[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished The Name of the Rose and wondered if anybody wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 119073.jpg (92 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
119073.jpg
92 KB, 308x475
Just finished The Name of the Rose and wondered if anybody wanted to stop cyclically navel gazing over Turgenev, Pynchon and DFW and have a discussion on the late great Umberto Eco.
>>
you start
>>
>>8004735
I love his work.

And the Apostilles to pic related are an amazing piece of literature insight.
>>
>>8004735
italian dan brown
>>
>>8004735
why did you use last names until umberto?
>>
He's reddit-tier
>>
more like DUMBERTO ECO
>>
>>8005090
this is the cancer
>>
>cyclically navel gazing over Turgenev, Pynchon and DFW
>Turgenev
did this autocorrect from Tao Lin?
>>
>>8005137
lmao
>>
>>8004735
someone give this man an upvote and buy him gold
>>
this board is basically a subreddit now
>>
>>8004984
just the opposite.
>>
who the fuck navel gazes over Turgenev
>>
>>8005137

As if this board would talk about a different russian author then tolstoy and dostovesky.
>>
File: edgy_guy.jpg (306 KB, 1185x771) Image search: [Google]
edgy_guy.jpg
306 KB, 1185x771
>>8005090
>>
>>8005381

Gogol is much more enjoyable than the trite christposting of those two.
>>
I guess not OP
>>
>>8004735
I can't stop navel gazing for too long, there's a Sean Connery film on about a monk's protege creaming inside of one of the young savage girls.
>>
I'm about 2/3 of the way through , and I'm finding it to be a very comfy, enjoyable read. Especially as someone who once studied Scholastic philosophy intensely, it's just fun.

If you happen to enjoy the elements of Scholastic philosophy found throughout, you should check out Eifelheim. Sure, it's dirty genre fiction but what's not to love about a Catholic priest trying to understand FTL using his knowledge of Aristotle and Augustine?
>>
>>8004735
it was fun but now that he's dead everybody's going to read him
>>
i have a copy of Baudolino on my shelf.
worth a read?
>>
>>8008234
Very much! It's more quixotic adventure than Name Of The Rose, highly enjoyable

dat disguised Wittgenstein quote in Name Of The Rose

I've been reading Eco's essays and they're very much hit and miss, lots of stuff on 80s Italy I really don't care about.

Nevertheless, the only Eco I'd stay clear of is Mysterious Flame Of Queen Loanna, it's Eco being nostalgic about his youth, no-one needs that.
>>
>>8008258
Thanks, appreciated.
>>
>>8004735
>wants to get into Umberto Eco
>reads The Name of the Rose and possibly even other fiction works

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A FUCKING BURGER
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.