[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
“I am completely an elitist, in the cultural but emphatically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Robert Hughes.jpg (365 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
Robert Hughes.jpg
365 KB, 1440x960
“I am completely an elitist, in the cultural but emphatically not the social sense. I prefer the good to the bad, the articulate to the mumbling, the aesthetically developed to the merely primitive, and full to partial consciousness. I love the spectacle of skill, whether it’s an expert gardener at work, or a good carpenter chopping dovetails . . . I don’t think stupid or ill-read people are as good to be with as wise and fully literate ones. I would rather watch a great tennis player than a mediocre one . . . Consequently, most of the human race doesn’t matter much to me, outside the normal and necessary frame of courtesy and the obligation to respect human rights. I see no reason to squirm around apologizing for this. I am, after all, a cultural critic, and my main job is to distinguish the good from the second-rate.”

What does /lit/ think of Robert Hughes?
>>
shit poet. riding off plath's coattails however shitty hers were
>>
>i like good things

woah
>>
File: RomanPatricians.jpg (25 KB, 260x317) Image search: [Google]
RomanPatricians.jpg
25 KB, 260x317
>>7991299
>not being an elitist in the social sense
Nothing to be proud of, tbqh.
>>
>>7991309
Basically.
>>
>>7991308
Ted Hughes not Robert.
>>
>>7991299
My favourite works of his were "The Fatal Shore" a history of the convict origins of Australia. His history of Rome was also excellent
>>
>>7991299
This quote makes him sound like a pretentious shit head.

His fans also sound like shit heads:
"I described him in the Guardian once as writing the English of Shakespeare, Milton, Macaulay and Dame Edna Everage; Hughes enjoyed the description. His prose was lithe, muscular and fast as a bunch of fives. He was incapable of writing the jargon of the art world, and consequently was treated by its mandarins with fear and loathing. Much he cared."
>>
>>7991299
I loved his biography on Goya. I've been meaning to read more of his work.
>>
>>7991299
He sounds like your typical /lit/izen, except with actual talent.
>>
>>7991706
The quote makes him sound correct, and this post makes you sound triggered.
>>
File: 1427357416111.jpg (324 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1427357416111.jpg
324 KB, 1280x1024
>>7991766
dubs of truth oust tumblrina

Good shit
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.