[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chesterson
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Gilbert_Chesterton.jpg (155 KB, 582x718) Image search: [Google]
Gilbert_Chesterton.jpg
155 KB, 582x718
Anything you guys can recommend from this guy?
>>
>>8065939
I've heard The Man Who Was Thursday is good. I have it but haven't read it, so I can't say. Apparently the devil makes an appearance, from what I could gather from the shopkeep who recommended it to me, so there's that.
>>
>>8065939
No.
>>
>>8065965
thanks
>>
>>8065939
The Cross and The Ball - although considered a minor work of his, I really enjoyed it. He portrays an atheist within it in an almost likeable way. The whole religion vs atheists dynamic seems to be what has seeped from high culture to low culture over the the last however many years since the book was written.
>>
His essays.
>>
Heretics is great if you know anything about late 19th/early 20th British thinkers and writers. Chesterton critiques guys like HG Wells and George Bernard Shaw. If you don't know who they are, you might read the book anyway because Chesterton also does a lot of writing you can appreciate without getting references. His essay on the family is particularly good.
>>
>>8065939
Yes his " Stories of Father Brown". GOAT detective fiction, brisk, short, profound, with a point, beautifully written. Better than Conan Doyle.
>>
>>8065939
Don't bother, he was a fat and weak manlet.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 228x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 228x346
Pic related is superb, also The Man Who Was Thursday.
>>
>>8066426
this.
>>
I just wanted to say that I'm so glad that I've finally seen /lit/ talk about GK Chesterton without me being the one to bring him up.
>>
>>8065939
Reading Heretics was a big turning point in my intellectual development. I would argue that it's his best collection of essays, although Orthodoxy is better known.

The Man Who Was Thursday is hands-down his best fiction. The Napoleon of Notting Hill is very good too. His detective stories, while having less literary significance, are some of the best.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.