[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading List
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1674455_fullsize.jpg (2 MB, 2505x3373) Image search: [Google]
1674455_fullsize.jpg
2 MB, 2505x3373
For someone completely new to this board, name 3 books that you wish they would have read before joining.
>>
the sticky
>>
>>8041524
Ulysses, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow
Do it for the memes
>>
>>8041539
>Ulysses
Does anyone actually understand that book in all of its complexity? Did Joyce even understand it?
>>
>>8041524
Candide
The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Heart of Darkness
Three easy short reads.
>>
Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest. They need to be read in that order to be understood.
No joke though I picked up Ulysses when I was a palahniuk gobbling pleb not knowing what I was getting into and as a result I fell in love with prose
>>
>>8041524
The Stranger, Notes from the Underground, Dubliners
>>
What do you mean join?

Anyway, if you want to participate in discussions on any meaningful level you're going to have to read widely. But you'll also want to develop your own taste, and read books recommended elsewhere and what not.

Start with the Greeks
>>
>3
That's far too few. You should read everything from http://interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
>>8041528
this desu senpai
>>
The End of Faith by Sam Harris, The God Delusion by Dick Dawkins, and Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly
>>
Women and Men
Zettels Traum
The Voynich Manuscript
>>
Anatomy of Criticism - Northrup Frye
Masscult and Midcult - Dwight MacDonald
Hypershere - Anonymous
>>
File: download (23).jpg (7 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
download (23).jpg
7 KB, 266x190
>>8041524
Odyssey
Iliad
Histories
History of peloponnesian war
Oedipus plays of Sophocles
Oresteia
The campaigns of Alexander
All of Plato
All of Aristotle
Aeneid
All of livys histories
The gallic war
Fuck it im tired somebody finish listing off the romans for me
>>
>>8041802
Metamorphoses
>>
The Bible
The Divine Comedy
Shakespeare
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.