[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I organize theater plays into highly complex plots, as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Rubik's_cube.svg.png (346 KB, 2000x2083) Image search: [Google]
Rubik's_cube.svg.png
346 KB, 2000x2083
How can I organize theater plays into highly complex plots, as twisted and contorted and intricately satisfactory as a Rubik’s Cube?

I have good ideas for comedies, for example, but I don’t know how to orchestrate the whole thing. Is there a way of putting things on paper and slowly organize the web of plot tentacles and character relations into a resolved and pleasurable puzzle?
>>
Yeah. Why don't you try that last thing you typed.
>>
File: burroughs.jpg (309 KB, 794x1000) Image search: [Google]
burroughs.jpg
309 KB, 794x1000
>>8046067
Okay listen, here's how you do it, you write cues referring to each act of each play you've got under your arm on little bits of paper that you then apply using tape on the little faces of your here cube, with transparent tape so you can read them (you don't need to tape them very well the faces all stay on the surface so the bits of paper will be perfectly safe); then you dip it in whiskey and cum. Add some jokes for the comedy part.
>>
>>8046075
/thread
>>
>>8046067
>he thinks a play could be made to come off as puzzling and complex, even when produced by, assumingly, good actors
>>
>>8046075

1/2

Sorry if I made a mess of it.
Let me give an example. Suppose I want to make a modern day adaption of Volpone and The Misanthrope, with modernized characters and settings. Let us also say I want to have a third plot, a young girl who works as a chemist researcher for the old and rich Volpone and who is the object of love of The Misanthrope. She works in a big research lab, creating formulas for new drugs, and she has the company of a highly costly and modern android, an android who was financed by the billionaire Volpone and who is so sophisticated that he even suffers with depression and anxiety, and dreams on being just a normal machine, capable of solving thousands of problems, but without any anguish.
So, I have three main plots:
1- Volpone (The Fox) is a Venetian gentleman who pretends to be on his deathbed after a long illness in order to dupe Voltore (The Vulture), Corbaccio (The Raven) and Corvino (The Crow), three men who aspire to inherit his fortune. In their turns, each man arrives to Volpone’s house bearing a luxurious gift, intent upon having his name inscribed to the will of Volpone, as his heir. Mosca (The Fly), Volpone’s parasite servant, encourages each man, Voltore, Corbaccio, and Corvino, to believe that he has been named heir to Volpone’s fortune; in the course of which, Mosca persuades Corbaccio to disinherit his own son in favour of Volpone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volpone

2 – The Misanthrope: Much to the horror of his friends and companions, Alceste rejects la politesse, the social conventions of the seventeenth-century French salon. His refusal to "make nice" makes him tremendously unpopular and he laments his isolation in a world he sees as superficial and base, saying early in Act I, "... Mankind has grown so base, / I mean to break with the whole human race".
Despite his convictions, however, Alceste cannot help but love the flighty and vivacious Célimène, a consummate flirt whose wit and frivolity epitomize the courtly manners that Alceste despises. Though he constantly reprimands her, Célimène refuses to change, charging Alceste with being unfit for society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Misanthrope

Lets say that I will make The Misanthrope be realted to Volpone, a young man who despises the normal life, a philosophy student who gets to much impressed by ethics and morals and the right way of living and decides to go to live in a Lighthouse.
>>
>>8046067
See it in nature.
Ultimately, see it in yourself.
>>
>>8046119

Let’s say that, instead of Selimene, this Misanthrope is in love with the girl from plot number 3, A young and bright scientist that likes him, but he is unwilling to leave the great laboratories of Volpone to go live a fruitless live in the country, retired from social life and scientific community. :

3 - a young girl who works as a chemist researcher for the old and rich Volpone and who is the object of love of The Misanthrope. She works in a big research lab, creating formulas for new drugs, and she has the company of a highly costly and modern android, an android who was financed by the billionaire Volpone and who is so sophisticated that he even suffers with depression and anxiety, and dreams on being just a normal machine, capable of solving thousands of problems, but without any anguish.

My question is: how can I create the skeleton, the structure of a play like this? Is there a source for me to learn how to make the architectonics of plot?

>>8046091

>>
>>8046119
>>8046126

what a mess

It can work, but it will be hard to organize
>>
>>8046067
If you want to play with a rubix cube play with a rubix cube, no one will want to watch some shitty needlessly complicated autism spectacle
>>
>>8046273

I don’t want something that complicated: I just want to know how to weave a plot like A Midsummer Night Dream, or A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Forum, or Twelfth Night, or Some Like it Hot.

I am not very good on working the strings and veins that entwine to give life to this kind of theater comedies.
>>
>>8046067
Draw it, look up a video of christ nolan explaining memento
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.