[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can the Love for your own work, ultimately BLIND you from any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: FISH.jpg (5 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
FISH.jpg
5 KB, 318x159
Can the Love for your own work, ultimately BLIND you from any legit criticism others may have?

Or is it simply because their criticism is shit?
>>
>liking your own work
>>
>>8070017
Is it so wrong to take pride in one's own labour? In something you made? Isn't that pride the driving force that makes you want to keep writing?
>>
>>8070020
Inflated sense of pride usually goes hand in hand with hating your own work.
>>
>>8070020
Do you not hate everything you write and feel that, no matter what, it's terrible and could be improved?
>>
>>8070020
>Is it so wrong to take pride in one's own labour?
>Isn't that pride the driving force that makes you want to keep writing?
What's supposed to push you forward is striving for perfection. You never reach perfection.
>>
>>8070017

/thread

If you feel self-satisfied and complacent with your stuff then you're never going to be any good, either give up writing or at least go and read more so you can appreciate the near-infinite gulf between your own efforts and the work of a genius who has spent decades honing their craft.

(disregard if you're one of the two or three living authors whose writing is worthy of reverence)
>>
>>8070017
>>8070054
Micropenis posts, t b h.
>>
>>8070059

So you're saying that anyone with an average or larger penis would have a delusional confidence in their ability to rival the greatest minds of human civilization without even having worked at it?
>>
>>8070064
If you think delusions are a bad thing, you're in the wrong game.
>>
>>8070066

On the contrary. I'm quite sure that nobody who has ever produced anything of real worth has been really happy with it.
>>
>>8070082
Not at all, my micropenised pal. The sort of meme perfectionism you're describing is exclusively the domain of cartoon characters. If you don't have the gall to think you're as good or better than the all-time greats, you'll never be more than an effete little ladyboy pouting at your own reflection in the mirror.
>>
>>8070096

k lol
>>
>>8070004

>love for your own work

if you really love the stuff you produce, then you're either a genius or know very little about your craft
>>
>>8070004

This guy's face is fucking disgusting. Really grabs my attention.
>>
>>8070004
>Yes
>Maybe

Is this even a question?
>>
File: 720x405-GettyImages-551550825.jpg (26 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
720x405-GettyImages-551550825.jpg
26 KB, 720x405
>>8070004
Probably. I rarely have the luxury of loving my work, though. I hate everything I've ever made with a passion. If I were to show some of my work to other people, they'd probably think it was at least okay, but I hate it, because I notice all the little details that aren't quite right and every decision I made which led me down a strange path. I have secret access to everything that most people either won't notice at first or will completely ignore. Hating your own work isn't a side effect of perfectionism, it's a side effect of that secret access; it's a side effect of knowing what you're doing at all times, combined with having some general purpose to your work. When I start to love my own work, that means that I must either be actively ignoring something or missing something, and that I need to take a break from it for a while to really think about it. It also could mean that my work isn't all that interesting/detailed in the first place. Either way, it means something's off. You're not just blinding yourself from outside criticism; even worse, you're blinding yourself from internal criticism, which is a lot more of a necessity.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.