[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is war and peace by Tolstoy any good? (i'm serious) yes/no + why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
is war and peace by Tolstoy any good? (i'm serious) yes/no + why?
>>
Yes. I'm about 2/3 of the way in and I have to say it's probably the best book I've read. I was intrigued from the get go and the writing throughout is so profound and feels so powerful that I've truly enjoyed it all the way through so far. I don't agree with all the philosophical or political statements Tolstoy makes, but they're interesting to read. 10/10
>>
>>8050290
One wonders if it would have been as popular if it were printed under the original title.
>>
I don't like it. Too scattershot, too many plotlines don't go anywhere, and far too much apostrophe-essaying about how much Tolstoy hates the Great Man theory of history. (He's not wrong, but it's a quarter of the fucking book.)

Read Anna Karenina or even The Death of Ivan Ilyich instead.
>>
>>8050519
Ah, yes, War: What Is It Good For? Well, if you ask me, absolutely nothing.
>>
>>8050553
>>8050553
>far too much apostrophe-essaying about how much Tolstoy hates the Great Man theory of history

There's only like 10 pages of that in a 1200 page book (it is also the best part of the book)
>>
just watch the tv show. it's classic
>>
>>8050583
War: war never changes.
>>
Yes. It's fantastic. One scene involving mustaches and sleigh is better even than anything in Anna Karenina. The essays on history are a little obnoxious, but important to what he's getting at with the work.

Plus, despite length, it's not difficult at all. Just read it.
>>
>>8050290
Its GOAT
A classic for a reason.
>>
>>8050290
No. Reason being Tolstoy tried to diss Shakespeare.
>>
A little too long. A rollicking historical novel written for the general reader, specifically for the young. Artistically unsatisfying. Cumbersome messages, didactic interludes, artificial coincidences. Uncritical of its historical sources.
>>
>>8052513
dude, people can have opinions
>>
>>8050290
No it's horrible. Academicians have been praising it for over a century just as a sort of inside joke.
>>
>>8050290
Damn, I have no words in English to explain my point of view, but this book really shows, the society and relevant even now .
Especially good showed that all women whores
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.