[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Toni Morrison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: toni-morrison.jpg (103 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
toni-morrison.jpg
103 KB, 400x526
How do Americans feel about her? Is this caption true? Any writer who are much better on her topics?
>>
Nigger
>>
least deserving nobel prize winner
>>
>>8030904
She's good bait on /lit/
>>
>>8030904
>How do Americans feel about her?
That she is a third rate Faulkner.
>Any writer who are much better on her topics?
Which ones? In general, Faulkner.
>>
>>8030904
Even the non-gender binary lesbians I know never have brought her up. As far as I can tell she is totally irrelevant as a novelist. I never see her books in second hand shops, I have never seen her seriously discussed or recommended other than people shitting on her on /lit/. Most people who would care enough to read her stuff are probably going to cop out and read bullshit memoirs and manifestos and in the contemporary era, tumblr. I'm sure she has circles out there but she is not some sort of permeating author. David Foster Wallace and James Joyce are more known by normies a than Toni Morrison AFAIK.
>>
>>8030913

Not baiting, I swear. Just read some articles on 90's Nobel Prize winners.
>>
>>8030904
"Beloved" is universally considered the greatest American novel published since 1980 (according to "a couple of hundred prominent writers, critics, editors and other literary sages"):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/books/fiction-25-years.html
>>
>>8030930
>(according to "a couple of hundred prominent writers, critics, editors and other literary sages
As Bloom said, there are not so many literary critics in the entire world.
>>
>>8030930
thats more indicative of how garbage american lit is, and less of hwo good (it's not) beloved is.
>>
Actually terrible. The most egotistical writer I've seen taken seriously.

Everything she writes about is essentially just focused on being black, a woman, or being a black woman.

She lacks any sort of creativity or originality; no discernable talent.
>>8030930
All those people are non-entities, you realize that right?
>>
>>8030939
Lol, always a butthurt esl crawling out of the woodowork
>>
>>8030950
lol if ur ok with beloved being the best american novel since 1990 and you think theres nothing wrong with that be my guest. stay pleb friend.

also im american sooooo
>>
>>8030939
Yes, American lit is crap, so 'Beloved' is the best of a bad lot.
>>
>>8030959
which is exactly my point in >>8030939

reading comprehension much?
>>
>>8030965
I was agreeing with you, shitbird. Relax.
>>
>>8030959
>beloved is better than anything by Roth, Updike, Salinger, Bellow
lol, and I'm sure you've read all of those books right?
>>
>>8030905
Wow great criticism
>>
>>8030948
>All those people are non-entities, you realize that right?
The following people are *all* non-entities?

The Judges:

Kurt Andersen, Roger Angell, A. Manette Ansay, James Atlas, Russell Banks, John Banville, Julian Barnes, Andrea Barrett, Rick Bass, Ann Beattie, Madison Smartt Bell, Aimee Bender, Paul Berman, Sven Birkerts, Harold Bloom, Bill Buford, Ethan Canin, Philip Caputo, Michael Chabon, Susan Choi, Mark Costello, Michael Cunningham, Edwidge Danticat, Don DeLillo, Pete Dexter, Junot Diaz, Morris Dickstein, Andre Dubus III, Tony Earley, Richard Eder, Jennifer Egan, Dave Eggers, Lucy Ellmann, Nathan Englander, Louise Erdrich, Anne Fadiman, Henry Finder, Jonathan Safran Foer, Paula Fox, Nell Freudenberger, Carlos Fuentes, David Gates, Henry Louis Gates Jr., Julia Glass, Nadine Gordimer, Mary Gordon, Robert Gottlieb, Philip Gourevitch, Elizabeth Graver, Andrew Sean Greer, Allan Gurganus, Jim Harrison, Kathryn Harrison, Alice Hoffman, A. M. Homes, Maureen Howard, John Irving, Ha Jin, Thom Jones, Heidi Julavits, Ward Just, Mary Karr, William Kennedy, Frank Kermode, Stephen King, Maxine Hong Kingston, Walter Kirn, Benjamin Kunkel, David Leavitt, Chang-Rae Lee, Brad Leithauser, Frank Lentricchia, John Leonard, Jonathan Lethem, Alan Lightman, David Lodge, Ralph Lombreglia, Phillip Lopate, Janet Malcolm, Thomas Mallon, Ben Marcus, Peter Matthiessen, Ian McEwan, David Means, Daphne Merkin, Stephen Metcalf, Rick Moody, Lorrie Moore, Geoffrey O'Brien, Chris Offutt, Stewart O'Nan, David Orr, Cynthia Ozick, Ann Patchett, Tom Perrotta, Richard Gid Powers, William Pritchard, Francine Prose, Terrence Rafferty, Marilynne Robinson, Roxana Robinson, Norman Rush, Richard Russo, George Saunders, Liesl Schillinger, Joanna Scott, Jim Shepard, Karen Shepard, David Shields, Gary Shteyngart, Lee Siegel, Curtis Sittenfeld, Jane Smiley, Wole Soyinka, Scott Spencer, William Styron, Studs Terkel, Deborah Treisman, Anne Tyler, Mario Vargas Llosa, William T. Vollmann, Edmund White, Tom Wolfe, Tobias Wolff.
>>
>>8030976
did you even click the fucking link
>>
Literally who
>>
>>8030956
But your whole shitty argument revolves around their being right.
>also im american sooooo
autistic tbqh
>>
>>8030983

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>8030983
There are a few good names, and dozens of nonenitites. He never said they were all nonentities, you fucking illiterate, but the it's the same effect.
>>
>>8030976
It's not about my opinion, Anon. It's the consensus opinion of the greatest writers working today.
>>
>>8030984
type like this yeah
>>
>>8030996
>He never said they were all nonentities, you fucking illiterate

He literally said "All those people are non-entities". Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>8030997
there are not 10 great writers living
>>
>>8031005
Well, number 1 is certainly Toni Morrison. On that, at least, we can agree.
>>
>>8031004
>He literally said "All those people are non-entities". Are you fucking retarded?
Are you? It was probably hypberbole.
Why go for a pedantic literal interpretation when the main point stands? Your mind is not quite adequate lol
>>
>>8031014
Why would we? Shit post tbqh, reported for trolling
>>
>>8031014
wew
>>
>>8031017
Has nothing to do with my point, since he obviously did not vote for it to be number one.
>>
>>8030983
>The following people are *all* non-entities?
Essentially, yes. She's an extremely dull writer with some technical skill and a minority/woman card (that she plays like a master); that crap draws the attention of modern academic-types.

And as others have said before, modern American literature is a joke.
>>8030997
popular =/= great

You aren't making a good case for yourself, Toni. The majority of your fans are agenda-pushers that attempt to mask that selfish behavior through academic posturing.
>>
>>8031026
>And as others have said before, modern American literature is a joke.
Bellow and Updike were good imo
>>
Here are the full results.

>THE WINNER:
Beloved - Toni Morrison (1987)

>THE RUNNERS-UP:
Underworld - Don DeLillo (1997)
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy (1985)
Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels - John Updike (1995)
American Pastoral - Philip Roth (1997)

>THE FOLLOWING BOOKS ALSO RECEIVED MULTIPLE VOTES:
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (1980)
Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson (1980)
Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin (1983)
White Noise - Don DeLillo (1985)
The Counterlife - Philip Roth (1986)
Libra - Don DeLillo (1988)
Where I'm Calling From - Raymond Carver (1988)
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien (1990)
Mating - Norman Rush (1991)
Jesus' Son - Denis Johnson (1992)
Operation Shylock - Philip Roth (1993)
Independence Day - Richard Ford (1995)
Sabbath's Theater - Philip Roth (1995)
Border Trilogy - Cormac McCarthy (1999)
The Human Stain - Philip Roth - (2000)
The Known World - Edward P. Jones - (2003)
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth - (2004)
>>
>>8031016
HOLY SHIT. Just admit you fucked up, moron.
>>
I thought beloved was really good. I dont get why you guys have a problem with her writing about black women, she is a black woman, most white male writers write about white males and no one thinks that's weird so
>>
>>8031037
>makes a general point
>point out irrelevant shit
Yeah nah, fuck off cunt
>>
>>8031026
>I don't care who they are! If they don't agree with me, they aren't Important!

>Agenda pushing

As if lit isn't full of agenda pushing faggots who are either alt right or of the opinion that reading a classic book made them intellectually superior
>>
>>8030904
Never heard of her.
>>
>>8031042
How is that relevant to my point?
Please don't start shitposting.
>>
>>8031038
>I dont get why you guys have a problem with her writing about black women
True art is universal, pseud.
> most white male writers write about white males
They write about those who happen to be white males. Even then, you're wrong. Many of the best books by men are about women as well - Portrait of a Lady, Anne Veronica, The Scarlet Letter etc
>>
>>8031041
Are you drunk?
>>
>>8031042
>either alt right o
What the fuck does this have to do with the obvious fact that there are not even a dozen great writers or critics living, much less a couple of hundred.

The larger the group gets, the more mediocre it is.
>>
"Beloved" by Toni Morrison is the consensus pick for best American novel of the past 40 years.
>>
>>8031050
On fucking up cunts like you.
Here's a word of advice fatfuck: don't come to this website again until you're ready to have an actual discussion.

Reported for shitposting and general trolling
>>
>>8031033
So of these which are worth reading would you say?

My guess.

Underworld - Don DeLillo (1997)
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy (1985)
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (1980)
White Noise - Don DeLillo (1985)
>>
>>8031053
>not even a dozen great writers
You = illiterate moron.

Learn how to read before spouting off on a /lit/ thread.
>>
File: 1458366442032.png (848 KB, 830x770) Image search: [Google]
1458366442032.png
848 KB, 830x770
>>8031057
>consensus
>on art
>>
>>8031062
>You = illiterate moron.
This looks like something a caveman would write.

My post btw is a Bloom quote, so take it up with the great critic whom you find to be so illiterate.
im in the thread btw, not on it
>>
>>8031048
Black authors do the same thing, you're really stretching to fit some pathetic view of the world.
>>
>>8031064
>>8031070
>>8031062
>>8031061
>>8031059
>>8031057
>>8031053
>>8031050
Ignore them bro, they're shitposting morons. Beloved is trash lmao
>>
>>8031038

These people don't fucking care about that logic, all they want to do is proclaim that all black people write about race which is why they are bad so that you'll ignore the fact that race affects black people so much every day that its constantly in their culture.

This is lit

If they aren't old enough to be classic they are shit
If they are too popular that means it's shit.
If they dont agree with the Anon, they are shit.
If they don't look like anon they are shit.
If they beat out an author that they really liked for an award, they are extremely shit.
If they are considered good in a genre, that means the genre is shit.

Better get used to it
>>
>>8031045

Don't pretend like agenda pushing doesn't exist everywhere around us
>>
>>8031048
>implying texts about black women cannot be universal
>implying "universal" means anything in this sentence
>implying that policing admission to True Art is the mark of intellectual authenticity
>>
>>8031072
>Black authors do the same thing
lolno
None of her characters happens to be black. It is always a defining characteristic. It is simple mindedness, pure and simple.

Here's some advice buttercup. Go out in the world and fuck it up beautifully. Design clothes so hideous that they can’t be worn ironically. Horrify us with new ideas. Outrage outdated critics. Use technology for transgression, not lazy social living. Make me nervous! Visit bath houses and wreck what came before. Oosh. It's 2016.
>>
>>8031061

As lit would say, they are all shit, but if the nigger won then she's more shit than the rest of the shitty shits.
>>
>>8031059
Let's review the conversation thus far.
---------
>ME:
"Beloved" is universally considered the greatest American novel published since 1980 (according to "a couple of hundred prominent writers, critics, editors and other literary sages")

>Some idiot:
All those people are non-entities, you realize that right?

>ME:
The following people are *all* non-entities? (list of judges)

>YOU:
He never said they were all nonentities, you fucking illiterate

>ME:
He literally said "All those people are non-entities". Are you fucking retarded?

>YOU:
Are you? It was probably hypberbole. Why go for a pedantic literal interpretation when the main point stands? Your mind is not quite adequate lol
---------

Let that sink in for a minute. Reread it a few times if you have to.

To summarize: you are either very drunk or deeply retarded.
>>
>>8030983
Stephen King sticking out like a sore thumb lmao
>>
>>8031085
>implying texts about black women cannot be universal
Never implied that, learn to read.
>implying "universal" means anything in this sentence
Use dictionary if you don't know the word.
>implying that policing admission to True Art is the mark of intellectual authenticity
Never implied that, learn to read
>>
>>8031088
did you really think you were saying something there?
>>
>>8031094
>The following people are *all* non-entities? (list of judges)
Retarded post because that was not the main point. Let this sink in: you are technically right but totally stupid.

You are like a man who, on being asked by a beautiful girl to come up for cofee, replies with "no I do not like cofee." Technically you are right, totally you are an idiot.
>>
>>8030904

Reading her book summaries, she seems kind of one-note.

I tried reading the bluest eye... I liked how miserable and self-loathing it was, but I didn't think it went far enough.
>>
>>8031061
Those are all garbage, especially the McCarthy.

Updike and Roth are the only good runners-up.
>>
>>8030997
>consensus opinion
You do realize that it's only the consensus opinion because she's a sassy black woman, right? I'm not even an outright Morrison hater: the last I've read of her was Jazz, and it was total dogshit, but The Bluest Eye is unironically good, and for all I know Beloved might be too. However, she's just not even in the same league as Roth, McCarthy, DeLillo and Tommy P. She could never write something as touching as The Human Stain, for instance, because Roth's compassion extends to the world and everyone in it; Morrison's only compassion is towards herself and other dark-skinned women. She's a niche author, and it's only consensus opinion that she's "the greatest" because U.S. cultural life has basically become a bone-throwing machine for minorities at this point.
>>
>>8031099
>cant refute my post
>"i-it's nothing!"
lolsad
>>
Song of Solomon > Sula > Beloved >The Bluest Eye > Jazz > Paradise >>>> Tar Baby > everything else

She's a great novelist, not an amazing artist I think.
>>
>>8031111
Put the booze down and go to bed, son.
>>
>>8031061
Roth and updike, white noise was meh
>>
>>8031120
>Say Black authors dont do what you say they did
>continues arguing about Toni Morrison

m8 you werent even on the same page as me so lets not
>>
>>8031123
Do you not see my point? Your nitpicking has nothing to do with the discussion, it is pure dogshit.
>>
>>8031098
>implying your platitude depends on a use of language precise enough to call for reference to dictionary definitions

let's have a conversation about universality
>>
>>8031098
>True art is universal (in this context writing about black women is not universal)
You said writing about black women was not universal. How did you not imply that? Maybe you should learn to read, or maybe write if you don't understand how sentences convey thoughts.
>>
>>8031128
>Say Black authors dont do what you say they did
Morrison is only an example. Ellison, Hughes, Wright, etc, it's all the same social issue poshlust trash.
>>
>>8031033
Mason & Dixon is shockingly absent.

Too much Roth. Never cared for him. Writes artless, insular nonsense about Tri-state semites.

Toni Morrison and Junot Diaz are living proof that literary critics are agenda-driven.
>>
>>8031111

Actually that poster was right you fucking spud.

You said that they were all non entity as if to say all unimportant, and then realizing how fucking stupid that was you said it was hyperbole so you can maybe say a lot of them were unimportant
>>
>>8031131
>let's have a conversation about universality
Why would we focus on a single word? I merely meant to say that true art can appeal to people regardless of skin color or social class.
>implying your platitude
Why have a conversation is this is a platitude? You know it is a platitude, but you don't understand what I'm saying. You seem dumb senpai
>>
>>8031134
you really can't compare them. for example between her and Ellison he views blackness as an existential problem where she feels that's missing the point, that it's a failure of community.
>>
lol /pol/ is leaking
>>
>>8031135
>Roth
>artless
Fuck off, American Trilogy-era Roth has some of the best traditional prose the U.S. have ever produced.
>>
>>8031076
>race affects black people so much every day that its constantly in their culture.
Go back to Tumblr please, your agenda has no place here.
>>8031079
I didn't say otherwise.

lmao a Morrison fan can't read; an absolute classic.
>>8031094
>Some idiot
Morrison fails at being literature by forcing her blackness into her work. Similarly, those new-fangled genre fiction writers fail at writing entertainment because they force their whatever into their work.

There's allowing one's culture to exist within their work, and forcing it in and having it be the absolute ham-fisted focus.

She can write, sure, but she just isn't any good.
>>8031136
There is more than one person laughing at you, Anon.

Those people all are unimportant. I completely doubt that a single one's influence will live past the 21st century.
>>
>>8031132
>You said writing about black women was not universal.
No I did not, learn to read peasant.
>>8031136
>You said that they were all non entity as if to say all unimportant
okay, how's this for an intelligent conversation:
>all nazi governmental official were evil tbqh, I don't care about their opinions
>"actually this one guy..."
It's technically right, but totally stupid. Try to fit it into that small head of yours.
>>
>>8031139
You also implied that writing about black women couldn't achieve appeal to all people and then backpedaled.
>>
>>8031140
>he views blackness
This is my whole point in a nutshell, it is inartistic to "view" "blackness"
>>
File: 114181379679872.jpg (89 KB, 590x468) Image search: [Google]
114181379679872.jpg
89 KB, 590x468
>>8031142

Definately. This is not what I expected when started the thread. Only 0.056456% of posters replied something to the point.
>>
Pretty much every author writes about their perspective and feelings on a certain thing in one way or another.

I think people only let it slide if that person is white, go figure
>>
>>8031143
"Traditional prose" is garbage. I'll take Faulkner over Hemingway any day.
>>
>>8031151
>You also implied that writing about black women couldn't achieve appeal to all people and then backpedaled.
No, you simply failed to comprehend my post.
>>
>>8031157
>Pretty much every author writes about their perspective and feelings on a certain thing in one way or another.
The point is that she writes mainly about these things, you imbecile.
You read Anna Karenina and don't see how that book can appeal to people of all races? What poverty of thought
>>
>>8031158
Aaaah, so you're one of those edgy, meme-chasing, "I only read books written after modernism" plebs. Noted.
>>
>>8031152
why? because you said so?
>>
>>8031164

So does Langston Hughes work, and so much in the world of music, just stop posting
>>
>>8031142
>post a shit writer
>lol /pol/ if u disagree!
>>8031155
This thread is on point, fuckface. Unless "on point" means you agree with what is being said
nice try senpai
>>
It comes down to who you trust: 4chan, or the consensus of world's top writers.
>>
>>8031170
>So does Langston Hughes work
No, it doesn't. His work has no appeal outside the black community, it is pure balderdash. He has no technical skill.
>>8031169
Because it is obvious
Art is about emotions-what emotion is unique to blackness?
>>
>>8031170
Another anon here. Morrison's problem is not that she writes about black women. It's that she has been writing the same tearjerking, melodramatic, Wardine-be-cry book for over 30 years.
>>
>>8031168
>Faulkner
>after modernism
>>8031173
People are more honest when anonymous and not when they're posturing under a microscope
>>
>>8031147
Let's direct this absolute dogsshit you've just give me.

I said race affects black people so much that it is constantly in their culture. I didn't say racism I didn't blame anyone, you still took it wrong and made a non argument telling me to go to tumblr.

Point 2
You complained about the Morrison's fans agenda like agendas are a bad thing but you don't even care about the other agendas.

Point 3
Influence to whom? You understand that the authors you dickride have absolutely tiny influence to the rest of the world except you and your fellow fans?
>>
I read A Mercy and it was pretty good.
>>
>>8030983
who are all those people?

ok i know stepehen king, he wrote some thrillers about urination, like toilet tigers which catch boys who ask their teacher to allow them to go urinate, vampires urinating while being invisible in the mirror, a finger which sticks from the sink and makes a guy nervous which prevents his urination so he has to urinate on the street, stuff like that
>>
File: 1439478642179.png (120 KB, 340x351) Image search: [Google]
1439478642179.png
120 KB, 340x351
>>8031179
>Art is about emotions
holy shit get a load of this guy
>>
>>8031173
Trust yourself, imbecile. This is exactly what's wrong with the average morrison fan
>>
>>8031148
Christ what a faggot.
>I meant something else than exactly what I fucking said ur a peasant!
>>
>>8031164
not him, but white people never really view their race as a problem, and thus they do not write about them. For black authors racism plays a major part in their lives, which is why it figures so prominently in black literature.
>>
>>8031186
>sartre
I'll take a medium latte tbqh
>and so much in the world of music
What does music have to do with any of this? I'm glad you said that though, it reveal perfectly the mind of those defending this hack:
>h-he is really saying that blacks in general are inferior!
I am not.
>>
>>8031185
>who are all those people
If you are seriously this clueless, you shouldn't be posting on /lit/.
>>
>>8031170
>Langston Hughes

oh that poet about spittoons?
>>
>>8031187
You never even read "Beloved".
>>
>>8031189
>racism plays a major part in their lives
It's hard to imagine this being true for Toni Morrison.
>>
>>8031173
>or the consensus of world's top writers.
Except they're bad writers.
popular =/= good

Posturing little brat.
>>8031183
>Let's direct this absolute dogsshit you've just give me.
I don't respond further to hostile children, sorry!
>>8031193
>if he doesn't give a damn about my non-entities he doesn't belong here!
>>8031195
>IF YOU POST THING I DONT LIKE YOU HAVEN'T EVEN EAD THING I LIKE
>>
>>8031188
>I meant something else than exactly what I fucking said ur a peasant!
So a girl asks you to come up for coffee, you say:
>Sorry miss, I hate coffee xD
>>8031189
>For black authors racism plays a major part in their liv
Obviously, but this doesn't mean its artistic.
>How dare you say my kindergartener isn't making worthwhile art! He's only five :(
fuck off cunt
>>8031186
>>8031185
>>8031184
>>8031183
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>8031193
neither of those is any important and all except king are virtually unknown outside of usa
>>
>>8031179

Look, I don't think Hughes is an immortal poet, but all three of your claims about him are completely wrong. Just look at Life Is Fine. The first quatrain, in particular, is a work of pure, simple art. I'm not a fan of the idea of reading someone only because they belong to one group or another, but completely discounting the idea of an African-American literature is mere ignorance and lack of taste, just as much as is reading African-American literature only because it's African-American.
>>
>>8031189

I mean yeah but I'm not black so doesn't appeal to everyone!

White authors obviously wouldn't appeal to blacks for this reason by they are old and called classics so they can't be infallible in any way.
>>
>>8031139
No no, I mean a conversation about the conditions under which a novel (or any aesthetic object) can be called "universal." Since you mean to set this up as the criterion for an aesthetic object's success, it is a concept worth elaborating.

Universality, in this post, refers to a kind of appeal. An artwork is "universal" when it doesn't base its appeal on any determination of racial/social status. Is it the race/class of the author that should be left undetermined? Or is it the race/class of the characters?

Or do you mean to say that some works of art are "untrue" because their purely aesthetic appeals get mixed up with a kind of literary "affirmative action"?

The purpose of conversation is to not think in platitudes. It's questionable whether people understand what their platitudes mean. Saying "true art is universal" could be a position you actually want to defend or it could be a kind of reflex that people fall back on when they want to justify an exclusion. The only way to find out is to have a conversation about the terms you're using and the sense in which you're using them.
>>
>>8031201
>e first quatrain, in particular, is a work of pure, simple art. I'm
It reads like a shitty bit of country music
>er, but completely discounting the idea of an African-American literature is mere ignorance and lack of taste
No good books have been written by black Americans.
> only because it's African-American.
You imbeciles always pull out the same lines, can't you at least be original? You're honestly as simple and boring as /pol/tards
I hate the writing because it is poor, not because its piss poor author happened to be black.
>>
>>8031199

If that long winded fart you typed out at the bottom wasnt satire you really should just kill yourself. The most condescending, self righteous, retarded dribble. You must think you live inside the sun! Jesus Christ you are pathetic.
>>
>>8031198
Why won't you admit you never read "Beloved"?
>>
File: 1461556327237.jpg (22 KB, 252x249) Image search: [Google]
1461556327237.jpg
22 KB, 252x249
>>8031111
>>
>>8031111
you respect yourself so little so you agree to drink coffee with any girl in any circumstances?
>>
>>8031208
>No no, I mean a conversation about the conditions under which a novel (or any aesthetic object) can be called "universal." Since you mean to set this up as the criterion for an aesthetic object's success, it is a concept worth elaborating.
No, it isn't since no two persons ever agree on this, and since abstract discussions are the first resort of every second rater looking to make room for his clumsy cliches.
>An artwork is "universal" when it doesn't base its appeal on any determination of racial/social status. Is it the race/class of the author that should be left undetermined? Or is it the race/class of the characters?
Already, you've gone beyond anything I implied in that post.
>Or do you mean to say that some works of art are "untrue" because their purely aesthetic appeals get mixed up with a kind of literary "affirmative action"?
I mean to make the obvious fact that art about such subjects as "blackness," class, oppression, are not the subjects of true art, there must be something more
>>
>>8031229
define something more or just dont post again
>>
>>8031217
>Why won't you admit you never read "Beloved"?
Except I have, why do you insist on being inflammatory when called out?
>>
>>8031229
>class, oppression, are not the subjects of true art

So Dickens isnt true art?
>>
>>8031227
>ou respect yourself so little so you agree to drink coffee with any girl in any circumstances?
So you think the girl really meant to drink coffee? you seem dumb senpai! lolmao
>>
WE WUZ NOBEL PRIZE WINNING AUTHORS N SHIT
>>
File: image.png (378 KB, 1515x471) Image search: [Google]
image.png
378 KB, 1515x471
>>8031179
>balderdash
>>
>>8031095
The ones that caught my eye were Russel Banks and Harold Bloom.
>>
>>8031236
so you agree to sleep with any non ugly girl in any circumstances?
you are not even a slut, you are a thirsty virgin
>>
>>8031239

Le blak peeple r all Afrocentrist meme
>>
>>8031118
I hated The Human Stain.

>lol he was black the whole time gotcha fuckers
>>
>>8031231
Isn't it obvious? Technical skill and originality. Beautiful descriptions, perfect symmetry of language, strength of effect.
>>8031235
>something more
Dickens has something more. His descriptions are excellent, his characters are poor, but they are not mainly poor.
>>
>>8031244
What? It has nothing to do with Afrocentrism. It's just a nonsense dada meme I shout whenever a black person wins an award. There is no meaning or connection, it's a joke.
>>
>>8031243
>so you agree to sleep with any non ugly girl in any circumstances?
No, but I do recognize her intentions. Again, you are being mentally feeble family

Keep this in mind:
It seems there's a time in every white, male, middle class, suburban millennial's life where we, usually around the age of 13, fall in love with Beloved. It's a perfectly natural reaction. Their melodramatic, angst-ridden screeds against vague ideas of corporate evil and heads of state fit perfectly into our newly minted interests in things we can hardly begin to understand. But you don't need to understand much to fully appreciate being holed up in your bedroom listening to Let Down on blast on our iPod alarm clock radio while thinking about your crush in Algebra who looked at you for a full 2 seconds that day. For their part, Radiohead has done well in transitioning these 13 y/os with burgeoning interests in music to transition to less juvenile acts. They've aped Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Can, etc and thusly led their teenage fans down that road. Fast forward to their latest, 'A Moon Shaped Pool'. Radiohead seem to have given up on appropriating genuinely interesting music in favor of rehashing what sounds like a mishmash of Coldplay's greatest hits. For any well-learned, well-listened educated person the fact that the album is bad is not surprising. Radiohead have never produced a genuinely good album in their careers. But, still, they served a valuable purpose in the lives of music fans by leading them to greener pastures. With their ninth record instead they give them the finger and point to A.M.-radio-Superbowl-halftime-life-insurance-commercial ""rock"" music. Rock in scare quotes because as much as they still retain their love for guitars and drums and bass this is the most flaccid sound ever produced from an ostensibly uproarious art form. I mean, Steely Dan managed to make tepid rock music sound nice by combining it with white-people-jazz and a supreme ear for melody but I can't say anything as redeeming for this heap Radiohead has put out. It's mid-tempo background music for 50 minutes. I almost don't want to call this music. 'Music' has the import of art. This sounds like computer-generated sound for playing in department stores meant to keep young shoplifters out of the store by boring them to tears.
>>
>>8031245
>"and in the end, he was actually black"
>"wow jim that explains why they thought he was the The Human Stain!"
>>
>>8031245
I put the book down at that point and tried reading The Plot Against America. It was 400 pages of oy-veying.
>>
>>8031248
>His descriptions are excellent
His prose style is dogshit.
>>
>>8031248

>Yeah guys! The true definition of art is technical skill and originality along with perfect language symmetry and beautiful descriptions! None of us can agree on who does it best but literature isnt subjective somehow, and its never my fault if I refused to identity with a black author it just means she's shit and if anyone else did that means they are stupid!
>>
>>8031261
I said descriptions.
But I'm sure someone who can't even make that differentiation is a qualified critic of art lel
>>
beloved seems as a modern rip-off of the uncle tom's cabin

literally the only ~semi-decent black author who doesn't write about their fucking race which you provided yet it's gloria naylor
>>
>>8031264
>Yeah guys! If you make any points above my level of intelligence, I'll just say hurr durr art is subjective you can't know nothing and mumble incoherent platitudes
>>
>>8031252
The joke originates from afrocentrists who think that Africa had royalty like England did, mixed with racism that makes fun of how ghetto folks talk
>>
>>8031118
>Morrison's only compassion is towards herself and other dark-skinned women
does this mean you are unable to relate because you are not a black woman?

Morrison is a good poster child for post structuralism and the form in which she expresses it is not bad. I am not saying post structuralism is above other movements.
>>
>>8031274
>mixed with racism that makes fun of how ghetto folks talk
Kek, grow up
>>
I would like to begin a round-robin story where people write and submit chapters for a continuing story. If any of you are interested there can be a competition where people send in the first chapter, and the one voted best – by the 4chan community - is chosen to be the first. Then there’ll be a contest for the second chapter, then the third, and so on. And this contest will go on until the final chapter.

Rules:

(1) There will be a deadline for participants to submit their work. Af-ter the deadline, everyone will read the submitted chapters and vote for the best one. After the decision is made, the contest for the next chapter will begin with a deadline. I would have the deadline be the end-beginning of each month so participants have a whole month to finish and submit their chapters.

(2) Each chapter must be sent in a PDF form with the following in-structions:

Paper size: A4 (210mm x 297mm)
Font: Times Roman or Times New Roman
Font Size: 12
Spacing: double
Page Numbering: yes
Margins: 1 inch

(3) The finished project would not be published; it will be a public domain, fanfic ‘internet novel’ in PDF form. It will be viral and avail-able for download, much like a ‘Wu Ming Foundation’ novel. Because of this, feel free to include all your favourite characters from televi-sion, movies, manga, anime, etc. including real-life and historical persons – Ron Paul, Stalin, Trump, etc.

My suggestion for the novels premise is the campaign and presidency of President Pepe Trump?
>>
>>8031273

>Below my intelligence.

At least my argument actually had an argument besides "ur 2 dum to unnerstand me!"
>>
No different than white authors jerking over their "existential crisis" or some lost love or former glory.
>>
>>8031286
>At least my argument actually had an argument
>hurr durr cant know nuffin
brilliant
>>
>the black experience
pure ideology
>>
>>8031294
I hope you choke on your coffee at the offbrand Starbucks type restaurant that you always go to and i hope you leave your screenplay open so the EMTs can laugh as they fail to revive you.

That's how much I hate your pompous little attitude, god damn you must think that your shit is actually the cure for cancer.
>>
>>8030983
I search a random name on Google and it's about romantic fiction with Stockholm syndrome in background. If this is enough to be a “prominent writer” or a “literary sage” (?) this list is worthless. Also,
>Stephen King
Please.
>>
File: 1404064925975.png (165 KB, 306x480) Image search: [Google]
1404064925975.png
165 KB, 306x480
>>8030930
>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/books/fiction-25-years.html

>DeLillo and Roth losing to Gibes me Dat
>>
>>8031294
If you and the other elitists faggots on here can't come to an agreement on who writes the best how the FUCK IS THAT DEFINITIVE YOU STUPID CUNT
>>
>>8031311
The fist stage of chemo is hatred. Let it flow through you my child.
Soon you shall join Nabokov and I in our defense of aesthetics.
>>
>>8031316
DeLillo and Roth are nothing special. But they are better than Toni Morrison who has a Nobel Prize while James Joyce has nothing but people laughing at his fart letters.
>>
>>8031033
Some contestants are mentioned two to six times in a list of twenty titles. What is that? There are, like, forty writers in the entire United States?
>>
>>8031135

I agree with you about M&D but for chrissake give Roth another chance. I read The Plot Against America and thought it was competent and interesting, but nothing special. American Pastoral blew me away and has stuck with me. It's fucking great.
>>
>>8031326
any nobel prize except for hard sciences is an utter shit

come on, gorbachev, obama and malala have it
>>
>>8031229
>>8031229
Nobody ever agrees on a concept? Just throw one out. There's no need to be so evasive.

Also, if blackness, class, and oppression are not fit subjects for art, what are?

Only white people? Depictions of lives that miraculously escape class status?

>>8031248
So Toni Morrison is not technically skilled? How is she deficient?

Does technical skill = universal appeal?

>>8031288
Exactly. Why should those be considered universally appealing?

>>8031267
What's the difference?
>>
>>8031334
networking in action :^)
>>
>>8031340
All Roth novels are about some Jew lost in the New Jersey. It's dull and repetitive.
>>
I thought Song of Solomon was very good
>>
>>8031248
btw Beloved is explicitly concerned with how "beautiful descriptions" interface with racial violence. (see pic related)
>>
>>8031351
Does technical skill = universal appeal?

People will vary their degree of appeal to technical skill, but yes it is a major factor.Otherwise how else is is the artist's intention created?
>>
>>8031358
>reading for plot
>>
>>8031408
That is piss poor description.
>fire and brimstone
Haven't we had enough of this sort of thing?
>>
>>8031428
stop acting like you didnt skim that shit
>>
Lol at all the "lel all she writes about is being black/a woman" plot reader plebs.

A critical reading of her novels shows she's objectively the best American author quite easily.
>>
>>8031561
>A critical reading of her novels shows she's objectively the best American author quite easily.
Because of such intricately descriptive language as "beautiful sycamores" and cliches like "fire and brimstone
>>
>>8031597
>literally glazed over the package and dosent get why she used that term
>thinks hes in any position to tall shit when hes not even capable of reading

Workshop kiddies just go
>>
>>8031602
>>literally glazed over the package and dosent get why she used that term
I do, it's still cheap and ineffective. And there is no skilled description to be found, just simpleton psychology.
>>
>>8031610
>simpleton psychology

Lol do tell
>>
>>8031198
>non-entities
>delillo
>Bloom
>King
>Wolfe
>volllman

Anyway, Toni is pretty good.

B8 thread
>>
>>8031351
>Only white people? Depictions of lives that miraculously escape class status?
Just admit you don't actually read, and are illiterate.
>>8031561
I hope you realize that blackness/womanness is not plot related.

Her writing is also garbage and she has the creativity of an autistic child.
>>8031628
Yes, those are non-entities.

Just because you jerk off to their garbage doesn't make them above garbage.
>>
>>8031588
>we should be careful to know those issue arises chiefly among American Blacks and should address them directly
No, we should address to people who do struggle with those issues, and we should be aware this group has a name, “poverty”. It excludes the few Black people who aren't qualified and includes the majority, which is fine, exempting us the victimhood contest that will inevitably arises. What about the Arab? What about the Muslim? What about the Mexican? What about the native American community? No, let's stick with the pertinent variable and flush away the irrelevant ones. This way, we can hope the Black will cease to be spoon-fed by deluded liberals and create genuine pieces of art.

>>8031609
Actually, a lot. I mentioned Ben Okri but I could also talk about Wole Soyinka or Buchi Emecheta, who wrote on sexual violence, motherhood, African borders, war, religion, ethnicity conflicts and so on, and the whole regionalist current as a whole.
>>
>>8031628

>delillo

a non-entity, you even don't bother to capitalize his name

>Bloom

ok, he was missed in the list of non-entities crowded around him

>King

was mentioned as a notable author of urination thrillers

>Wolfe

not gene wolfe, dude; tom wolfe is a non-entity

>volllman

a non-entity, you even don't bother to capitalize his name
>>
>>8031644
What a horrible, thoughtless, uncharitable post. Does anyone love you? Would the world be better off if you died?
>>
>>8031644
>I hope you realize that blackness/womanness is not plot related
It's related to the content of the writing. Literature is about the medium not the message, you filthy pleb.
>>
>>8031653
Please ignore this post, I was in the wrong thread.
>>
>>8031660
>What a horrible, thoughtless, uncharitable post
>omg muh black ppl ur stupid if you dont like thing i like
>>8031663
t. 17-year-old student taking a low-level English course through his local CC.
>>
>>8031678
>reading for plot

Cute.
>>
>>8031173

>world's too writers

According to who?
>>
>>8030904
She's great at being black.
>>
>>8031678
>digging your hole even deeper

Sad, but not unexpected!
>>
>>8031684
Are you illiterate as well? I just said it doesn't relate to plot.
>>
File: fs.jpg (1009 KB, 2574x1690) Image search: [Google]
fs.jpg
1009 KB, 2574x1690
>Erica Weitzman received her Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from New York University in the spring of 2012. Her forthcoming book, Irony’s Antics: Walser, Kafka, Roth and the German Comic Tradition (Northwestern University Press), explores the ways in which Romantic irony is reactivated in the early twentieth century to create a new form of the comic with broad implications. Her current project focuses on the notion of the obscene as a problem of representation in German realism, particularly in terms of the crossing of the “reality effect” and the waning of anthropological framing devices. Weitzman has spent the past year at the Universität Konstanz as a Volkswagen Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow with the Graduiertenkolleg “Das Reale in der Kultur der Moderne.” As a Mellon Fellow in the departments of German and Comparative Literature at Berkeley, she will be teaching courses on German and European literature, aesthetics, and intellectual history.
>>
>>8031351
>Only white people? Depictions of lives that miraculously escape class status?

>Dostoevsky
>Balzac
>Marquez
>Literally all of Naturalism
>a big chunk of modernism
>escaping or ignoring class status
>>
>>8031705
You keep citing aspects of subject matter, which is utterly irrelevant to literary merit.
>>
>>8031428
>>8031597
>>8031610

Neither of those phrases are convincing examples of Morrison's deficiency as a prose stylist.

Even if they were, your criticism is a non sequitur. My point in posting that selection was not to give you an example of "intricately descriptive language." It was supposed to suggest that Morrison's prose style is deliberately and self-consciously conflicted about its own claim on beauty, to say the least. (This is not equivalent to saying that her style is deliberately and self-consciously "bad.")

One of the arguments in this thread has been that we need to separate a novel's form (which can be universally appreciated) from its entanglement with cultural, historical, and political realities (which ostensibly belong to an "agenda" foreign to the novel's value as an aesthetic object).

What's interesting about that passage, though, is that it detects something both shameful and irresistible in the aestheticization of slavery / Jim Crow. It's shameful because beauty is "shameless" or indifferent to what it represents -- the beauty of the sycamores overrides the violence of the lynching that happens on the sycamores. This also ties into Morrison's concept of "rememory," but it would be too much of a tangent to get into that now.

how aestheticizing racial violence displaces the reality of that violence itself.

More simply, Morrison is not claiming "blackness" in a way that
>>
File: pfffft.jpg (14 KB, 320x187) Image search: [Google]
pfffft.jpg
14 KB, 320x187
>>8031722
>literary merit
>he fell for that meme
>>
>>8031722
>becuz i sed so

Don't you have finals coming up soon?
>>
>>8031732
Fell for what "meme"? Being educated?
>>
Quiz time, /lit/, pick out which among these /lit/ approved authors is Morrison. bonus points if you guess the rest.
>And I even crawled on my back, plunging my crutches blindly behind me into the thickets, and with the black boughs for sky to my closing eyes. I was on my way to mother. And from time to time I said, Mother, to encourage me I suppose.
>In the early part of the afternoon, drenched in sunlight and certain this would be the last time he would invite them to end their lives neatly and sweetly, he walked over the rickety bridge and on into the bottom. But it was not heartfelt this time, not living this time, for he no longer cared whether he helped them or not.
>While dragging herself up she had to hang onto the rail. Her twisted progress was that of a cripple. Once on the open deck she felt the solid impact of the black night, and the mobility of the accidental home she was about to leave.
>She reached out and took his wrist. Her hands cool and firm. He covered it with his own. She had her eyes fixed on him and would not look elsewhere. they were a pure cold gray and something feral in them but there was no malice there.
>>
>>8031644
hahaha wow. yes I'm illiterate

>>8031728
ignore scraps at the bottom please
>>
File: z.jpg (12 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
z.jpg
12 KB, 236x305
>>8031746
>aestheticism
>educated
>>
It's like saying Citizen Kane can't be a good movie because it's about a rich guy, or that Lolita can't be a good novel because it's about a pedophile. Great art can be "about" any subject matter. If this is confusing for you, return to /pol/.
>>
>>8031762
You fail to realize that ALL of Morrison's work is about being black.
>>
>>8031774
That doesn't mean that her work cant be great writing does it. Dont you faggots always preach that reading for the plot is useless?
>>
>>8031779
>writing does it
beautiful sycamores were beautiful
>>
>>8031774
Great art can be "about" any subject matter. If this is confusing for you, return to /pol/.
>>
>>8031790
>If I oversimplify the prose anon will agree with me that it isn't good and I wont be a faggot.

It didn't work fag, also why did you neglect the rest of my point?
>>
>>8031774
Lol. Her books are about 'being black' as much as white author's books are about being white.
>>
>>8031779
Her writing is awful, though.

Now, stop trolling or go back to /b/. Theme is not plot, context and content is not plot.
>>8031792
>becuz i sed so
>>8031800
Clearly you have read neither.
>>
>>8031800
that anon will never read her books so the point is moot
>>
>>8031754
One of them is Beckett (from Molloy), no? I guessed that one and googled the others desu.
>>
>>8031804
>that anon will never read her books so the point is moot
You project.

Study for your finals already.
>>
>>8031800
that's why she writes fanfics for the uncle tom's cabin

imo americans would better have deported all shitskins when they abolished the slavery, those are useless and only soil the country... can't even write a single book about human beings whose skin color doesn't matter
>>
>>8031803
>Her writing is awful, though.
You've never read her novels, so how would you know?
>>
>>8031803
>It sucks tho cuz I said so
This is NOT an argument. I'm sick of your juvenile egotistical, mentally broken, cancerous, elitist, vile shit. Bye.
>>
>>8031813
See: >>8031809
>>8031814
>YOU FUCKING WHITE MALE! *posts buzzwords*
>>
>>8031817
Yeah but there weren't any buzzwords and you are projecting.

Really just give up, go pretend to read your favorite novelist and tell your mom how one day you'll be the next version of him.

She will tell you that you need to move out first but don't give up, someone will need the books you write to burn in case of a winter emergency.
>>
>>8031817
You have never read a novel by Toni Morrison, and yet you are participating in this thread? Back to /pol/, trollio.
>>
>>8031817
oh the ironing
>>
>>8031824
>Yeah but there weren't any buzzwords
Stop trolling, you aren't subtle or clever or anything.
>>8031825
Except I have, I had to take a course on her and Woolf.
8 years ago, before you even had hair on your balls.
>>
For the record, I don't even think Morrison is the greatest novelists at all.

I just think that she could be considered a great American novelist no matter what pol or elitists think.
>>
If I were a nigger I would go insane from constantly being hyperconscious of how EVERY bit of recognition you get from mainstream (i.e white) society is at least partly patronizing

Imagine seeing yourself on Time magazine with the caption "The Great American Novelist" and knowing that the authors and editors were not only consciously pandering, because they knew it'd get talked about and make white people feel progressive and a hundred other subtle things like that which can't even be articulated, but unconsciously pandering as well, because of their constant instinct to do "nice" things for the poor downtrodden niggers, AKA give them false praise because they're not as human as white people and can't earn it on their own.

Imagine being on the cover of Time fucking magazine and having to wonder how much of this moment, how much of your career that led up to it, was because white people were pandering to you like you're a fucking child.
>>
>>8031710
Please explain how naturalism could possibly escape or ignore class status. That seems totally incoherent to me, but I haven't read many naturalist novels, except recently House of Mirth and L'Argent years ago

(House of Mirth at least is explicitly about its protagonist's inability to escape her loss of class status.)

Also see:

http://public.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/natural.htm
>>
>>8031843
>if you disagree with me ur pol or elitist
I'm done with you.
>>
she's ok
>Although her novels typically concentrate on black women, Morrison does not identify her works as feminist. When asked in a 1998 interview "Why distance oneself from feminism?" she replied: "In order to be as free as I possibly can, in my own imagination, I can't take positions that are closed. Everything I've ever done, in the writing world, has been to expand articulation, rather than to close it, to open doors, sometimes, not even closing the book – leaving the endings open for reinterpretation, revisitation, a little ambiguity."
>>
>>8031841
Bullshit. You're a pleb, and your shitposting has gone completely off the rails. Now you are pretending to have read books you never opened. Pathetic.
>>
>>8031844
>Anytime a black person does anything good its just pandering and they are all actually shitty mud niggers who I hate!!!!
>>
>>8031853
That's not what I said but I'm glad you might shut the fuck up.

Now fuck off and die
>>
>>8031817
lol at using a literal /pol/ meme to accuse someone else of using buzzwords
>>
>>8031841
I think it's actually worse imagining a 30+ year old man shitposting on a board of 18-20 year olds

also
>224 posts
>42 IPs
>>
>>8031857
>You're a pleb
Stop projecting, please.
>>8031860
aw did bb fail his English final because he was too busy being le master troll online? my girlfriend is around your age and did fine, why can't you do as well Mr. Supreme Gentleman?
>>8031862
Memes aren't buzzwords.
>>8031863
28*
>>
>>8031853
>uses the "you can't handle disagreement" meme to avoid addressing a disagreement
>>
>>8031859
Missed the point.
>>
>>8031841
>I had to take a course on her and Woolf

dem universities which shove vagina lit into the throats of students
>>
>>8031872
It honestly could be much worse than Woolf and Morrison.

Morrison is bad but not absolutely awful.
>>
>>8030904

>great
>american
>novelist
>the

>>
>>8031844
Thats why my policy is "To hell with you all."

t. Black
>>
overrated tbqh (to be quite honest)
>>
>>8031844
sounds nice
since when taking opportunities was bad, if some cucks give you something on a silver plate for their silly cuck reasons - take it and demand more
>>
>>8031925
Interesting. I read it as "The Great American Novelist".
Unique perspective you have.
>>
>>8031800
Go read the Western canon and see how many of the authors write about their whiteness.
>>
>>8031316
of the Harold Bloom meme team, Pynchon > DeLillo >> McCarthy > Roth >>> Morrison
>>
>>8032126

Though in many natural objects, whiteness refiningly enhances beauty, as
if imparting some special virtue of its own, as in marbles, japonicas,
and pearls; and though various nations have in some way recognised a
certain royal preeminence in this hue; even the barbaric, grand old
kings of Pegu placing the title "Lord of the White Elephants" above all
their other magniloquent ascriptions of dominion; and the modern kings
of Siam unfurling the same snow-white quadruped in the royal standard;
and the Hanoverian flag bearing the one figure of a snow-white charger;
and the great Austrian Empire, Caesarian, heir to overlording Rome,
having for the imperial colour the same imperial hue; and though this
pre-eminence in it applies to the human race itself, giving the white
man ideal mastership over every dusky tribe; and though, besides, all
this, whiteness has been even made significant of gladness, for among
the Romans a white stone marked a joyful day; and though in other mortal
sympathies and symbolizings, this same hue is made the emblem of many
touching, noble things--the innocence of brides, the benignity of age;
though among the Red Men of America the giving of the white belt
of wampum was the deepest pledge of honour; though in many climes,
whiteness typifies the majesty of Justice in the ermine of the Judge,
and contributes to the daily state of kings and queens drawn by
milk-white steeds; though even in the higher mysteries of the most
august religions it has been made the symbol of the divine spotlessness
and power; by the Persian fire worshippers, the white forked flame being
held the holiest on the altar; and in the Greek mythologies, Great Jove
himself being made incarnate in a snow-white bull; and though to the
noble Iroquois, the midwinter sacrifice of the sacred White Dog was
by far the holiest festival of their theology, that spotless, faithful
creature being held the purest envoy they could send to the Great Spirit
with the annual tidings of their own fidelity; and though directly from
the Latin word for white, all Christian priests derive the name of
one part of their sacred vesture, the alb or tunic, worn beneath the
cassock; and though among the holy pomps of the Romish faith, white is
specially employed in the celebration of the Passion of our Lord; though
in the Vision of St. John, white robes are given to the redeemed, and
the four-and-twenty elders stand clothed in white before the great-white
throne, and the Holy One that sitteth there white like wool; yet for all
these accumulated associations, with whatever is sweet, and honourable,
and sublime, there yet lurks an elusive something in the innermost idea
of this hue, which strikes more of panic to the soul than that redness
which affrights in blood.
>>
>>8032126
Perhaps it may appear on enquiry, that blackness and darkness are in some degree painful by their natural operation, in- dependent of any associations whatsoever. I must observe, that the ideas of darkness and blackness are much the same; and they differ only in this, that blackness is a more confined idea. Mr. Cheselden*has given us a very curious story of a boy, who had been born blind, and continued so until he was thirteen or fourteen years old; he was then couched for a cataract, by which operation he received his sight. Among many remarkable particulars that attended his first perceptions, and judgments on visual objects, Cheselden tells us, that the first time the boy saw a black object, it gave him great uneasiness; and that some time after, upon accidentally seeing a negro woman, he was struck with great horror at the sight. The horror, in this case, can scarcely be supposed to arise from any association. The boy appears by the account to have been particularlyobserving, and sensible for one of his age: and therefore, it is probable, if the great uneasiness he felt at the first sight of black had arisen from its connexion with any other disagreeable ideas, he would have observed and mentioned it. For an idea, disagreeable only by association, has the cause of its ill effect on the passions evident enough at the first impression; in ordinary cases, it is indeed frequently lost; but this is, because the original associa- tion was made very early, and the consequent impression repeated often. In our instance, there was no time for such an habit; and there is no reason to think, that the ill effects of
black on his imagination were more owing to its connexion with any disagreeable ideas, than that the good effects of more cheerful colours were derived from their connexion with pleasing ones. They had both probably their effects from their natural operation.
>>
>>8032305

Below the corporeal schema I had sketched a historico-racial schema. The elements that I
used had been provided for me not by “residual sensations and perceptions primarily of a
tactile, vestibular, kinesthetic, visual character,” but by the other, the white man, who had
woven me out of a thousand details, anecdotes, stories. I thought that what I had in hand
was to construct a physiological self, to balance space, to localize sensations, and here I was
called on for more.

“Look, a Negro!” It was an external stimulus that flicked over me as I passed by. I made a
tight smile.

“Look, a Negro!” It was true. It amused me.

“Look, a Negro!” The circle was a drawing a bit tighter. I made no secret of my amusement.

“Mama, see the Negro! I’m frightened!” Frightened! Frightened! Now they were beginning to
be afraid of me. I made up my mind to laugh myself to tears, but laughter had become
impossible.

I could no longer laugh, because I already knew there were legends, stories, history, and
above all historicity, which I had learned about from Jaspers. Then, assailed at various
points, the corporeal schema crumbled, its place taken by a racial epidermal schema. In the
train it was no longer a question of being aware of my body in the third person but in a triple
person. In the train I was given not one but two, three places. I had already stopped being
amused. It was not that I was finding febrile coordinates in the world. I existed triply: I
occupied space. I moved toward the other … and the evanescent other, hostile but not
opaque, transparent, not there, disappeared. Nausea. …
>>
>>8030983
How many of these names does /lit/ actually recognise? Personally I recognise 10.
>>
>>8031312
That's the only name you recognized isn't it
>>
>>8030983
Maybe it's cuz I'm American, but I recognize 60 of those names.
>>
>>8030904
im estonian and think shes sexy as fuck
>>
>>8030939
Name one country other than France that has, in the past 60 years, been as prominent in the literary world as America.
Hard Mode: name twenty or more authors that contribute to your claim.
>>
>>8031005
Correction: you haven't read any of the greatest living writers. Allow me to provide you with some:
Thomas Pynchon
William Gass
John Barth
William T. Vollmann
Joseph McElroy
Jacques Roubaud
Salman Rushdie
Alexander Theroux
Robert Coover
Julian Rios
>>
>>8031326
Fart fetish is an automatic elimination.
>>
File: 1447258050098.gif (3 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1447258050098.gif
3 MB, 240x180
>>8032481
>no McCarthy
>>
>>8032481
Maybe 1 of those could be considered an actually great writer. Maybe. You should be castrated for this list.
>>
>>8032530
McCarthy is good, but he doesn't come close to any of them.
>>
>>8032530
Sorry, no corncobbers made the cut.
>>
>>8032546
I can almost guarantee you've only read one or two of them.
>>
>>8032571
Thomas Pynchon
William Gass
John Barth
William T. Vollmann
Joseph McElroy
Salman Rushdie
Alexander Theroux

Maybe we have different conceptions of great writers.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
>>8032481
> no Bukowski
>>
>>8031033
American Pastoral best novel on there.

Havent read Run Rabbit Run tho
>>
File: 1460343383028.jpg (13 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1460343383028.jpg
13 KB, 240x240
>>8032578
I guess so, anon.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.