[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you come up with story ideas that aren't shit/overdone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171 KB, 400x650
How do you come up with story ideas that aren't shit/overdone?
>>
luck
>>
>>8006674
by being a good fucking writer
>>
>>8006674
come up w/ idea -> research tvtropes for similar works -> refine idea -> research tvtropes for similar works focusing on fine details -> refine idea further -> research tvtropes for similar works focusing on finer details -> refine idea even further -> research tvtropes for similar works focusing on even finer details -> give up -> lurk tvtropes
>>
>>8006674
you don't. you just write them differently.
or go postmodern.
>>
You're over thinking it. What you put down organically is what your psyche thinks of you right now. If you're lucky what thinks of you will be the long dead shaman's rattle that stirs the willing ears of the masses. If its not its not but you should keep writing. Not every painting is a masterpiece.
>>
>>8006716
Somehow I think if you're using tvtropes regularly you're not writing anything worth reading to begin with.
>>
>>8006724
Somehow I think you a pseud
>>
>>8006716
>going to tvtropes at all
Found your problem.
>>
>>8006674
By not allowing yourself to become influenced by anything. If you are trying to make a point about society, you've already lost. The only thing that hasn't been written yet is the set of thoughts that you have while you can't fall asleep at night. And even within these thoughts, many of them are recycled from people before you. The only way to have good ideas is to dissect each idea that you have, until only its most important details remain.
Never try to impress anyone with your ideas, and never assume they have to be particularly clever.
Just be yourself, and girls will like you.
>>
Take an idea, take anotehr idea, take an element of one and stick it into another.

>Moby Dick
>A Confederacy of Dunces

>An Ignatius type character goes on a quest full of crazy events on a search for a lost manuscript of his favorite early medieval philospher...
>>
step 1: be a good writer
step 2: live an exciting life
>>
>>8006790
>>An Ignatius type character goes on a quest full of crazy events on a search for a lost manuscript of his favorite early medieval philospher...

Don Quixote?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.