[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this book pass the /lit/mus test for a good book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Zorba_book.jpg (46 KB, 265x406) Image search: [Google]
Zorba_book.jpg
46 KB, 265x406
Does this book pass the /lit/mus test for a good book?
>>
how many scatological passages does it contain?
>>
>>8063561
Don't you realize that we hate all books here?
>>
>>8063561
One of my all time favorite books!

It has beautiful prose, but /lit/ probably dislikes its message about vilifying a down-to-earth hedonistic lifestyle.
>>
>>8063561
Stupid book. It's unknown around here, but that doesn't mean it's good. The main message is that reading is for suckers and if you don't fuck multiple women everyday you're a faggot.
>>
>>8065362
>>8065400

So does it vilify or sanction the hedonistic lifestyle?
>>
>>8065362
You obviously don't mean vilify.

>>8065400
I can only hope I get trips, because this post is fucking wrong. Zorba the Greek isn't Shakespeare by any measure, but it's quality and only a deeply superficial reading would say it condemns reading outright in favor of blind hedonism. The central ambiguity is the narrator's struggle with the question of why read at all when the point is merely to re-create a life that could just as easily be lead in creation absent any prefixes. As a reader, the reader is meant to identify with the narrator and work through those questions with him. It's significant that after leaving Zorba, he gets a letter of invitation from Zorba to see an emerald and the narrator refuses, but that he instead chooses to write down his memory of Zorba.

Good read, worthy of genuine contemplation, easy-breath-beautiful (can be read in a few hours). But no, not one to take up long-term space on the shelf.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.