[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/. I'm interested in classical books and authors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1920px-Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa2.jpg (709 KB, 1920x1314) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa2.jpg
709 KB, 1920x1314
Hello /lit/. I'm interested in classical books and authors like Shakespeare, Dante and Cervantes. The thing is that I haven't read any classical pieces before or many other books than some when I was a teenager, so should I read something to "prepare" myself for reading classical pieces by starting in some order so that I would "get it"? Or can you just go ahead and read all you want from where ever you want without it affecting your reading experience or understanding the book? Thank you for your time...
>>
>>8000262
Start with Shakespeare, if you can't enjoy him you're basically a permapleb.
>>
>>8000272
What book/books?
>>
>>8000307
Do you want humor, sadness, action, romace, historical stuff, etc? Its all there. Look around and see, you can't go wrong and none of the works are that long so you can power through them if you feel like they start off slow.

I don't know of your level of comprehension of his diction, if you feel like your having trouble, there's a few versions that define words and summarize scenes so you can both enjoy and understand the writing.
>>
File: Shakespeare.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
>>8000307
>>
>>8000307
Start with the plays ofc, then the sonnets.
>>
You can start with Cervantes if you want. Don Quixote is extremely accessible and you don't really need any prior knowledge to enjoy it.
>>
>>8000358
What editions are good for Shakespeare?
Is rsc fine?
>>
>>8000478
>you don't really need any prior knowledge to enjoy it.
Seriously? You won't get the real gist of it if you don't at least read about what originated it
>>
that dude who some people think is shakespeare because he died the same year as shakespeare was born
>>
>>8000358
>complex plot
>The Winter's Tale
lol
otherwise pretty good

>>8001823
Pelican editions
>>
>>8000262
>>8001828
This.
First read Antigone, Oedipus Rex, The Oresteia, and Prometheus Bound. Medea isn't essential but it's the best play ever written so read that too.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.