[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The word 'whom'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: bae.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
bae.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1125
Is use of the word 'whom' ever justified today? I just used it in the following:
"He was grateful to his parents to whom he owed his conscientious and pragmatic nature to." Will this come across as pretentious and pseudo intellectual to the reader? Or is it authentic.
>>
It was perfectly fine until you stuck another 'to' on the end and made yourself look like an idiot.
>>
>>8078243
That's just correct grammar.
>>
>>8078257
fuck true, thanks.
>>
>>8078243
I'd say "grateful for his parents" to not have every preposition in the sentence be "to", but that's just style.
>>
>>8078243
It will come across as pseudo-intellectual because you added the word "to" at the end. That would have made sense had you not added the "to" directly in front of "whom". But when you place the "to" before the "whom", you don't add a "to" at the end.

It might seem pretentious to people from uneducated working class backgrounds. More educated people, who are used to seeing or hearing the word, won't think twice about it.
>>
>>8078272
Yeah, agreed.
>>8078268
Yeah that flows nicer, thanks.
>>
>>8078243
who is that major qt?
>>
>>8078313
Kirsten Dunst
>>
>>8078305
it doesn't just "flow nicer," it's a grammatical correction. I don't think you're ready to write.
>>
File: 1457755195179.jpg (163 KB, 1200x866) Image search: [Google]
1457755195179.jpg
163 KB, 1200x866
>>8078243
stop being pleb, use these words which are more natural to patricians

(‘here-’ words) here; hereabout, hereabouts, hereafter, hereagain, hereagainst, hereas, hereat, herebefore, hereby, herefore, herefrom, herein, hereinafter, hereinbefore, hereinto, hereof, hereon, hereto, heretofore, hereunder, hereunto, hereupon, herewith, herewithal
(‘there-’ words) there; thereabout, thereabouts, thereafter, thereagain, thereagainst, thereamong, thereas, thereat, therebefore, therebeside, thereby, therefore, therefrom, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore, thereinto, thereof, thereon, thereto, theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, thereupon, therewith, therewithal
(‘where-’ words) where; whereabout, whereabouts, whereafter, whereagain, whereagainst, whereamong, whereas, whereat, wherebefore, whereby, wherefore, wherefrom, wherein, whereinafter, whereinbefore, whereinto, whereof, whereon, whereto, wheretofore, whereunder, whereunto, whereupon, wherewith, wherewithal
>>
>>8078243
I think you should re-write the sentence in order to put the preposition somewhere not at the sentence's end, because it seems unwieldy. But with the evolution of English nowadays, that seems perfectly fine. It's a stylistic difference, but it's not grammatically wrong.
>>
>>8078243
woe
>>
>>8078509
>I don't think you're ready to write.
Well I'm sure that's why he's practicing. Wouldn't the fastest way to improve your writing be to write and read at the same time? Serious question btw
>>
>>8078243
>Will this come across as pretentious and pseudo intellectual to the reader? Or is it authentic.
anyone who considers correct grammar usage to be pseudo intellectual in not someone whose opinion you should care about
>>
The sentence is grammatically correct when using the word "whom," but I'd say the vast majority people wouldn't be able to tell. For this reason, your writing may seem more "intellectual."
>>
File: 591690.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
591690.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
I like the phrase "for whom." Like "She gave the ring to Mike, for whom it was a gift." I don't use it much otherwise.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.