[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a hard read, or is it just long?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: dostoevsky posterl.png (3 MB, 670x893) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky posterl.png
3 MB, 670x893
Is this a hard read, or is it just long?
>>
>>8034411
On a basic level, novice readers will be able to take a lot of enjoyment out of it but I think a lot of the meaning of the work takes a lot to recognize and engage with so its kind of both
>>
I just read it and loved it (Pevear & Volokhonsky translation). It's not too hard to read, but yes it is long.

It's worth reading for sure, I was I read it sooner. I enjoyed it much more than Crime and Punishment.
>>
Any translation that renders the title as "the brothers Karamazov" is a poor translation

>the brothers Warner
>>
>>8035172
Originally maybe but its formed a life of its own, I think it sounds cool
>>
>>8034427
>this hard

It's not a hard book to find the meaning in, Dostoevsky is always clear on his thoughts and his characters are such caricatures that they're never too hard to decipher. The only deep bit that's remotely "hard" is Ivan's Parable and that's explained anyway. After that, it's all a rather fun family drama.
>>
>>8035181
I think you're right. Dostoevsky is fairly straightforward. Just read up on existentialism a bit before hand and you'll see it everywhere in that book. every character is kind of similar in that they struggle with being authentic which causes all these problems and misunderstandings.
>>
>>8034411
It becomes a quicker read at around 200 or so. Not a hard book but not an easy one. The ideas and themes are pretty commonly discussed at a low level in high school english. I always suggest looking up the meaning if you have trouble though, it'll help you how to think about other texts you read in the future, being stubborn and prideful never helps.
>>
>>8035181
What do you think the parable means?

It's been a long while since I've read it. But in context it seems like Ivan trying rile Alyosha up by making the enlightenment/cynical suggestion that the second coming would upset the church because of the threat it would pose to their power structure.

But there seems to be something more going on. Some deeper indignation present in the inquisitor
>>
>>8035172
Iirc the russian name 'бpaтья Кapaмaзoвы' is better translated as brothers karamazov considering russian adjective order is the same as english
>>
>>8034411
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but the only thing that I really had to look up in order to fully wrap my head around was the chapter with Ivan and the devil. Shit just went way over my head.

All in all, Dostoevsky makes the message and themes of the novel very clear both through pretty much blatantly telling you, to showing you based on how each of the characters act. Just keep track of characters and character names, if you have trouble with that.
>>
>>8035181

To "find the meaning", as you say, might not be hard, but to interpret the book with a more profund analyses may take a lot of work and preparation.

I think many people who post on /lit/ think the book is written for a specific purpose, for "a meaning", for a moral, like a fable, but in real life I think that's not quite the case. It's a lot more complex than that.

Not to say I get it: I'm a STEM student. But I do think /lit/ should look into having deeper analysis
>>
>>8034411
Just long.
>>
>>8035730
Explain.
>>
It's really pretty straightforward. It's a big time commitment though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.