[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished the sound and the fury. before that I read mason
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 20160506_001125-1.jpg (3 MB, 2324x2151) Image search: [Google]
20160506_001125-1.jpg
3 MB, 2324x2151
just finished the sound and the fury. before that I read mason and Dixon. I have a problem. Faulkners prose was so shit Compared to M&D, I felt let down the entire time. what are some other books with amazing prose. I feel like pynchon ruined reading for me with that one book. what read?
>>
>>8007966
>reading Faulkner for the prose
There's your problem
>>
>pynchon
>good prose
>>>reddit is that way senpai
>>
>>8007972
I'm uneducated. I apologize.
>>
>>8007973
read mason and Dixon you faggot
>>
>>8007966
>pynchon
>any form of redeeming qualities

>>>/r/books/
>>
>>8007981
lool fuck off.
>>
File: 20160507_013304-1.jpg (3 MB, 1913x2613) Image search: [Google]
20160507_013304-1.jpg
3 MB, 1913x2613
>>8007981
smoke this in your pipe and smoke it
>>
>>8008014
>I can make long lists of random bits of imagery! That must mean I'm a good writer!
>>
>>8007966
Sound and the fury isn't faulkner's best prose, definitely. For that, read Absalom, Absalom. Though, I did remember some passages in Quentin's section and the ending section that were pretty good.
>>
>>8008019
you got me.
>>
>>8008024
>good prose = long bad sentences
why are prose plebs so stupid
>>
any of you "well read people" have any fucking suggestions of what to read?
>>
>>8008040
In Search of Lost Time
Since you liked M&D, read Gravity's Rainbow
Joyce's shist
Nabokov
Pessoa
Delillo
Barth
McElroy (though it's weird, it's good)
Hawkes
Gass (a meme, but a good meme -- atleast with regards to prose)
Gene Wolfe
>>
>>8008040
Just read William Gaddis and see the true light
>>
>>8008049
Oh yeah, how could I fucking forget Gaddis. Yeah, read The Recognitions.
>>
>>8008051
i started with Carpenter's Gothic and got my shit kicked in all kinds of ways

Agape Agapē is unforgettable as well

That man has no equal
>>
>>8008054
I've only read the Recognitions, but I can say that the consistency of the prose in the book, considering its 1000 page length, is incredible. Sometimes, his prose gets a little dry, but for the most part, he's able to maintain an impressive level of poise and beauty for impressively long stretches of time.
>>
>>8008067
Gaddis gets angrier from one book to the next

Do yourself a favor and at least read his grand finale, publushed immediately after his death, Agape Agapē
>>
>>8007979
oh my, a mad cucknadian! Alert reddit!
>>
>>8008014
You have shit taste for books. You have vanity above quality. You are a bad reader. You don't understand books.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.