[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gather 'round, children, and hear of the ultimate irl meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: animus.jpg (113 KB, 940x378) Image search: [Google]
animus.jpg
113 KB, 940x378
Gather 'round, children, and hear of the ultimate irl meme book, the most brazen act of self-promotion in literary history, and a genuinely mediocre novel.

It all started when an aging hippie made a fortune in the 90s internet boom and retired early. If he were anyone else, he would be on a yacht right now, enjoying the fruits of his labor. Instead, Rich Shapiro panicked, realizing he had become everything his younger hippie self hated. It was time to get his cred up, so he started writing. And writing and so on until he had birthed Wild Animus, a novel about an acid-head from the bay area who suffers from crippling delusions of being a wolf. Would a traditional publisher touch this? We may never know. It's entirely possible that Shapiro rejected The Man and decided to distribute Animus for free as an act of good will to the next generation.

In any event, the novel was distributed far and wide, by teams of paid college students and bums who left it in mailboxes, passed it out at marathons and left boxes of the novel in Ivy League dormitories.

I came across the book as a young middle-school lad in a resort/camp deep inside of Denali National Park in Alaska. Even though the prose hurt to read, I devoured the book, spurred on by my desire to read more about sex, drugs, and a lunatic trying to be a wolf. Was it left there by a guest, one of the seasonal workers at the camp, or did Shapiro personally make sure a copy made it to a location with such a connection to the book?

Has anybody else here encountered a copy of Animus? How did it come to you, and what did you think?
>>
Yeah around 2010ish when I was at the University of Toronto there were some other students exactly as you described handing out this book.

I think I still have it around. Pretty sure I read a few pages and thought it was shit.
>>
>>7991820
for a second I thought this is your story that you are shilling. is it? It's cool if you are. it's not bad, post more.
>>
>>7991848
Nah, Wild Animus is a novel this Shapiro guy wrote and self-published and then spent a fortune distributing in odd places for years and years.

It's just super bizarre and there are places where copies practically grow on trees. Somebody's probably put the whole thing online somewhere.
>>
Yeah, I got this book from like a good will. I was a freshman or something. It was fucking trash. Just terrible.
>>
File: sneakymerchant.jpg (40 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
sneakymerchant.jpg
40 KB, 491x491
>Shapero

yeah, no thank you
>>
>>7991898
What's your last name anon?
>>
Yeah, 2009/10 at my university (in southern New Zealand) it was being handed out by people who didn't know or care about it. There was a boxed set that came with 3 cds of instrumental hippie music to listen to while reading. I never read it but I figure if I ever bubble into ridiculous amounts of wealth I'll do something similar.
>>
>>7991820
It honestly reads like it was typed with one hand while the author fapped with the others but is also somehow holier-than-thou. Going around handing out copies of a shitty novel sounds like a dank summer job though.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.