[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever found yourself in the position where you had to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Have you ever found yourself in the position where you had to teleologically suspend the ethical?
>>
No, because God doesn't talk to me.
:( pls respond, God
>>
Well seeing as how Kierkegaard thought the teleological suspension of the ethical made sense in the case of the Knight of Faith, then the only situation in which one would have to do so is if he were called upon to do it by God.
>>
>>8038410

Won't happen unless you've made the movement of infinite resignation, which you haven't.
>>
kierkegaard secret was that he was joseph smith alter ego

if he had the charisma he would have founded the mormons

prove me wrong
>>
>>8038416
Except God talked to Abraham before his movement of infinite resignation (the sacrifice of Isaac). God even kept talking to Abraham even after he didn't listen to what God told him to do, if I remember correctly. Which is why Abraham was confident that God knew what was right, because he showed him three times beforehand.
>>
>>8038433
Those sentences look like shit. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>8038433
No, Kierkegaard considers whether the Binding of Isaac could be explained by the movement of infinite resignation but ultimately concludes that it cannot. The Knight of Infinite Resignation doesn't suspend the ethical, the movement of infinite resignation is an expression of the ethical. To teleologically suspend the ethical is a movement of faith.

"A purely human courage is required to renounce the whole of temporality in order to gain the eternal, but this I gain and never in all eternity can renounce without self-contradiction. But it takes a paradoxical and humble courage next to grasp the whole of temporality by virtue of the absurd, and this is the courage of faith. By faith Abraham did not renounce Isaac, but by faith Abraham received Isaac. By virtue of resignation that rich young man should have given away everything, but when he had done that, the knight of faith would then have said to him: 'By virtue of the absurd you will get every cent back again, if you can believe that.'"

"The story of Abraham contains, then, a teleological suspension of the ethical. As the single individual he became higher than the universal. This is the paradox that cannot be mediated. How he entered into it is just as inexplicable as how he remains in it. If that is not the case with Abraham, then he is not even a tragic hero but a murderer. To want to continue calling him the father of faith, to speak about it to people who do not concern themselves with anything but words, is thoughtless. A human being can become a tragic hero by his own strength, but not the knight of faith."
>>
>>8038401
Ethical? Teleological? Sounds like spooks to me.
>>
You posted this already a couple weeks ago.

I can only assume you weren't satisfied with the results.

You can teleologically suspend deez nuts senpai.
>>
>>8038999
Just trying to confirm my suspicions that /lit/ is full of dilettantes.
>>
>>8039116
The first thread wasn't enough? You need further corroboration for your social experiment?

I mean, this is an anonymous Macedonian textile board. No one's trying to truly prove themselves or impress anyone—there's no attribution to posts. Does it really matter if some, or even most, of its users are amateur readers?

These questions only make sense if you are truly the OP, of course.
>>
File: 1416875976145.jpg (39 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1416875976145.jpg
39 KB, 250x250
>>8038884
I'm not sure how this contradicts what I say
>>
>>8038922

> He's an aesthete.

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>8038411
That's it. Pack it up.
>>
>>8038401
yea, made me as much of an outcast as K was
>>
>>8039217

>>8039217

The point is, to get to a state in which one is called on to suspend the ethical, one is FIRST required to make the movement of infinite resignation, which requires "a purely human courage," not divine revelation. So you have no right to complain about God not talking to you until you've made the movement of infinite resignation (at which point you would have given up complaining anyway).
>>
>>8039148
Cry more.
>>
my entire life
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.