[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a book ever given you a sense of purpose and direction which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: gosling.gif (4 MB, 581x327) Image search: [Google]
gosling.gif
4 MB, 581x327
Has a book ever given you a sense of purpose and direction which didn't fade after 15 minutes?
>>
>>8028535

Read Whitman's Leaves of Grass
>>
>>8028632
>life is good because i get to look at trees

think i'll pass
>>
>>8028535
lol go ask your DAD
>>
>>8028656
why would he know
>>
>>8028645

That's...not what it's about...like, at all...but you go right ahead cool kiddo and keep being a pleb.

You'll grow up someday.
>>
>>8028645

>Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
>Is hung with bloom along the bough,
>And stands about the woodland ride
>Wearing white for Eastertide.

>Now, of my threescore years and ten,
>Twenty will not come again,
>And take from seventy springs a score,
>It only leaves me fifty more.

>And since to look at things in bloom
>Fifty springs are little room,
>About the woodlands I will go
>To see the cherry hung with snow.
>>
>>8028670
see this
>>8028672

that summary albeit tongue-in-cheek is essentially correct.
>>
>>8028672
>>8028683

Even if that were a poem from of Whitman's or from Leaves of Grass, it's 74 words out of I don't know how many.

You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>8028660
just be like "dad, i have no sense of purpose or direction, please tell me what to do" and obey his orders
>>
>>8028712

"Get a fucking job and get out of my God damn basement. I wish I came on your mother's face instead."
>>
>>8028703
i've made a claim, there was one piece of evidence given that supports it.

You've just said no and called me names a couple times now.

I'd be more embarrassed going with your tactic t b h
>>
>>8028712
he'd probably tell me i can do whatever provided i provide for myself while underneath wishing i had a high status job.

ty 4 the advice tho
>>
>>8028723

>i've made a claim, there was one piece of evidence given that supports it.

You're claim isn't even a Whitman poem, let alone from Leaves of Grass. It's from A.E. Housman.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>8028742
still nothing to go against what i said initially
>>
i quoted housman because 'a shropshire lad' much better fits the idea of a tree watching poem than 'leaves of grass'

not like trees are not mentioned in the 'leaves...' but they are usually either liquid or their roots bequeath something to the future trees or stuff like that
>>
>>8028535
Reading Dostoevsky as a teenager really helped me grow out of my edgelord phase, desu.
>>
>>8028535
>taking longer than a 15 minute break between reading

casual
>>
>>8028749
>>8028750

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you retarded?

You asked:

>Has a book ever given you a sense of purpose and direction which didn't fade after 15 minutes?

To give you an honest answer, I say:

>Read Whitman's Leaves of Grass

You reply with cool kid snark (shouldn't have been surprised because of the original gif):

>life is good because i get to look at trees

>think i'll pass

I tell you that's not what it's about, then you quote an A.E. Housman poem as evidence because it fits the idea of a tree watching poem?

Listen, kid. I don't care. If you want to be a retard the rest of your life, be a retard. This is clearly a waste of time.
>>
That shit doesnt exist, your percepetion of reality changes slowly
>>
>>8028780
see
>>8028749

you haven't said why it's not like that, you've just said it's not and then brootal insults.

There are plenty of mentions of the greatness of trees in Leaves of Grass, i trivialised it because I don't think it's the kind of thing that'd motivate me from what ableit little i've read of it. I thought that quote was from it because it sounds alot like some of the stuff in it.

If you don't want to explain why you think it's motivating fine, but that doesn't mean i'm wrong for thinking it's not and any number of 'you are le retard, i win' remarks isn't going to change my or anyone else you're trying to impress's mind
>>
>>8028780
the housman poem was quoted by me and i even bothered to explain why
>>
>>8028797
>I thought that quote was from it because it sounds alot like some of the stuff in it.

the leaves of grass are not rhymed whatsoever and have no meter and that piece is rhymed and has a proper meter
>>
File: mindset.jpg (269 KB, 1545x2400) Image search: [Google]
mindset.jpg
269 KB, 1545x2400
Cover does a poor job conveying the importance and rationality of the things this book says.
>>
the holy bible
>>
File: mfw_big_salads.png (328 KB, 346x482) Image search: [Google]
mfw_big_salads.png
328 KB, 346x482
>>8028895
>self-help books
>>
Oh look, it's this thread again!
>>
>>8029033
You would benefit from reading this.
>>
>>8029034
To what good is this assertion? There are a set of questions that most will ask, multiple times in their life, (there is a god? What is "God"? How can I improve my writing skills, ecc, ecc).

Of course such threads will keep happening, should we just discuss it once, when it is highly improbable we could find a definitive consensus that we could simply staple on the first page.
>>
>>8029195

Costanza would. a normal human would not though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsM35H9TFA
>>
>>8028535
If you wish to enjoy your own value, you must give value to the world.
>>
>>8031521
I'll bet you a nickle that you haven't read over the archives.

The point is you're lazy. Starting the same thread from scratch without building on the knowledge and perspectives gained by previous threads of the same subject should make you feel inadequate, but it won't.
>>
>>8029034
This shit belongs on reddit.
>>
>>8031567
Yeah. It's basically self-help recommendations.

Which are all the same, just different words-same ideas, relatively.
>>
>>8028712
This is unironically good advice
>>8028716
This is also great advice.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.