
>>
>>8085402
>the person who wrote this thinks it was a proper use of reason
>>
ITT: retards get offended and try to defend their native languages
>>
>>8091918
I love you just for being you x
>>
>>8091949
>*nglo
>>
File: flowcrp.jpg (56 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
flowcrp.jpg
56 KB, 840x560
>>8089908
French has literally a third of the vocabulary and a tiny fraction of the possible intelligible adaptations (of the standard lexicon, grammar and syntax). In this sense English is a very semantically rich language, which I guess is why it is spoken the world over in a million different pidgins, creoles, dialects and slang forms.

(Also speedy information transfer is a good thing too)
>>
>>8082008
Certain coding languages can contain more compossible information than others. Not only that but some are far more efficient.
I mean I get that different cultures can express many things by many ways that aren't bound to their language alone but I just don't see why these metrics can't be applied to linguistics
>>
>>8092020
just look what the language did to India.
>>
>>8092020
>(Also speedy information transfer is a good thing too)
only when you are at best a little bourgeois who lives through his trades.
>>
>>8091702
I am actually trilingual but I am pretty confident you are some filthy Eurocuck who speaks horrible English and some irrelevant language.
>>
>>8092422
Wrong
>>
File: leprechaun.jpg (7 KB, 262x193) Image search: [Google]
leprechaun.jpg
7 KB, 262x193
>mfw non-native speakers can't possibly begin to comprehend the almighty meme trilogy
>>
TFW no one as yet managed to prove English's not being a primitive language. Pissed on your mothers.
>>
>>8078267
>As a non-native speaker I quite like English for its simplicity. It's quite easy to write something half-way decent in your language.

This. I'm French and if you're not a native speaker it's a bitch to learn, and you're not gonna make much sense when starting out. While this may go for most languages, google translate can handle most english - complex french phrases make it lose its shit.
>>
>>8092626

Other than suggesting any of the abundandtly available English language texts celebrated worldwide, I'm not sure of how to convince of you that but let me offer you this:

Modern antiseptics and our current conception of hygiene were pioneered bu Anglos and is cleanliness not the mark of a civilized people?
>>
>>8092655
lol, what?
>>
File: Tom Fulp Super-Car.jpg (46 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Tom Fulp Super-Car.jpg
46 KB, 500x375
Okay, so I made this image with Tom Fulp (head of Newgrounds.com) way back in 2005. The file was named 'Tom Fulp Super Car'. But it's bugging me because I'm not sure if the naming scheme is technically correct. Is it more correct to name it 'Super-Car', or 'Supercar', or 'Super-car'. I know it's fucking stupid, but help me out please.
>>
>>8094300
I think the correct term is >autism
>>
SPNISH IS better than french because spanish keeps the subjunctive

also, english has no subjunctive, therefore english is shit
>>
>>8095690
>x has x arbitrary linguistic feature (number of tenses, genders, formals and informals) so it's better

No one in this thread has been able to properly express why this somehow makes a language more beautiful or more precise. I just can't force myself to care about such mechanical points of interest.
>>
>>8086607
>On a lover level, English doesn't really allow as much creativity as the other languages I have experience with
You're only saying this because of your apparently limited experience of English as well. If you read a book like Ken Saro-Wiwa's Sozaboy you'll see how adaptable the English language is, for example in that English doesn't need to assign a gender to a noun for it to be morphologically consistent with the rest like in German, or Danish (where the definite article comes at the end of the noun), and you see English being very adaptable and creative in pidgin/creole/etc. languages.
>>
Slightly off-topic -- What is the best method for learning German/another language?

I'm predominately interested in learning it for reading.

Would something like this work?

>do the German DuoLingo course
>read German children's books
>watch German TV
>read a German grammar book
>>
>>8096713

Given the prolonged effort required to properly learn this beast of a language, do all 4 and take a class with a sexy professor that hounds you over your each and every mistake.

t. American majoring in German/Economics who never took a German course in high school. Don't ask me why.
>>
>>8096726
the only German teachers where I live are fat people; cheers though
>>
>>8096713
I'd say just keep reading children's books and/or increasingly difficult literature, I'm majoring in German but haven't had any courses in German for a year because of my electives and that's how I 'practice' it, but I've always read books like that and it really is one of the best and most pleasant ways to increase your vocabulary, and the formal knowledge you would get from a grammar books is nice but you still learn to form correct sentences by reading literature through what is probably something like pattern recognition, so the knowledge you get with literature might be more functional than formal, but you'll also be reading quality stuff eventually so it won't be as tedious as drills/grammar books/DuoLingo courses.
And you should watch TV and film, too. Especially now that there are other TV shows than shitty 'Tatort' stories and now that German cinema actually produces quality stuff.
>>
>>8096729
>mgw ich schon Deutsch kann und ein Ameriburger bin
>top kek
>>
As a matter of fact, you can't fully learn foreign language once you've gotten across the threshold called Critical Period Hypothesis which proves that after you turn 13 there will be no any of possible ways for you to become completely fluent in a target language.
>>
>>8097400
In fact, before you turn 13 you can't even use commas! Such is life.
>>
>>8097404
Fuck off you smart ass I'm an american and what shithole are you from?
>>
File: 1385988990109.jpg (71 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1385988990109.jpg
71 KB, 300x300
>>8097400
>critical period hypothesis
>hypothesis
>proving anything
>>
>>8097579
It's a fact, in other words, does the name Noam Chomsky tell you anything?
>>
>this thread
>>
>>8097725

Oh yeah sorry, back to making stupid conjectures about languages we don't speak or can't speak at Ulysess level. God forbid such a thread may get derailed.
>>
>>8083131
>Chutzputz chuzzy chutz hebrew?
That's Yiddish. Hebrew sounds like "kh'khkhkhhhkkk'kh". t. Jew
>>
>>8087539
this
>>
>>8097404
kek
>>
>>8097764
you cuck
>>
>>8092641
Thats a problem with google translate, not the language, though. Japanese grammar is extremely intuitive and simple but google translate has horrible trouble translating it to english, at least in my experience.
>>
File: internet arguments.png (15 KB, 528x434) Image search: [Google]
internet arguments.png
15 KB, 528x434
>>8097694
a metaphorical truth
>>
>>8078475
Wrong
>>
File: 1447305623534.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447305623534.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.