[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /lit/'s thoughts on Jim Morrisons poetry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1200
What's /lit/'s thoughts on Jim Morrisons poetry?
>>
Personally I like but heavy drug use was definitely involved.
>>
boipussy
>>
>>8056493
It's hit and miss but i still love it.
>ywn hang with Jimbo
>>
>>8056507
Agree. It's very well-written, but the drugs ruin it. Wish he had written it after his come-down. That would have made it more memorable.
>>
>>8056493
I like to read it in the accent of a 15-year-old autist who has trouble fully pronouncing Rs.

Fathew, I want to...KILL *head twitches forward autistically with the enunciation* you...
Mothew...I want to...FUCK YOU *more autistic involuntary movements* *face muscles twitch autistically*
>>
I feel like a lot of his inspiration came from psychedelics and gave him his wildness but I'm sure a lot of it was his own mind.
>>
The thing about using any kind of drug, especially psychedelics, is it changes the way you look at the world. On most drugs, you get caught up in the warped reality that you perceive.

The real value in using - for any writer, poet, artist etc - is in how they view the world afterwards. Psychedelics give you a more holistic & less myopic view of the world. Stimulants teach you how it feels to be completely focused. Depressants let you forget the pain we all incur in our day-to-day lives.

Morrison got caught up in the warped reality. His poetry doesn't reflect a realistic yet alternate view of reality. It offers a warped perception of reality that he saw on drugs. It comes off as temporary and myopic, which is the opposite of what psychedelics are supposed to make you. He could have been considered a literary great, and not just a musical great, if he waited until he was sober to compose his poetry. Ghost Song is riveting, yet it could have been much more. The End had many cryptic messages, but it wasn't as eerie as it could have been.
>>
I love both of those songs and most of The Doors. I think the psychedelics definitely warped his reality but I think psychedelics remove the veil and let us see the world in its truest form. I think he wrote what he liked and perceived. I can't fault him for that. I love all his stuff.
>>
>>8056493
> /Lit/ - Forced Memes
>>
I have a few biographies about him and a book of his poetry. Pretty cool guy.
>>
>>8056775
Agree, but it's harder to understand without the influence. A great piece of literature doesn't need you to be on any substance to fully appreciate it.

That being said, the reason I appreciate his stuff and don't just think that it's good edgelord-tier stuff is because I listen to the Doors for at least half an hour whenever I'm tripping on acid or shrooms. 'The End' becomes a lyrical masterpiece when your 3 hours into a 200 microgram trip. The lyrics speak to a deeper truth.

I sound crazy because of you're not on acid now. Which is precisely why you should write your observations while tripping in a notebook, enjoy the trip, and use your deeper understanding to write a coherent, sensible interpretation of your new realizations once you sober up.
>>
I like it mostly because he has a great voice
>>
My cock
>>
>>8056749
I agree about Ghost Song, some of his best lyrics, and the whole thing is so goddamn groovy
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.