[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get into /lit/? I think it would be a good idea to read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
How to get into /lit/?

I think it would be a good idea to read the high-school tier classics like Gatsby and TKAM before starting with the Greeks. After the Greeks I would continue with philosophy and branch out into other classic literature at the same time.

Does this sound like a good plan?

I've already read some YA and genre trash so I have a good vocab and speed.

What are some good entry level books to read? I'm thinking the Catcher in the Rye first, but I'd like advice and suggestions for other books.
>>
you should start by reading the sticky.
>>
reading something because you think you should read it because it's mandatory is silly

also >>8056587
>>
The Great Gatsby is not a bad idea to get. But you should also get Critical Theory Today: A User Friendly Guide, it teaches literary theory/criticism using The Great Gatsby.
>>
"get" into /lit/?? i think you should "get" laid :)
>>
the great gatsby it's a gimmick whose main noticeable quality it's not using the letter 'e'
>>
man I'm fucking retarded and I just read all the hard books for fun. fuck starting anywhere. read what ever you want. I read infinite jest (easy), mason and Dixon (easy), bloodmeridian (shit) the recognitions (slightly not easy), J R (easy), on a winter's night a traveler (odd), all recently since I started coming here. I just pick out what ever you guys say is hard and read that. did I mention I'm retarded. barely graduated highschool.
>>
>>8056578
Yes its a good idea. Read the starter kit.
It's a good mental exercise for reading more cognitively demanding work.

Tender > Gatsby
>>
>>8056578

I think you should get into literature, not /lit/erature.
>>
>>8056578
Frankly read the sticky and pick stories you like.

Anyhow I really like The Clown by Böll and I don't see it being talked here. I strongly suggest it.
Just google the name and if you like the story, read it!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.