[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't enjoy this. Am I just too much of a pleb? I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (28 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
28 KB, 300x464
I can't enjoy this. Am I just too much of a pleb? I got maybe 60 pages in and I just can't slog through it anymore. I snorted in appreciation once, but otherwise I don't find it funny. I can see why people consider it funny, though. It reminds me of Catch-22, which I also hated.

Any tips?
>>
nobody actually has ever read that. people just pretend that they've read it.
>>
>>7992252
I've read it. it was funny and incredibly depressing at the same time.
>>
>>7992246
>giving up after 60 pages
Honestly, yes, you probably are a pleb. If you were a true patrician like me you would read every single word to the bitter end, periodically snorting in derision not at the humor but at the poor literary craftsmanship.

It's not even a challenging book; Absalom, Absalom! is about 200 pages depending on which version you purchase, and it's unbelievably more difficult and complex (and rewarding).
>>
>>7992246
Yes you are a pleb. I read 120 pages into it the first day. It isn't even challenging, if you can learn to appreciate the subtlety and get used to the footnotes, it is pretty good.
>>
>>7992246
Is it because you didn't like the book or found it difficult, because only the latter is pleb assuming you can articulate what about the book you didn't like. Still, just finish it, it only picks up in quality, last stretch of 150 pages is easily the best in the book.
>>
You're not a pleb, it's just a shitty book.
>>
no - ij is pseud garbage
>>
No, you're not necessarily a pleb. Wallace can be an exhausting and tedious writer, and he's not so great that it's your duty to grasp him. If you're worn out and bored, just move on.
>>
>>7992246
You can simply pass on this book without missing anything of value.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.