[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college/university worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
Is college/university worth it?
>>
Depends on the student,
Depends on said student's goals/prospects,
Depends on the college/university,
Depends on the major,
and Depends on the means one has
>>
university is for cunts
>>
As long as you get a full-ride, sure

Best four-year vacation I've ever been on

If you don't get a full-ride, then no, there's literally nothing at college worth paying for
>>
>>8069141
>full-ride
Meaning?
>>
>>8069132
Depends on what you want to do, where you want to go, and if you have the temperament to take advantage of it.

If you can get into a university ranked 300 or better and are prepared to engage critically and enthusiastically with experts in numerous fields and both collaborate and compete with other students while learning about options for your future, then weigh the finances of it and go. If that doesn't apply to you, then rethink it.

The main things universities offer are access to experts, networking and a credential. Those are more important than I make them sound, but not for everybody.
>>
>>8069144
Meaning you get a full-ride scholarship to attend the university for f r e e
>>
What do you guys think of going to a prestigious non-Ivy League liberal arts school? Would it be worth it?
>>
>>8069132
absolutely
I didn't even enjoy college, but I enjoy having a well-paying job without having to own my own business
>>
>>8069169
if your parents are paying for your tuition, sure
>>
>>8069169
Do you want to get into a high-earning career like law, medicine, consulting or finance? If yes, then your school prestige is a big deal and it's worth it if you're in the top 30 or so on the Forbes ranking.

If you want to be a writer or teacher and would have to take out loans? No.
>>
>>>/adv/

How the fuck is this even related to literature whatsoever? Kill yourself, you balding faggot.
>>
no
>>
Depends. If you want to be an engineer or a doctor you should go. If you want to be a writer, an artist, a programmer don't. Obviously I missed some careers but you get the idea. Think of college like job certification. If your job doesn't require that certification then you can learn what you would have learned on your own.
>>
>>8069282
>programmer
Good luck getting into Google or Goldman without a degree. Not all programmers are Indian sweatshop tier.
>>
>>8069289
>Not all programmers are Indian sweatshop tier.

Well, they are, it's just they have different price points.
>>
>>8069132
women go to college to gain more knowledge, men go to jupiter to get more stupider
>>
>>8069411
This. You need to become a trap to be an intellectual.
>>
>>8069300
too true
>>
Depends what you do and what you want. The only answer to a question as broad as yours is "it depends"
>>
File: 1449164821564.jpg (43 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1449164821564.jpg
43 KB, 540x405
>>8069132
Probably, yes. Many companies offering white-collar jobs will turn down someone who isn't at least a post-grad, even if your degree bears no relation to the job you're undertaking.
Right now I'm an English undergrad on a year out working a job that specifies "graduate" as a qualification. They've taken me on because I'm so close to graduating, but in reality 2-3 years of Shakespeare and Milton are not going to help me with the work I'm doing. They turned my friend down for the same position despite the fact that he has more work experience because he never went to University.

Taking a STEM degree is no guarantee of employment. I knew an engineering student who was still struggling to find a career at age 25. Chances are he was under the impression that he would be handed a job on his way out. If you are taking STEM, you'll have to have a clear career in mind by your second year and start shopping around just like the humanities students. STEM master race is mostly a myth.

English is a surprisingly employable degree because you are forced to be versatile. Spend your time at university making use of the "employability" services and figure out what you want to do. Take a year out if you can to get some money and experience so you can be one step ahead of your fellow graduates. Spend time to learn a language (I wish I had done this).

So basically it depends on a variety of factors, but generally yes, university is worth it. Higher education is no longer for the academically talented so a degree has become the status quo and you would do well to meet this new, minimum criteria for employment. As long as you don't focus solely on your course and do some prep-work for the real world you should be A-okay. Plus you might even have fun.
>>
>tfw uni is free but only 5% of applicants are taken in Lit studies
>just want a comfy decent paying job and write my novels in peace
>>
>>8070116
>STEM master race is mostly a myth.
this is what libshit majors seriously believe. I had recruiters and employers putting hits on each other to hire me in my junior year of college. by graduation I had a six figure salary plus bonuses lined up for me
>>
>>8070224
oh yea well i found $20 on the ground last night, suck it bitch
>>
>>8070116
>STEM master race is mostly a myth.
Not really.
It really is master race as far as economic benefit goes.
Doesn't mean you don't have to bust ass to get a job and then bust more ass to keep that job.
>>
File: mathphd[1].jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd[1].jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>8070224
>any meme I want
>>
File: 64276486428.jpg (145 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
64276486428.jpg
145 KB, 900x900
if you want to be a piece of shit when you grow up
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.