[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ulysses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: joyce.jpg (177 KB, 900x920) Image search: [Google]
joyce.jpg
177 KB, 900x920
What's the best edition of Ulysses? I was thinking of buying the Everyman's book because hardcovers are less likely to go to shit, but l figured l'd ask here first.
>>
The best edition is where you go back in time, get passout drunk with Joyce and listen to his schizophrenic ramblings first hand.
>>
>>8069818

>Tfw you will never sit in a room and watch him giggling whilst reading passages from Finnegans Wake
>Tfw even Ezra Pound said Finnegans Wake was beyond the pale
>>
>>8069812
This >>8069818
But in all seriousness I heard that the Oxford Classics versions are best as they tend to have more descriptive introductions & footnotes as opposed to Penguin Classics although I'm not sure Ulysses has either version. But what does /lit/ think? Penguin Classics, Everyman's Pocketbook, or Oxford Classics?
>>
>>8069825
Yeah, Oxford is usually my go-to, but l prefer hardcovers for books that are over 500 pages. I think a book like Ulysses would warrant more than just one reading, so l don't want to fuck it up.
>>
Everyman's Library

/thread
>>
>>8069866
AHHHHHHHHH DONT SAY /THREAD TO ME OR ELSE IM GONNA BE SO MAD
>>
what about the really nice blue one with the introduction by enda duffy
I'm not OP but I've been considering this edition because it looks nicest
>>
I got the Modern Library edition and I'm happy with it, no footnotes which I honestly don't mind for this book particularly as I feel like half the page would be swallowed by them and there are so many allusions that to worry about getting every single one will take away from the reading itself.
>>
>>8069812
learn greek retard
>>
>>8070720
this OP learn greek or just quit
>>
>>8069812

1961 Corrected Text, published by Vintage, Modern Library & Everyman.

This thread gets made all the time and was made just a few days ago.

>>8069825

Oxford Classics is the original 1922 text, which contains lots of typos.

>>8069866
>>8070530

+1
>>
gabler or 1961 version (modern library, everyman, vintage), but it doesnt actually matter.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.