[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am looking into getting Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: MeditationsMarcusAurelius1811.jpg (312 KB, 783x642) Image search: [Google]
MeditationsMarcusAurelius1811.jpg
312 KB, 783x642
I am looking into getting Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, I was just wondering which English translation is best.
>>
>>8064080
I have the penguin edition. Honestly, it isn't really literature in the sense that the prose matters. It's more of a random assortment of lessons Aurelius learned over his life.
>>
File: wittgenstein flannel mode.jpg (102 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein flannel mode.jpg
102 KB, 666x666
the version i just wrote, in which the word 'ass' can be used as shorthand for any idea or compound of ideas assigned to it:

ass
>>
>>8064080
Pick up the Penguin Great Ideas one i'm reading it at the moment.

The translation isn't really important because it's just a series of aphorisms that he coined over the years.
>>
KINDLE PAPERWHITE THE BEST
>>
File: 1463590798672.jpg (22 KB, 256x270) Image search: [Google]
1463590798672.jpg
22 KB, 256x270
>>8064080

I have a copy of the George Long Translation, one of the only books I've sought worthwhile to reread, Timaeus, Crime and Punishment being the other two. You're in for a treat OP.
>>
You should get something good instead
>>
>>8064157

More like Ed Gein serial killer mode amirite

Even the family background fits. Homosexuality, multiple family members died or killed themselves. Lock Witty up in a dank cell!
>>
>>8064481
i think all 3 of his platonic lovers died in their 20s which is mysterious now that you mention it
>>
>>8064503
"platonic"
lol
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.