[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does there exist a Roman version of this? What is Romecore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1410622362089.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1410622362089.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
Does there exist a Roman version of this? What is Romecore?
>>
File: 1460584937981.jpg (2 MB, 4800x3834) Image search: [Google]
1460584937981.jpg
2 MB, 4800x3834
>>7992056
I think this is what you're talking about.
>>
>>7992083
I was hoping there was one put together as well as the Greek one.
>>
>>7992089
God damn man, it's got pictures and arrows, what more could you be looking for?
>>
>>7992262
I hoping that it would leap off the screen and give me a blowjob. :(
>>
>>7992083
Trash.

>>7992089
What are you interested in about Rome? Usually once you get started any book you read will reference other ancient writers (and modern investigations of them) in the same vein (poetry, drama, history) as the text you started with. The ball gets rolling pretty quickly.

So where are you looking to start? And how much time are you looking to commit?
>>
>>7992433
What is Virgilcore, I guess? Maybe Cicero?
>>
>>7992433
make a better one then faggot
>>
>>7992455
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

>>7992461
Rome doesn't work the way Greece did. Classical Greece has a handful of extant works, almost all of which are touched on or even exhausted with "starting with the Greeks." Rome has so much more stuff that survived that you basically need to have a genre in mind to create a path through Rome.

If all you want is to touch base with Rome, the above chart is fine, as it hits most of the big name guys, but you're better off just reading a recent book like Mackay. If you want to understand stuff like Roman history, culture, and values, that chart is shit. It's out of order, over/under emphasizes everything incorrectly, skips hugely influential people (both participants of history and writers of it), and completely fails to address crucial and extensive time periods of Roman history.

Ironically Gibbon is condemned as giving an inaccurate perspective of Rome, but reading him would probably leave someone better off than following that chart.
>>
What is considered the best translation of Sophocles? I have Robert Fagles version. I read Fagles translation of The Iliad, and I really enjoyed it, though I feel like I would probably enjoy other more accurate more translations more. Is he a good translator for Sophocles?
>>
>>7992056
>>7992455

>romecore
>virgilcore

/mu/tant detected
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.