[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
<<<< Check this book out. Looks boring, right? Some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: mason_dixon.jpg (6 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
mason_dixon.jpg
6 KB, 187x250
<<<< Check this book out.

Looks boring, right? Some old dusty tome from the bookshelf of your old pa? You think their might be some fancy silk bookmark to mark your place in this double-covered sleeping pill?

Wel,l guess what. It aint boring. This is Thomas Pynchon bitch. He writes about history.... but with a twist. There's talkin dogs, people with names like Cherrycoke, drugzZz, and all kinds of wicked shit.

This ain't your granddad's literature. NO YAWNING ALLOWED.
>>
File: thomas-pynchon.jpg (85 KB, 620x410) Image search: [Google]
thomas-pynchon.jpg
85 KB, 620x410
>mfw no one is interested in pynchonposting
>>
>>8058170
>No one who's read Gravity's Rainbow and Mason and Dixon are left on this board.
>>
>>8058135
Thomas Pinecone is one of my favorite authors The crying of lot 49 was amazing I loved every minute of it. What about that wacky zany psychiatrist?! Lmao!
>>
nice sales copy but if u really want to prove ur chops try to sell Against The Day
>>
File: 1463231584730.jpg (88 KB, 392x574) Image search: [Google]
1463231584730.jpg
88 KB, 392x574
i freaking love this book man. one day when i went to my friend jackson's house for his birthday i strapped a bottlerocket to the area where my penis is (but outside of my clothes). we were outside and all my friends were like baha dude that's funny and i just said "i dare you guys to jerk me off. I double dog DARE you. just see what will happen." they were all like aha dude no you're crazy. scaredy cats wouldn't do it. so i went back inside and asked jackson's mom where the lighter was, telling her it was for the birthday cake. what can i say? sometimes i'll tell a little white lie when it's for one of my nutso pranks. anyway, when i came back out with a lit V2 on my groin, a screaming came across jackson's driveway. you shoulda saw their faces. i'd have to say that i've always done off-the-wall things like that, but ever since i got the book i've been just a little bit more... shall we say... bananas. ;)
>>
>>8058302
It's a hard as nails book. You are not ready. But on the other hand, it's funny as all hell and will have you howling at the moon at the image of a man going down a toilet. So Pynchons got the high-brow covered, but he's also a man of the people. Seriously, the humor in the book is so random it makes Adult Swim look like Tolstoy. There are so many moments where you have to put the book down and go "OK! ok! no way did pynchon just make that happen, that is TOO random." All this is to say that pynchon is NOT your grandfather's literature. There's no silk bookmark to hold your place here. This. Is. Pynchon. *kicks you into a toilet*
>>
>>8058135
Reading it now, 300 pages in, and already I find it better than gravity's rainbow
>>
>>8058291
>this board now is full of "where do i start with the final boss of literature" faggots from /tv/ and /v/
>pretty much every ironic and non-ironic pynchon thread is about how difficult his ouvre is
>>
KEK XD
>>
these threads make me embarrassed for liking pynchon
>>
>>8060032
not only should you be embarrased, but very afraid.
he is a.... NOT your typical pomo author...let's put it that-a way....
>>
>tfw pynchin is my favorite author
:3
>>
Seriously, has anyone noticed that there is a hint of alien conspiracy theories in Pynchon? It's evident this guy keeps up with conspiracy theories, alternative history, and so on. In Gravity's Rainbow he mentions foo fighters once, which isn't much, but in AtD and M&D, he gets serious about it. In the True Worshippers of the Ineffable Tetraktys (a clear parody of/reference to Blavatsky/Theosophy and Albert Pike and Eliphas Levi and Aleister Crowley and so on if you've at all researched them/20th century occultism in general), he has them reformulate the Genesis story as some "serpent" race coming to innocent mankind and giving them knowledge; which see Blavatsky's idea of the Ascended Masters guiding mankind's progress, Gurdjieff's devils on his spaceships, perhaps, Edward Bulwer-Lytton's insanity about Aryans and extraterrestrials which (along with Blavatsky/Theosophy) heavily influenced the Nazis, and so on and so forth.

Also before that there is the aping of Lovecraft, with the found statue that comes to life and destroys/rapes that city, and then Lew (?) talks at some dinner party about how perhaps mankind is overseen by breeders who have led to the creation of competitive society/capitalism, as opposed to our natural state of innocence, leading us, in a sense, to "eat one another" as a way to provide energy to them.

In M&D, there is the strange mound that the two find on their imaginary travels further west in America into Indian land; there is the references to mysterious lights in the sky, there is Mason's weird dream about an ancient society with glyphic indecipherable writing on the walls, there is the weird references near the end to demonic spirits without any capacity for love who feed on human negative emotions or something like that.

Which is all distinctively redolent of modern conspiracy trash about ancient aliens having guided humanity's early development and still overseeing us today.

Also in AtD, there's the description of the airships as benevolent overseers from above...
>>
>>8060823
fuck yall, you don't read shit
>>
>>8061029
>yall
My corndolences.
>>
>>8060823
Pynchon stays informed.
>>
>>8060823
Ruggles knows more than he can tell us. That's why his books are so cryptic and his military record is "No Longer Existing".
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.