[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Troy" after Schliemann was no longer a dream,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (63 KB, 585x750) Image search: [Google]
JoyceUlysses2.jpg
63 KB, 585x750
>"Troy" after Schliemann was no longer a dream, but a place on the map.

>As a boy, not long after Schliemann's death, [Joyce] had responded to Lamb's retelling of the story. By 1906 he wanted to write a story of his own, set in Dublin and called "Ulysses." Eight years later he was seriously at work on what he had rethought as a larger project, a book whose hero should move around a single city as Homer's had moved around the Mediterranean.

we're putting together a Ulysses reading group over on /lit/ chat at https://discord.gg/01016TZPAPUILvYGe

we have the #Ulysses channel, and also a #general channel for general literary/off-topic discussions. "/soc/ing" is not a "thing" in this chat if you are worried about that, and we're all fairly decent ppl, so give it a shot at least.

(if you don't have a copy of Ulysses, wow, what a pleb. you can get the epub/kindle version from one of us.)
>>
>ulysses reading group

lol it's gonna fail in a week senpai, no one here reads
>>
Here is the bare minimum need to read before embarking on this odyssey:

A book or two about the discovery of the Aegean civilisations
Detailed history of Ancient Greece
Iliad
Odyssey
Aeneid
Divine Comedy
Linear B Archives
Homeric Hymns
Orphic Hymns
Scholiasts on Homer
Apollodorus
Diodorus
Plato
Aristotle
Presocratics (esp. Heraclitus)
Celtic myths and history
Dubliners
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
File: Bloomsdaycourse.gif (109 KB, 1000x901) Image search: [Google]
Bloomsdaycourse.gif
109 KB, 1000x901
>>8031761
>books required for understanding Ulysses
>history of Ancient Greece?
>Ulysses takes place in Dublin? hello?
>no mention of Meme Trilogy books I and II whatsoever

wew OK how about we read this first though and see what happens

https://discord.gg/01016TZPAPULpxT67
>>
>>8031874
Wew lad
>>
https://discord.gg/01016TZPAPUIqCG6S

new link, in case any readers appear on /lit/
>>
>>8031761
What about Metamorphoses?
>>
>>8031761
>all this required reading
kek. i read it even before i read dubliners or portrait of an artist. and guess what, it was fucking amazing. ineluctable modality of the visible up in dat ass, bitch.
>>
May 16th to June 16th would be cool
>>
>>8031761
Ulysses isn't some kind of pat on the back for knowing all the references, it can be read purely for the sounds of the prose
>>
invite expired
i wanna join
>>
>>8033989
nvm
>>
heres one just in case

https://discord.gg/01016TZPAPUJdarIH
>>
>>8031761
So wrong. You really only need to have read the Portrait. Otherwise, having a Linati schema and the Wikipedia article on the Odyssey ready to hand will do just fine.

I recommend having a copy of the Gifford Annotated as well, and if you're bad at reading in general, the Blamires "Bloomsday Book," which summarizes the action of each episode. It's ok to admit you're bad at reading, btw. Most people are before they finish Ulysses.
>>
File: 345.jpg (30 KB, 521x295) Image search: [Google]
345.jpg
30 KB, 521x295
are there going to be threads? I probably won't bother using the chat thing
>>
>>8034102
Portrait AND Dubliners tbqhwy blood relative
>>
>>8034192
I might post some threads. discussions begin May 15 btw (Sunday).
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.