[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the tomes of stoicism? Meditations and what else?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1461889723258.jpg (67 KB, 680x1020) Image search: [Google]
1461889723258.jpg
67 KB, 680x1020
What are the tomes of stoicism? Meditations and what else?
>>
>>7990534
Why did someone photoshop these two pictures?
>>
>>7990537
couldn't find the book, i've searched google and amazon and everything. maybe you have the book title wrong?
>>
>>7990534
epictetus's manual is the only other text we have from stoicists so after you have read this and meditations you're pretty much set with stoicism
>>
>>7990534
The discourses of Epictetus and the enchiridion.

Really hard for me to get my head around this as its basic logic is that you are only offended by things based on your views and opinions on them. I understand it but I find it hard to do in my current state of mind because I feel like it would be letting people get away with fucking with me, which sounds beta as fuck. When I was younger I used to deal with shit by being too afraid to initially act and forgiving people, giving them chances and trying to get over it by letting it go. This is the only way I can not get offended by shit and it sounds weak to me, so it's kind of hard for me to practice the stoicism of Epictetus without feeling weak and powerless. Can anyone give me some advice? I literally get triggered by everything because I'm anxious, sensitive and feel weak for letting others get away with shit.
>>
>>7990681
How long have you been tryng to practice stoicism for?
>>
>>7990681
well, i thought stoicism was implemented as a numbing agent while you march forward to achieve things.

it sounds to me that you just need to accomplish some of your goals, and then you wouldn't feel so insecure.
>>
>>7990703
Not very. Read a little bit of Epictetus' discourses after finding this gem on return of kings.

Any advice? Any is appreciated.

>>7990681
Perhaps you're right. However I don't feel like it addresses why I can't apply stoicism without feeling like a weak fool. A fool for letting people get away with hurting me.

How do you apply stoicism to your life?
>>
>>7990726
>Perhaps you're right. However I don't feel like it addresses why I can't apply stoicism without feeling like a weak fool. A fool for letting people get away with hurting me.

How do you apply stoicism to your life?

Meant as a response to >>7990707

Surprising how many people are lurking this thread for this long
>>
>>7990726
I think you need more time. If you've been thinking a certain way your whole life, it will take a long time to think differently without it feeling unnatural. Personally stoicism assuaged some of my anxiety, but that was after many months of internalizing it. If you read Meditations you will see that even Aurelius has to remind himself to return to stoicism after straying. Don't expect stoicism to fix anything over night, it might help, but don't count on it. Also, you don't need to implement Epictetus stoicism perfectly, you can adjust it to fit your life if you need to. No one's keeping track. Don't compound your anxiety by wondering if you acted stoic enough in every little action. But basically, just give it more time. After that, if you feel like you've given it a fair shake, then maybe it just isn't for you.
>>
>>7990784
Thanks bro. I'll try
>>
desu senpai, my life changed after some stoicism and reading a napoleon bio
>>
Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Cicero, Seneca
>>
>>7990827
thx
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.