[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did DFW's "E Unibus Pluram" predict the rise of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 137580310_w.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
137580310_w.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
Did DFW's "E Unibus Pluram" predict the rise of fundamentalist Islam across the Middle East, Africa, and the West?

The Wahhabist embrace of tradition and literal interpretation exists in direct opposition to the irony of moderate, Ottoman Islam as well as the agnostic secularism of the West.
>>
wahabba ya mama lol
>>
I don't think you have to be psychic to predict muslims getting violent
>>
>the rise
>>
>>8006937
This is an excellent insight, ISIS is undoubtedly the most sincere movement in the world today. I would say Trump's success is also due to his sincerity.
>>
Read infinite jest (the islam rabbit hole goes way deeer)
>>
>>8007942
Trump is less sincere than Hillary Clinton, but he happens to be a better actor
>>
>>8008036
Actually in a really twisted way Trump is extremely sincere. He's nakedly open about his quest to lie and steal and negotiate his way to a position of strength. He lies, but he does it so transparently that everyone knows he's lying. He's an honest liar, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>8007942
Trump is post-ironic.
>>
>>8007942
>>8008039
Trump is incredibly similar to Johnny Gentle
>>
>>8008064
make america clean again
>>
>>8008036
>>8008039
>increasingly nervous
>>
when will this 'is it sincere is it irony is it ironically sincerely ironic?!' meme die?
>>
>>8008347
When there is reason not to be so severely ironic anymore
>>
>>8008347
Relax and embrace the new sincerity, daddy-o.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.