[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books that wouldn't be popular and "make it" today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: tucker-max.jpg (32 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
tucker-max.jpg
32 KB, 500x336
Books that wouldn't be popular and "make it" today if released

pic related. None of his books would get past the protests that would undoubtedly surround them
>>
>>8061858
Didn't he hire some guy to stage feminist protests as a marketing campaign or something?
>>
>>8061862
Wouldn't surprise me seeing as the whole reason he really blew up in the first place was controversy. That whole Miss Vermont thing.
>>
anything by dfw
>>
I've recently become interested in the possibility of writing and publishing a book. Everything about it was a pie in the sky thing from the start for me, but after checking out Kindle's self publishing program I realized it's even grimmer than I thought. Hundreds of YouTube videos deconstructing the process down to pure marketing. Picking a cover that sells. Choosing your niche and subject from what people search for.
It was all so cold and calculated. I guess the content doesn't even count anymore. I'm sure well-written books will still find their way to the top somehow but everything about that process looks like a horror show for someone completely new to it.
>>
>>8061888
when you publish your book with a some publishing house they do the very same work themselves

when you self-publish you are supposed to do the marketing yourself, yes, that's one of the main reasons why people are discouraged from it
>>
>>8061888
I would imagine that the people you don't want to take advice from are the hundreds of people who were wildly unsuccessful through that program.

I'm sure content does count plenty still, the hard part is getting across the right person's desk. And I doubt a Kindle app that shits out fuck ton's of books constantly is the way to distinguish yourself.
>>
>>8061894

It reminds me a lot of Steam. When Valve opened the gates to self-publishing and gave users the power to greenlight games developers started focusing more on marketing than quality so hundreds of mediocre games flooded the store. Same thing with Kickstarter.
Every now and then something good comes out of it as well, but that's pretty rare.
>>
>>8061888
>picking a book for content based on having not read the content

i wonder why that isn't a thing
>>
>>8061911

Okay but it would still be nice if they had a curator/reviewer system in place to make sure trash doesn't get rewarded for merely having a nice cover.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.