[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Describe the action
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: ref.jpg (113 KB, 353x486) Image search: [Google]
ref.jpg
113 KB, 353x486
Ever had an action, a pose, or maybe even a facial expression that you're having trouble describing accurately without using a clutter of words? Post a description and/or an image here, other anons will help you.

I'll start.
>what is a good description for a shrug (pic related) that is done out of anger, that physically screams "what the fuck are you doing/talking about?"
An aggressive shrug? An exasperated shrug? They all sound ridiculous to me. I hope someone knows a good suggestion.
>>
>>8017499
She threw her hands up (in anger)
>>
>>8017505
Thanks. That actually helped tremendously.

But now I just feel stupid for not realising it myself.
>>
She ate an imaginary rhino's ass out
>>
>>8017499
"THE BIGGEST SLICE OF WATERMELON IVE EVER HAD!"
>>
File: 1405024568625.jpg (44 KB, 480x483) Image search: [Google]
1405024568625.jpg
44 KB, 480x483
Not necessarily the physical action itself but more the feeling it portrays

;~;
>>
>>8017537
The warmth of her lithe body spread through me in pulses like an airboat driver's fart.
>>
>>8017537
She is hot and my back is sweaty and I'm uncomfortable and I can't sleep.
>>
Flicking her hands up, she bleated her disapproval.

Fuck off, Mom.
>>
>>8017521
>it was so abnormally large that I was overcome with fury
>>
>>8017537
Warmth, security, protection.

But the foot that's trapped in-between the man's legs looks so painful that it makes me cringe.
>>
>>8017510
You've probably heard that phrase ("she threw her hands up in anger") a hundred times without taking note of it. It's really a case of mentally collating those seemingly insignificant descriptions you often glide over.

t. someone with the same problem.
>>
File: 694.png (44 KB, 200x197) Image search: [Google]
694.png
44 KB, 200x197
Not OP, but I'm in a similar situation. How would you describe the look in pic related? It's not exasperated, it's not condescending, but I have no idea of what word I should use.
>>
>>8020047
Disappointment, disapproval. It's hard to get the particular tone of this look with a single word, so I'd suggest doing it through dialogue/detail as well. "What the fuck did you think would happen?", etc.
>>
>>8020047
"really, nigga?" is the first thing that comes to mind but like yourself I have no idea how to properly articulate that. I'd say it leans more toward disappointment/frustration than the two you put forward.
>>
>>8020047
"are you fucking kidding me"
>>
>>8020021
Most likely, since it clicked so easily once I read it. Here I was focusing on adjectives ("aggressive shrug") when I could've just used a simple, short description without using the word "shrug".

Thanks again.

>>8020047
Disregarding the frown, I really, really can't think of how to describe how he's pulling down his mouth muscles in a good way.

Bad example, but maybe someone could better it:
>He frowned and pushed the corners of his mouth in and sunk them deep into his cheeks.
But that almost sounds like he's forcing a smile.

>His mouth/lips tightened
is simpler, but may not be what you're looking for. I don't know. This shit is harder than it should be. I'm glad I made this thread so that it could be of use to others.
>>
File: micro_expressions_tim_roth.jpg (133 KB, 1020x910) Image search: [Google]
micro_expressions_tim_roth.jpg
133 KB, 1020x910
>>8020047
Looks like somewhere between anger and disgust. Try to find a human with that expression, it will make things easier.
>>
>>8020227
>surprise
Looks more like utter disbelief, but I'll buy it.
>>
Bothered and frustrated
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.