[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone up for an Infinite Jest reading group starting May?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1461609275216.png (211 KB, 550x578) Image search: [Google]
1461609275216.png
211 KB, 550x578
Is anyone up for an Infinite Jest reading group starting May?
>>
>>8038265
DFW hung himself with a belt, pleb.
>>
>>8038265
You'll probably get more out of it just reading it on your own at your own pace. Group readings are pretty plebeian and the only real benefit is forced "motivation", something which you should conjure up on your own or otherwise not even be reading at all.
>>
>>8038265
no. read something good like mason and Dixon, the recognitions or life and fate
>>
>>8038274
... I think group readings are fun ... I've already read the book twice anyways...
>>
>>8038265
I would join in, never read it before and don't feel like I'd be motivated for some time otherwise
>>
>>8038285
>>8038265
I'm going to start in May for the group read. I enjoy group reads, but I haven't had the opportunity given the local book clubs spend most their time reading John Green or awful adult-teen books. So yes, I will be joining.
>>
I enjoy group reads and the local book club doesn't cover books that are outside of the teen-adult genres.
>>
we should read something actually hard to get through, not just annoying
>>
>>8038318
Like what?
>>
What date would be good start for you guys?
>>
>>8038324
we webcrawl most difficult novels
we pick the one that seems most rewarding
>>
>>8038331
Traditionally it is June 21st to September 22nd if I remember correctly.
>>
>>8038332
What is "rewarding" and "difficult" According to who? What does "we" mean in this situation?

Shut the fuck up
>>
>>8038336
Is that Infinite Summer? I'm interested in starting earlier myself.
>>
>>8038339
you've got mental problems m8
>>
>>8038341
Yeah, that's infinite summer. I mean, read it at your own pace, it's just a lot easier to continue the tradition on the regular dates. I personally set out nine books to pace through until Infinite summer.
>>
How about June 1st?
>>
>>8038269
Did his pants slide down?
>>
>>8038503
He died as he lived: spilling spaghetti all over the place.
>>
File: spaghetti (10).jpg (298 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti (10).jpg
298 KB, 1280x960
>>8038514
>>
Can anyone explain this whole Infinite Jest meme to me? What is the whole thing about it?
>>
>>8038564
It's long, memable and has a few interesting parts. David Foster Wallace gave interviews and is also memable. His death is too. IJ was advertised a lot when it came out and it's well known for being the kind of book many buy but few actually read.
How could it not be a /lit/ meme?
>>
File: dfw.jpg (259 KB, 2294x2215) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
259 KB, 2294x2215
HE LIVES
>>
Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace, is the worst science fiction novel ever written. The truth is it might be the worst novel ever written, or at least published, but given the fact that Wallace has stiff competition from the burgeoning spawn of PC Elitist writers, not to mention his own PoMo kith, such as Rick Moody, Dave Eggers, and that ilk, I think I’ll stick with just calling it the worst sci fi has ever produced. Granted, I am not one who has read all the depth of sci fi offerings, but I’ve read enough to know that this so far undershoots the rest that by mere extrapolation it would be a titanic achievement for another author to do worse. Yes, there are the sword and sorcerer riff-raff, the cyber-punk crapola, and the remanent dross of the Golden and Silver Ages of sci fi still hanging around, and even those who’ve produced masterpieces, such as Richard Matheson and Ursula LeGuin, have been known to write horrorshow books in terms of quality, but this dystopian novel by Wallace is worse than them all. His book, only a decade old, is more outdated than many Golden and Silver Age sci fi books specifically because of his slang’s sounding as relevant as John Dryden’s courtly verse. Unlike Anthony Burgess’s A Clockwork Orange, the slang is based in the then-contemporary world, which makes it seem so 1990s trying to seem cool, rather than timeless. Even his use of emails, with outdated isp formats, seems to belie his lack of creativity. Not that his relentlessly PoMo use of product brand names, bumper stickers, redaction marks, and lengthy digressions on things as pointless as Hawaii 5-0’s relevance versus Hills Street Blues’, does not already belie his creative bankruptcy, but it’s worth noting. Of course, nothing comes of his discourses- they’re tossed in like olives in a salad, so Wallace can preen his learnedness to you, and dropped just as quickly- a habit that he too often indulges- bringing up and dropping things.
>>
>>8039015
Harold?
>>
File: IJ___Reading_Schedule.jpg (385 KB, 568x1447) Image search: [Google]
IJ___Reading_Schedule.jpg
385 KB, 568x1447
>>8038331
Just like last year. Keep the tradition alive.
>>
>>8038503
Yes, and his last breath was into a slide whistle.
>>
>>8038265
No, I am still starting with the Greeks
>>
>>8038503
>pushed Mary Karr out of a moving car
The absolute madman.
>>
>>8038927
D-Dave....?
>>
I think infinite summer could be pretty fun, not been reading all too long and never been part of a reading 'group' so I'm looking forward to it
>>
>>8038927
Nah, he didn't have long hair by the time he died.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.