[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys go about creating dialogue and conversations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: conversation.jpg (118 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
conversation.jpg
118 KB, 600x340
How do you guys go about creating dialogue and conversations in your written pieces? Do you have any exercises, techniques or methods you use for this?

I'm just wondering because I was in a workshop today, and we had a fun little exercise where we partnered up with someone to do a call-and-response way of dialogue to create a little scene. I was with a Solomon Islander who can't speak/write grammatically correct English very well, but he writes interesting pieces. Together we made this little humorous dialogue:

"I wish you'd told me."

>"If only you can it a secret."

"It's a pretty big secret though, what if someone finds out?"

>"What exactly you wish I should tell you. I have lots of things to say, no secrets am just joking."

"Joking? So the Donkey hiding in your Dining Room is a joke?"

>Yeah it's a joke, want to hear more jokes?"

"You know what? Sure"

>Okay, here another one, how can you put an elephant into the fridge?"

"How?"

>"Just open the fridge and put the elephant in."

"My friend, that was splendid."
>>
>>8048638
I don't have to write dialogue because I am not a self-important idiot who thinks people want to hear what he thinks.
>>
>>8048638
basically just use the voices in your head + know the fundamentals of dialogue

if you don't have one for a character tweak the character until you do
>>
>>8048647
Isn't that the other way round though? Internalizing everything and having it lectured to the reader?
>>
>>8048647
le egomaniac writer

fuck off fagbag find some joy
>>
>>8048647
m8 dialogue usually serves to do the opposite of that
>>
>>8048638
>>Okay, here another one, how can you put an elephant into the fridge?"
>"How?"
>>"Just open the fridge and put the elephant in."

what did he mean by this?
>>
dialogue is a great way to share your racist insights and then pretend "it's just the character! i'm not racist" or something like that i diont know okay dont ask me stop that
>>
>>8048663
I sort of know what you mean, but more as revealing fragments of yourself in the attitude of other characters. Although I don't believe in all of it being true attitudes of the author.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.