[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you hoard, /lit/? Do you buy books without thinking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: hoarding books.jpg (54 KB, 720x460) Image search: [Google]
hoarding books.jpg
54 KB, 720x460
Do you hoard, /lit/? Do you buy books without thinking?
>>
I thought I didn't have that problem because I make sure to read of my fiction books (sooner or later, but I always finish them).

I recently got a new interest and want to get a whole bunch of textbooks to get familiar with the subject as much as possible, and I fear that most of them will end up being dust collectors.

What do you do in a situation like this?
>>
>>8012758

only buy upon completion
>>
No, I only buy physical copies when:

1) It's a philosophy/technical book that I will need to annotate stuff
2) I can't find a decent .epub or ,mobi on the internet
3) The e-book I have has a shit translation or shit diagramation

God bless, Bibliotik.
>>
Absolutely

One dollar book sales every weekend does not help the situation
>>
I read every book. I used to "hoard" video games as in I bought so many without thinking cause SALEZZZZ but I never played a majority of them. I quit video games tho. But I understand where you're coming from about mindless buying. I don't do that with books tho. And I don't do it with anything else anymore either. Money is too important to waste away carelessly.
>>
No. I got a kobo now, I haven't bought a book since. Opened previously unavailable stuff I really wanted to read.
>>
I live in a city with good libraries. I don't really let myself buy books anymore.
>>
>>8012748
i have a lot of books but i don't really "hoard". i have given away most of the books i have ever owned.
>>
I used to when it was my parents' money, but ever since it has been my own money I've stopped. I've been financially independent for three years now, and I'm still working through my backlog of books from back then. I am buying the occasional book myself and reading them as I please though, plus I have to read a lot for grad school, so it isn't a product of slow reading. I'm 2 books-a-week.
But that is how bad I was.
>>
>>8012770
That's my problem. I usually read with my kindle or borrow books from the library, but the books I want don't work well on kindle (pdf files, image heavy, long textbooks) and aren't available in my library

>>8012767
What if the books are currenly on sale and in low stock? ;_;
>>
Books are the only thing I hoard. I never buy books without the intention of reading them, but I buy at a faster pace than I read. By the time I die I'll have so many I never got around to, which is terribly sad
>>
>>8012748
Not anymore.

I do have some from when I used to be less disciplined about the shit that I need to get rid of.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.