[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About a week ago, I went to a used bookstore. I found a copy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
About a week ago, I went to a used bookstore. I found a copy of 'The Brothers Karamazov' for $4.50 CAD. I bought it only knowing a few things I had heard about the book in general.

The translation is by Andrew H. MacAndrew. Has anyone read this translation? Any thoughts about it? Will it ruin my first time with The Brothers Karamazov?

Pic related, except in Very Good condition.
>>
Read it and see for yourself
>>
>>8037809
Wow. What a smart and intelligent answer.
The book is nine hundred pages long. I don't want to get to page eight hundred, an find out that I'm reading a horrible translation that completely botched the entire message/idea behind the book.
>>
>>8037819
m8 you re reading a translation, if you want to get 'the entire message/idea behind the book' read it in russian

fucking faggots
>>
It's Dostoevsky, it's pretty much unanimously agreed that his prose is awful. You read him for the content, not the style. It really doesn't matter what translation you read for him.
>>
>>8037819
>translation that completely botched the entire message/idea behind the book.
Let's be honest, this can't happen.
>>
File: wittgenstein.jpg (768 KB, 1171x1380) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
768 KB, 1171x1380
>>8037860
>It's Dostoevsky, it's pretty much unanimously agreed that his prose is awful
>>
>>8037869
Name me some great authors who were amazed by his prose.
>>
File: little_cute_cat_1920x1080.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
little_cute_cat_1920x1080.jpg
319 KB, 1920x1080
>>8037819
but what if you've actually enjoyed reading it up to that point, and a better translation would have meant you wouldn't have enjoyed it so much?

you're being quite pessimistic here anon. are you ok? do you need a hug?
>>
>>8037807
You should be grateful to have it.
>>
>>8038058
I'm probably not okay.

>>8038062
Why?
>>
>>8037887
Nabokov just could stop talking about it.
>>
>>8038263
What is this even supposed to mean?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.